Threshold NS10 renewed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Steen, I am in the prosess of restoring my newly aquired NS10. :) Unfortunately it was in non-working condition. The RIAA network is also modified (by Oslo Hificenter back in the days) and a quick simulation shows that is it more accurate with smoother frequency response. I can give you the values if you want.

The main fault was that one of the secondaries had broken of its pcb tap, but I have fixed it now. What I would like to know is the unregulated and regulated voltage in a working unit so I can compare and decide if it's working as intended. Have you/can you measure them for me please? ;)

Congratulations:) Another happy member of the NS10 club:) I will take off the lid shortly and do the measurements for you.
I could have sworn that I wrote down the values somewhere, but my paperwork is a mess and gets too piled up , so its probably thrown out... Are you considering an A400 too? ;)

Steen.:)

Okay, here you go: Voltage across the main capacitance bank (before the reg!) is 33,72 Volts. Voltage across the 4 "small" caps feeding each board is 21,83 Volts (Thats the regulated voltage). If you get voltages that looks like those, you are okay. I am sure it will be a bit different from my values. If you need anything, just let me know.
Have fun with that magnificent preamp:)

Steen:cool:

Edit, here is a pic, measuring the regulated voltage.

Attachments

• reg_psu_voltage_sm.jpg
    reg_psu_voltage_sm.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 426
Great, thanks! My unregulated voltage was higher, because I ran it without the modules installed. The regulated voltage was similar, so I guess I'm OK :)
Now I am in the prosess of removing all of the old solderings (and the massive flux residue) and resoldering all joints :dead: Puh! :dead:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Okay, here you go: Voltage across the main capacitance bank (before the reg!) is 33,72 Volts. Voltage across the 4 "small" caps feeding each board is 21,83 Volts (Thats the regulated voltage). If you get voltages that looks like those, you are okay. I am sure it will be a bit different from my values. If you need anything, just let me know.
Have fun with that magnificent preamp:)

Edit, here is a pic, measuring the regulated voltage.

I can't see any toob inside.........:Popworm:

:devilr:

Mad_K said:
Great, thanks! My unregulated voltage was higher, because I ran it without the modules installed. The regulated voltage was similar, so I guess I'm OK :)
Now I am in the prosess of removing all of the old solderings (and the massive flux residue) and resoldering all joints :dead: Puh! :dead:

Thats the fun part of it, at least I had a great time with the NS10 refurbishing. Selecting all the parts carefully and soldering them in the circuit! Man thats great!

Zen Mod said:

I can't see any toob inside.........:Popworm:

:devilr:

Maybe its time for that SUSY tube thing of yours? Is the SCH in your "musings" page the latest?

Steen:)

BTW. I am working on a really twisted preamp right now:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

Maybe its time for that SUSY tube thing of yours? Is the SCH in your "musings" page the latest?

BTW. I am working on a really twisted preamp right now:cool:

susy toob thing on musings page is just concept;
I have something on paper,and entire picture in my head ( who's else ? ;) ) , but it's too early .........

twisted preamp?

just wait for pcbs ; they're on way.........

Zen Mod said:

susy toob thing on musings page is just concept;
I have something on paper,and entire picture in my head ( who's else ? ;) ) , but it's too early .........

twisted preamp?

just wait for pcbs ; they're on way.........
That is the most thrilling thing I could ever hear;) Thanks a lot:)
I will try the twisted thing anyway's, at some point! Here is a peek for the keen eyed eagle:)

Attachments

• twisted preamp_sm.jpg
    twisted preamp_sm.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 427
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

That is the most thrilling thing I could ever hear;) Thanks a lot:)
I will try the twisted thing anyway's, at some point! Here is a peek for the keen eyed eagle:)

het,mate......I sent you just Babelfish pcbs this time,sorry if I wake false hopes this time ;)

Steen dedicated preamp pcbs are on their way for birth.........Oly Magician is on the move ;)

edit- regarding books you asked for... I have minor problems with my wifi this days,so just be patient
edit edit:
if (just if!! ) you start with making my prototype of preamp - I dunno which schmtc variant I sent you ; there are few dramatic changes in last few iterations.........

Zen Mod said:

het,mate......I sent you just Babelfish pcbs this time,sorry if I wake false hopes this time ;)

Steen dedicated preamp pcbs are on their way for birth.........Oly Magicican is on the move ;)

edit- regarding books you asked for... I have minor problems with my wifi this days,so just be patient
Pheew, that gives me have a little more spare time!! No need to worry at all! I am more than happy to have the blue ones. Take your time. I wont start anything before you say "Green lights"

Russ White said:

Hi Steen, I thought I recognized those green boards. :)

I hope it turns out well for you. :) very nice work on it so far! A real beauty!

Cheers!
Russ

Russ my man (eagle-eye?), I am sure it will turn out just great:) My only little concern is; (as you might have guessed?) Will the chips sound as good as the discrete's?? I am to find out:D I have some great expectations for the TI SUSY parts though:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.