Threshold NS10 renewed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
That will make me sleep tight:D I nearly had a heart-attack few minutes ago:D Thanks cviller for clearing this up!
Well now that I am posting anyways, I am thinking if its possible to squeeze a little more performance out of this circuit? The best bet is for sure Apassgears, with a shunt reg supply. Have a look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76557
You let me know;) With a more sofisticated supply and a shorter signal path, I do see some improvement ahead:) I am sure this could easily be the best single-ended preamp until date:cool:

Steen:cool:

hehe........servo.......cap..........perfect example how even collective memory can be short lived ;)

I'm sure that apass will (when he read all that ) ROTFLMAO or whatever :devilr:........not to mention how Papa must be laughing....even if he must be already used to that,counting on bunch of cunning (as Baldrick) questions of mine ;)
anyway-without refreshing my memory looking at actual NS10 schmtc,I think that servo can be pretty harmless,if executed properly..........not butchered, but executed in meaning of making it ;)

anyway- for nice servo , dedicated supply is important as much is overall servo circ important.....

..............even if I think that +- powered NS10 can be made without servo and without caps..........:devilr:

I am sure this could easily be the best single-ended preamp until date:cool:

nah..................

that thing just don't exist ;)

ya didn't hear my WOT hehe

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Steen......I'm pretty lost in all those threads......and generaly I like to be off topic,at least amongst friends ;).........

which Tanoys you mentioned .......do you care to elaborate ;)

I'm so hopeless with/for big spks........ small spks.........medium spks....oneways......twoways............even BIB threeways ....:clown:

another edit.......

steen-why don't you try xcccccxxxxxxxxvdfwhatever BOSOZ with babelfish balanced?
;( even more off topic.....

You guys are really amazing people, three posted pages in less than one day, happy to see Steen back to hibernation and building amps as mad as any of us DIY’ers. I’m guilty of not smelling flux now for a long time.

Great to see Steen opening a thread on the NS10 and giving all those details on revamping an even better than new preamp… I heard Nelson was envious because he doesn’t even have a NS10 to play around with, let alone hear one these days.

On the servo issue I guess it’s used to have a stable bias for both stages and avoid a voltage divider on Q1 base. (less PSU noise?)

After building many preamps during my DIY’ef years I have come to be more comfortable using an output cap on preamps and sans input cap on amps (when possible)…keeps me sleeping well at nights. So my suggestion Steen is to keep that cap there.

As Choky and many others on the forum I’m also an advocate on a well thought out shunt reg… we have talked before that the NS10 could benefit on such PSU regulator but as usual is a matter of comparing. I do have one nice PCB for the purpose that you kindly sent to test my ideas, sounds a good project for these holidays which I plan to stay at home.

One question Steen, do all electrical connection from the active audio boards to the motherboard are done through those standoffs?
Yes they do. I was surprised to see that.
Thanks for the advices, Tony. I am looking forward to hear if the sound improves with the BG's burning in. I have a pair of your boards lying, and I will try and get a preamp done with them soon. Will be exciting to hear it with a shunt reg.

Steen:)

I actually worked on a very similar design as a senior project in school many years ago for an RF (1 MHz) amplifier. Find this discussion interesting.

It would be very simple, in a new build of this design, to run on split supplies and eliminate the output cap.
Run +/- 12 to retain the bias points, or higher with a rebias.
Ground in the old design becomes -12 V, however,
+ input to OP amp moves to ground.
OP amp should be modern low offset type, this is important.
Caps off 301 ohm stay at ground.
OP amp can now run off this split supply.

Would want to check for on/off transient noise since they're no longer blocked by the output cap.

Interesting, simple design.

Pete B.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
flame suit time
:devilr:

Attachments

• chokyfied apass ns10.jpg
    chokyfied apass ns10.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 683
steenoe said:
Yes they do. I was surprised to see that.

That’s something I don’t really like, could work well for a while but oxidation will creep in and will loose good contact forming a diode like connection witch will smear sound, destroy soundstage… etc… My opinion at least.

Could be a good idea to isolate those standoffs and make soldered connections with one thin strand of wire to the audio signal (input and output) a similar treatment would also seem necessary for PSU rail and ground. Of course this mod will make difficult to remove those boards in the future so make sure you won’t make any other change to the audio boards if you decide to do this.

…with these mods you will loose the warranty though:clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
I think the warranty ran out allready:D
Thats good suggestions Tony. I didnt like the looks of the standoff connections either.

Steen:)

looking at quality of this pcbs and stand-offs,me thinks that we have here nice example of hair splitting :devilr:
agree for DIY ns10......without this sorta things,but you can leave it as is...anyway........make a test-if you clean them properly,make solder bridges in,say,5 yrs and look for difference........
my vote is for no difference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.