TI TPA3255EVM

There seems to be enough interest here in this specific board to warrant its own thread.

I was lucky enough to score one during a Texas Instruments 50% OFF promo; $81.49, including shipping. It is a significant improvement over the already excellent gmarsh “Wiener” TPA3118 for driving my 96dB efficient Klipsch based Speakers.

I’m powering it with a Mean Well LRS-350-48. Questions I have concern using the tiny rest switch constantly as the power switch.

Would it harm the unit to leave the reset switch in the “normal” position and interrupt the 48v DC with a more robust switch? Alternatively, would it be wise to leave the power on constantly? Without a safe way to avoid regular use of the reset switch, putting the board in a case is not practical.

Which letter did you omit? The 'h' or the 'r'? :)

Best regards!

That’s funny.

Blame Neil Young. The Pono concept was worthy; the execution was poor. That said, I like the ESS Sabre DAC and balanced output of mine so much, I’m seriously considering buying another as a backup. The first one would become a parts unit. I could put it on blocks in the yard.

I would not expect any harm with a hard disrupter.
These EVMs are quite rigid imho.
Anyway you may experience some "plop" noise during power turn-on or turn-off, depending on your setting (pre-amp etc).
Just check it out!

Actually, I tried it by accident. As usual, I had extension cords running all over the place during an initial audition. Each orange extension cord had a black plug inserted. I meant to unplug a soldering iron and accidentally unplugged the Mean Well. The music immediately stopped. I just as quickly plugged the Mean Well back in and the music immediately returned with no drama or long-term effects.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
AC ofcourse. If you want a standby-mode, I suggest you build a small module which switches the actual PS on and off (preferably with a relay). That way you can extend the lifetime of the SMPS, save on standby-power and have the comfort of a standby-device all at the same time. And if it reached its lifetime end, you can replace it much cheaper and easier than the actual PS.

Balanced input from a Pono player takes advantage of the units differential input capability. It’s cliched, but it’s like I’m hearing the good recordings for the first time. Kind of Blue is breathtaking. I don’t want it to stop.

Attachments

• 452C59A3-A12E-45F9-A1FA-701297E32CC7.jpg
    452C59A3-A12E-45F9-A1FA-701297E32CC7.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 638
Newbee here - ordered the board 3 weeks ago, getting it on Monday. A friend "loaned" me a SMPS from his server after I told him about Meanwell SMPS. He said its same as a computer server power supply. Here are the specs of the power supply.

input- 100-240v 7.6-3.65A

output - 12V --- 54A 12vsb --- 2.5A
total output 650W MAX

It has similar 5 pins connectors on one side of the PS. Not sure what is each pin for though. Attaching the photo of the connectors. Just wondering if I can use the power supply for the amp.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20171118_180131.jpg
    20171118_180131.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 440
A server PSU usually features a set of proprietary connectors to allow one server to have multiple redundant PSUs. Can't really tell you what the pin-out is without information about make and model. You should probably be looking elsewhere for a suitable SMPS as you will need more than 12V to drive your amplifier board. I wouldn't waste my time with a server unit.