Three things you can do to make CD players sound better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: 11.2896

carlosfm said:

That was a private message to Bernhard.
He likes the PCM56.
You like the TDA1543.
Go figure...

TDA1543 is distorted like 14bit TDA1540.
Starts melting @ 8V single supply.
Was used in Philips el cheapo players.
Sounds crap.

A selected PCM56 got lower distortion as PCM63 or PCM1702.
Runs from +/-12V supply.
Was used in most of the expensive players in it's time.
Sounds detailed, smooth and open.

Re: PCM56

Bernhard said:

TDA1543 is distorted like 14bit TDA1540.
Starts melting @ 8V single supply.
Was used in Philips el cheapo players.
Sounds crap.

A selected PCM56 got lower distortion as PCM63 or PCM1702.
Runs from +/-12V supply.
Was used in most of the expensive players in it's time.
Sounds detailed, smooth and open.

I have, I believe still 8 of those PCM56s. Time to sell those marvels!
Any takers?
:angel:

paba said:
What do you all think of poping in this gizmo... in the position of the SAA7220P/B?

http://www.net-audio.co.uk/tda1541nos.html

Not much details as to what it is really.

Thanks
paba

Hi,

I thought about getting one of these but I was not sure about the synchronous reclocking function!

Also you need to re-calculate the analogue filter...

Has anyone tried driving the saa7220 osc pins with a sine wave ?

Cheers,

Ashley.

Disconnecting DAC ground when swapping analog stage?

Don't kill me if I'm wrong, but I think my upcoming mod fits this thread.

I'm kinda semi-DIY, where I'd rather put together tried and true main parts than messing around with every little chip. As a result, I've built a ZAPpulse amp, and I'm upgrading my Pio DV-757 with an LClock XO3 and a ZAPfilter 2 to feed it a descent signal. But I have a couple of questions.

First, the LClock. Or actually not, 'cause it's pretty straight forward. The only thing I might consider asking is whether I should do something with the power supply (I'm taking +12V directly from the player PSU).

The ZAPfilter is another story, and I think it sorts under part 3 - ground noise. Positive and negative signal (balanced) from the PCM1738 DAC are simple, just remove the 5532 and the resistor and cap on each line. Analog ground, however, is another matter. Its not just analog ground, it's directly connected to every other ground part, including chassis.

So - to finally get to the question - should I cut the analog ground connection from the DAC and connect it directly to the ZAPfilter, or leave it to be polluted by everything else? Afterall, the ZAPfilter is the only thing that actually needs the analog ground from the DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.