Thoughts about retirement...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well don't be sorry yet, I'm not quite there. I just think once you've done all those things you speak of, what then? You have to stay active as you age cuz there's only one alternative, right? I suppose daily cardio routine will keep you fit but you need a good work out to stay in shape. You have to actively ward off the inevitable. ;)

I stopped "thinking" about retirement and fully retired last May.

Haven't looked back...I've got plenty to do.

Only bad thing is that I have less time to spend on the internet. Moving, home projects, buying used furniture, cookware, painting, gardening...

No time to get bored. I forget what day it is. Everyday is like Sunday.

If you can afford to retire- retire! You don't need $1 million to retire. It all depends on your personal financial situation. Pay off your mortgage, don't carry any other debt.

Proper planning prevents ****-poor performance.

Being retired for 3 years now, my still has 4-5 years to go. Will never go back, I'm not rich, but have enough. My day job was always in the way of all my projects, hobby and multiples interests. Retire as soon as you can, life it too short!

BTW being married for 35 years, low maintenance wife, we have our own interest. My wife is indépendant, as me. Can't never stand a demanding GF. My wife is very understanding of all my projects and hobbies, as I am of her gardening, flowers, yoga, cooking online courses, name it.

But I guess she was ever understanding, we had 3 boys, I worked for long days on the road for years. Last year I was on the road I spent 182 nights away, and she was working full time, never complained...

Now I do everything at home, cooking during the week, shopping, cleaning. Rest of the time is for me, and the hobbies...

As you say you English guys, happy wife, happy life...

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I figure I am going to plod along for a few more years before I retire, but I am sure I am in my last full time engineering position. They promoted me to engineering manager this spring and were it not for the stress from scrambling to confirm and approve new designs and new parts due to supply chain issues I would probably be enjoying myself.

Given we live in one of the most expensive parts of the U.S. and we're planning to stay put building our retirement savings a bit more is a good idea.

I had this grandiose idea that I would go back to building bespoke gear for a small number of patrons, but I have saturated my existing market and don't see a future in this despite working to try and accomplish this over the past few years. In a local group where a significant number of members own a high end R2R I could not interest anyone in my newest tape amp design - despite its very good performance. Writing on the wall.. I will probably consult part time, but doing what is not clear.

I'd like to travel to see some friends and family in the UK and elsewhere in the coming years.

Well don't be sorry yet, I'm not quite there. I just think once you've done all those things you speak of, what then? You have to stay active as you age cuz there's only one alternative, right? I suppose daily cardio routine will keep you fit but you need a good work out to stay in shape. You have to actively ward off the inevitable. ;)
Well, I always wanted to design and build valve audio mixers. I retired 20 years ago and I have been doing that ever since. I supply mixers and tube based pro audio gear to customers all over the world. I don't have to make a profit but it does pay for itself. I only spend about 20 hours a week on this but it gives me huge satisfaction. They rest of my time is spent with my dear wife in gardening and exploring the parts of England we never had time or money to when we had the kids. Today is my 71st birthday and I couldn't be happier. All of my retired friends agree they are so busy they cannot understand how they ever found time to go to work.

Cheers

Ian

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, I always wanted to design and build valve audio mixers. I retired 20 years ago and I have been doing that ever since. I supply mixers and tube based pro audio gear to customers all over the world. I don't have to make a profit but it does pay for itself. I only spend about 20 hours a week on this but it gives me huge satisfaction. They rest of my time is spent with my dear wife in gardening and exploring the parts of England we never had time or money to when we had the kids. Today is my 71st birthday and I couldn't be happier. All of my retired friends agree they are so busy they cannot understand how they ever found time to go to work.

Cheers

Ian
Sure, I can't see myself not being productive in so called retirement. But I don't want to be even more busy. :)
Have a great 71st.

I wasn’t planning on *selling* anything because I doubt I could turn enough “profit” to even buy the parts. The electronics is the cheap part - it’s everything else that’s expensive without slave labor and a cheap source of raw materials like … aluminum. Got enough electronics inventory built up over 25 or so years that I can build what I want for my own use if I don’t care what it looks like, and repair the occasional vintage receiver or PA amp or speakers for a few bucks on the side.

What I did expect to do is put my PA gear back into service again. That will at least pay for itself, since it was all built up over the same 25 year period and not beholden to a bank loan. If I owed $100,000 on it all it would end up being just another stressful job.

the best time to retire is...

I retired from the full time workplace after 30 yeas working for a fortune 100 international company. Living out of a suitcase was tiring, the airports after 9/11 were and are impossible. In 2015, at 55 years old, I left my ideal job (technology and marketing, in the electronics and imaging field) bought a home isolated in the country... living in peace among the abundant livestock and nature. I even have my own AC line power transformer, super clean AC and no neighbors errant WiFi hitting my home 24/7, as a low EMF signature at my home is an imperative.

In spite of living fairly poor, no corporate paycheck, no pension, no SS, yet!
I have never been happier. Cannot imagine working in the COVID 1984 EPICdemic, with monitoring and ridiculous compliance mandates. Not having it!

I recently got an email from the show and event coordinator contact, I used to work with within said organization, asking if wanted to be included in the 2022 upcoming schedule. I guess the list of interested 'free-lance' stringers is waning... I no longer want any part of that workplace. I am too happy retired from the full time workplace, would never go back.

I have my eye on the finish line. I'm 66 now, I'll be 70 when it finally happens. Things are going along fairly well too. House and cars will all be paid for. After 20 years service I'll get 50% of my pay. With the wife's SSDI we should be fine. Like folks have said, not wealthy, but comfortable. When my wife's father past away last year he left us some money and we invested that in home repairs like paint, roof, electric completely redone, supply plumbing, new driveway, so no huge repairs looming.
It's was rough, right around the time of Enron I lost close to a million and a half as the stock options went from almost $100.-- to around $0.43, then the place shut down a year later. So at 50 looking for work. . . But here I am close to a hopefully relaxing retirement. A retirement I plan on gardening, brewing, and enjoying my music.

Last edited:
I retired when I was 50. I'm frugal and value my own time more than material wealth like fancy cars or a big house. My house was paid off when I was in my mid 30's and stayed out of debt after that.

The way I look at this is, the only finite resource we have is how long we have on this planet. Trading that by working to buy material things, always seemed like a bad deal to me. YMMV

“Big” house on enough land where there isn’t 4000 square foot houses spaced 5 feet apart going in right next door is *non negotiable*. Wife has horses which need space and I need work space (more so than actual living space, 2000 square feet of that is plenty). And we are SICK AND TIRED of all this traffic.

Only thing gating actual retirement is physically starting construction on the new “compound”. No point in pulling the plug until that can start. Building will be a full time job, but it will be *fun*. No debts left, money is pretty much in place except buying a compact tractor, getting my old 1996 Mastercraft lake worthy again, and a new bike. If the job lasts till next summer even that can be all paid for in cash.

I retired from the full time workplace after 30 yeas working for a fortune 100 international company. Living out of a suitcase was tiring, the airports after 9/11 were and are impossible

I once introduced myself as an airplane seat tester for an investment bank.

I gave the miles earned to my sons so they could go skiing for free.

Don't make the mistake of too many engagements with charities when you decide to step back. If they know you're out there, they will find you.