Thoughts and opinions about Fostex FF85WK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well that Fountek I liked in post #19 is new to me and really catches my interest. Not available quite yet though. Looks like it'll be around q = 0.8 in 25 to 30L if you stuff it full. Easily takes a 80hz cross over to bigger subs. Would cross nicely around 300hz. And only $55/ea.

You could do passive, it just takes quite expensive components. Most people would cringe doing this, but just use iron core inductors and non-polorized electrolytic caps. At least until you've got the cross over dialed in. You'll still be spending >$10 per inductor likely. But cheaper than buying amps and a dsp module. I can't offer much expertise on passive line level active, but parts are cheap for that IF you have the amps.

I tried starting a discussion around this very sort of thing here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/227834-cross-over-design-woofer-choices-fast.html

But it didn't go very far other than me expressing how I would do it. Dave chimed in with a few of his thoughts. It might offer some help though.

I plan to use them in my car but of course I will also try them at home. If I could find the Mark Audio tweeter 3 I would be tempted to build that 2way speaker from the German forum.
However in the Home Theater front I am totally confused.
I am back to square one.
Right now I am looking at my options if I finally choose the CHP70. The enclosure options are overwhelming and at the same time I have some of my own designs in mind and that doesn't help either.

Just an update.
After a lot of reading and thinking, I decided to abandon the idea of the FF85WK + woofer + subwoofer for cost reasons.
I still believe it would me my best choice but it is going to go well above my budget and it will also be very revealing so an upgrade on my front end and amplifiers could be a necessity with that system.
I decided that the CHP70 Gen1 is a good VFM choice but the amplifier I was planning to use can only handle loads down to 6ohms.
Dual CHP70/channel should be my only option which is not bad because it will bring me closer to the dynamics I am after.
Being able to cross them between 100-150Hz I can go straight to a sub and avoid the woofer.
However since I have not heard a FR driver before and I am not 100% that I am going to be happy with it I decided to step back and take a different approach.
I bought one pair of CHP70 and one 10" Peerless XLS 830452 sub which is supposed to work well in very small enclosures.
I will do some tests with them and then I will decide which route I will go.
However since I have abandon the Fostex FF85WK ( :( ) I will stop posting in this thread and open a new one as soon as I have some info about my new project.

as wonderful as both the FF85WK and a well executed 2A3 can be - I've owned and heard numerous examples of each - except for the most modest of volumes in the near field, I think most folks would find the combination lacking in total SPL and dynamic headroom

I understand that will be a great combination for the moderate levels.I am using bottlehead stereomour 2a3. How is the sound character against visaton b200 ?

To be honest, my only exposure to the B200 was several years ago, in a wide panel OB (far too impractical for my own domestic situation) , so my recollection would be very cloudy. The best that I can remember was that in that configuration, it could definitely have benefited from the addition of a tweeter.

On the other hand, in the very nearfield - such as my 2 current computer desktop setups , the FF85WK doesn't need much assistance at all.

of course, YMMV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.