Three things you can do to make CD players sound better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So - to finally get to the question - should I cut the analog ground connection from the DAC and connect it directly to the ZAPfilter, or leave it to be polluted by everything else? Afterall, the ZAPfilter is the only thing that actually needs the analog ground from the DAC.

Does it? It's balanced mode...- you could probably get less noisy analog ground from somewhere else... If u use it in balanced mode, all u need would be ground ref. point at XLR's... You should use separate power supply for ZAP filter, its ground should be referenced to unit ground, somehow....

Extreme_Boky

I won't be running XLS to the amp, though... Atleast not yet, can't afford to buy another DACT CT2, extra input relays, XLS connectors, new cables and all that. And from what I've gathered, there's no real sound benefit from it, apart from noise rejection, which isn't too much of an issue with 2' cables. They're well shielded too; ViaBlue NF-A7.

The ZAPfilter comes with a separate PSU, but as far as I can see, it isn't connected to any other ground than the ZAPfilter itself. Check the pictures on this page. They'll be grounded on the amp in the other end, a far less noisy ground.

Added info 09:45: Each input on the amp is connected via a cap to chassis ground. Connecting them directly to ground caused some nasty sound deterioration when the AV receiver's pre-out was hooked up.

Click on schemetics on the page you link to - they do actually provide one. That is a little more revealing.

The question of the ground for the I/V comes up all the time. And the same strange view also keeps cropping up. This idea that the analog stage needs a "better" and "unpolluted" ground. Trouble is, is that this is not taking notice of how the system works as a whole. There is considerable RF energy coming from the DAC to the I/V - that is why they are hard to design. You must maintain the integrity of the ground return of that energy. The only way to do this is to tie it straight back to its source. You can't have it wander about the chassis of the system desperatly trying to find its way home and still expect the system to work properly. The signal and ground carry equal energy (one of the fundamental conservation laws here.) Even a balanced DAC output cannot be guarenteed not have significant common mode RF energy - which needs to get home again.

I have to admit that schematics isn't my strong suit... However, it seems input ground isn't connected to chassis ground, whereas output ground is - or is it the other way around? Maybe I should send an e-mail to LC and hear what they have to say, too.

Anyways, it seems the answer to my initial question is to leave the analog ground alone, atleast not cut the PCB. I'd assume, however, that I should remove every component in the original line stage that has to do with the analog outputs of the DAC, both in the signal and ground paths. Does that about sum it up?

Got a russian 13 digit frequency counter today, unfortunately it does not work, no display at all, but the clock works, looks like it has oven, did not open it yet, puts out 5MHz but changing the crystal to 11,2896 should not be a problem.
This counter is full of ceramic smd chips with gold pins...

Also got a DDR RFT 6 digit Voltmeter which has a problem too.
There is a coil close to the back of the unit, another two wires go inside the tube on which the coil wire is wound.
Seems there is a switch inside that does not work.
When I short the wires, the unit works.
Maybe somebody from eastern Germany or eastern Europe got an idea ?
Is this a kind of fuse ?
Hope I can use it one day to adjust DAC.
Resolution in 1V range is 1µV.

my theory is (please tell me if i am wrong)
all the data is on the cdrom, the saa7310 decodes to either spdif or i2s.
this is the line i want to use, the i2s.
Don't want an extra device eg convert spdif to i2s
or the 7220 is a digital filter therefore for a filter, it must be dropping data
i2s straight out of cdplayer(cd850) to external dac.
either tda1543 or something else.
Was looking at doede's 12*1543 but didn't want it so tall.
Going into 1 unit rack case.
reading the posts in this site it looked like they parrallel the 1543's
to reduce distortion?

Elso
if you get good results out of one, i would really like to learn how?

Have already modded cdplayer, iv output opamp's, removed mute transistors, reclocked (lcaudio, sorry Elso)

Still need to do power supply, but if external dac, only need to do
digital supply.
I thought better idea, don't have to look at digital and analogue earths.

also the power cord.
standard is 2 pin active and neutral.
better would be 3 pin? active neutral and ground

being Neutral it is still very noisey (well in aust) 2vac i have seen.
ground is local stake (building), neutral in substation?
any noise going to earth could go through attached devices?

please correct me if i have anything wrong.

allan

tmblack said:
So,

what is your opinion/experience regarding the order of importance in reducing the CD glare?

A) low jitter clock like the Kwak
B) NOS DAC
C) Asynchromous clocking

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is much more difficult to reduce/elimate CD glare. Upsampling helps but use only excellent upsampler. Use only clock with guaranteed low jitter through measurement.

I spent a lot of effort to get a system which upsamples to 176.4 kHz, an external clock and dCS boxes. The result rivals vinyl but without any noise! Even the cabling is most important even though it's all 75R BNCs.

fmak
It is much more difficult to reduce/elimate CD glare. Upsampling helps but use only excellent upsampler. Use only clock with guaranteed low jitter through measurement.

I spent a lot of effort to get a system which upsamples to 176.4 kHz, an external clock and dCS boxes. The result rivals vinyl but without any noise! Even the cabling is most important even though it's all 75R BNCs. [/B][/QUOTE]

to upsample, your data has to be correct first.
so your clock has to be accurate.

Q how much does upsampling improve the sound (detail etc)?

and wouldn't this need to be done as close as possible to the data source?

allan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.