Threshold NS10 Lineamp PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: volume control on NS10

Dennis Hui said:
Hi,

What an interesting thread!

How is the volume control hooked up on the NS10?
Is it just a pot at the input? If so, what is a good
value? (I vaguely remember reading about 20K ohms,
but can't seem to find the reference.)

Thanks,
Dennis

yes-just a pot on input
value-whatever you choose from 20 to 50 (even 100) K

Check this awnser from Nelson an the Threshold FET Thread.
Thanks for the pointer, Apass :) Thats pretty much the roadmap we set out;) At this point I have a Threshold A400 on hand:D But (there is always a but arent there?) the guy will only part with it if I take the preamp too:D The preamp is a Music Reference RM5. Not too bad I guess? Any Oppinions? To be honest, I really dont need another preamp. But I guess I could just sell it on Ebay or something. Should be in nice working condition;)

Steen:)

What do you think of the RM5? I know it was a pretty nice darling of the reviewers at some point:D I also know that it was produced for over 20 years:) I couldnt find any on Ebay (no finished items either) So where does that lead you??

Edit: Just found that you can still have it from new:) 1995usd.

Steen,

For many years I used a similar line preamp, a diy single tube 6922 grounded cathode, which the RM5 is. Soundwise is very nice with the right amount of warmth, somewhat rounded bass – fitted with a good tube, that is. I should add though that my version was very well implemented at the PSU, lots of MKP’s and a couple of small coils at each B+ and running at high bias. The last mods I did used batteries at the cathode for biasing.

The spec for the RM5 says it has 800 ohms output impedance, which I very much doubt, the best you can get is about 1.2/1.5 k if memory serves.

I cannot comment on the RIAA amp though.

You lucky guy, let us know how the the A400 sounds with the NS10 and your other nice preamps.:cool: :cool: :cool:

steenoe said:
PSU board to the left is 9,5x7 cm. (2 supply's) Linestage board is
9x5,5 cm ( 1 channel) Measurements are approximate.

Steen

What trafo values (VA, secondaries V) are you using for your NS10 clone psu. I may have missed something in all these many posts. I´m trying start to collect parts for implement this preamp.

In advance thanks for comments and assistance

JC

What trafo values (VA, secondaries V) are you using for your NS10 clone psu.
First of all, I didnt build the version in this thread yet. I did build the version in Russ's thread with the dual supply, in fact it is still doing great service in my working room;) Whatever we made in that thread (surely not a NS10) it sounds really good indeed:)
My guess is that a 50 VA, 22 volt trafo would be nice for the real clone. But I suggest that if you have something on hand you could try and use that. A 2x12V donut would propably do nicely, running the secondaries in series, or a 2x20-24V running them in parallel or one for each channel. Watch the heatsink on the regulator, if you are using a 24+ volt trafo though!
anyway-I wish you luck with this crappy old amp
Thanks a lot, Mod:cool:

I have a question, and I am not sure this is the right place to ask it. Nonetheless since you guys are pretty reliable here goes:
Working on my NS10 (real thing;) ) I found that the supply consists of one (1) FT317! pretty surprising, but I am not the one to critisize anything, since it works pretty good!! The single FT317 feeds both channels. Here is my question (just in case you were in doubt:D ) Would it be an advantage to put in a new LM317 instead?? I have no idea if the 317 family improved over the years??

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
I have a question, and I am not sure this is the right place to ask it. Nonetheless since you guys are pretty reliable here goes:
Working on my NS10 (real thing;) ) I found that the supply consists of one (1) FT317! pretty surprising, but I am not the one to critisize anything, since it works pretty good!! The single FT317 feeds both channels. Here is my question (just in case you were in doubt:D ) Would it be an advantage to put in a new LM317 instead?? I have no idea if the 317 family improved over the years??

If you don't want major tweaks (and you sez that you don't) leave it as is......even if you change it,you will not hear or measure anything.

just replace what you already planned

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Thanks a lot Mod'y. I will do just that:) You know, its not even that easy to make the NS10 shine as new!! Man it cost's and takes more work than I would have thought!! But, I am determined to make it shine again:) It will, I am sure:cool:

why you just don't send that crappy preamp to me for proper disposal?

ya know-those old gadgets are not in fashion even more

:devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.