Thoughts about retirement...

Very cool to actually have paid leave to work on a degree too, unheard of these days for companies to do that.

I still went to work, I just took the early morning or late afternoon off on class days, which were 2 or 3 days a week. When people asked me what my MSEE specialty was, I replied 8 AM or 5 PM classes. The drive was about an hour each way.

Generic Masters level engineering classes were usually during the day, but there were early morning or late afternoon classes catered to working students that tended to favor stuff that those students needed for their job. Florida Atlantic University was between the two large clusters of Motorola facilities, and less than a mile from IBM. My classes were either C or assembly language programming for embedded systems (like phones or two way radios) or VLSI IC design where we actually got the chips we designed made, leading to some VLSI testing classes.

I don't personally know of one single person who retired from Intel or Motorola.

I prefer to use the phrase "Left Motorola on their own terms" but technically on paper I "voluntarily retired." I know of about 10 and a couple that have been there over 45 years and don't care any longer.

Due to changing times our advanced research department was slowly morphing from an "advanced radio design team" to a "radio subcircuit design team" and finally into an "IC design team." Again my college classes convinced me that IC design was not a career path that I wanted. It's all simulation and calculation.....you can't build your own chips. I did design and build the test boards and EVB's for those chips, and I made sure that voices from the local police department were coming from the EVB for one of our newly fabbed chips when the Chicago bosses came to see where their $1M went. From there it was "test and take data on several hundred chips."

I had seen the future of my work, and didn't like it, so when I got "the letter" from the CEO offering me a bucket full of money to leave, I took the money and ran.....1200 miles north.

I visited the plant and my old group every year on my Florida vacation tour up until Covid came. I now know that my job would have been safe until today if I had chosen to stay, but it wouldn't have been nearly as fun as it was before I left. The chip shortage had set that group into full scale panic mode over 3 years ago when Global Foundaries bought IBM's chip fabs, and if Intel does eat Global Foundaries, all of that work starts over again.

I worked for TI for 10 years in their Industrial Controls division.

They were bought out in 1990 by Siemens Industrial Controls, which later morphed into Siemens Factory Automation, to Siemens Digital Industries (same job, new name).

TI was bad about cyclic layoffs called Reduction In Force, aka RIFs. Every fall they would RIF 5-10% of the employees in the industrial controls group to make 4th quarter look good. Then in the spring they would hire new engineers and technicians.

Siemens had a few layoffs, but they were much rarer than TI.

Beyond the layoffs, both companies were good. Siemens has a better long term attitude and withdrew from the US stock marked due to short term demand for profits.

I worked factory automation control systems my entire career. Nothing bleeding edge, just basic designs with high MTBF requirements.

The last 5 years I worked on Functional Safety products. Those had much more stringent requirements, with lots of paperwork documenting the design safety analysis.

I have been more busy since retiring than I was when I worked.

I used to tell students to start a Roth IRA as soon as they start working. Max out the 401k if one is offered. Have a work-life balance. Don't miss your children's school activities, sports, music, school meetings- you never get that time back and no amount of money will compensate you.

Good advice on all fronts, especially wrt the kids as the time races past.

I converted my IRA to a Roth when the market took a nose-dive. I continue to use the Peter Lynch investment thesis of purchasing shares of companies I know, shares of customers or suppliers.

short termism has been eating away at many companies for a long time. I'd advise my kids to avoid these kinds of companies, but that doesn't seem to leave too many options these days. Some say just keep skills sharp and don't stay anywhere too long in case you lose your ability to move on when the time comes.

the sad thing is that when we are young we do not value our time and we work hard and then one day we can retire and get control of our time back, but at that point our best days are behind us. unlike my boss, I won't work into my 70's

Anybody who says you need $1 million to retire is nuts.
That depends on where you live. Many persons I know consider that a benchmark.
One price doesn't fit all.
That's for darn sure. My wife and I don't have an extravagant lifestyle but we don't want to be thinking about money when we should be dipping our toes in the sand.
had started collecting rental properties in my twenties to get financially stable
Not a possibility around here. Real Estate has always been expensive.

I worked my way from factory tech on the assembly line up to electrical engineer with only a high school education. As the market uncertainties of the late 80's rippled through the plant causing constant cycles of laying off and hiring a couple of high level bosses made me a deal. Go get a college degree at the company's expense, or risk being laid off. So at age 37 I went to college.

Since I "knew everything" (yeah right) about electrical engineering, I chose computer engineering to learn some new skills like programming. After 3 1/2 years of evening classes I had a BSCE degree at age 41.

A couple years later some friends in the research department, where I finished out my career, encouraged me to get an "advanced degree," again at the company's expense. This time they would negotiate for me to get time off with pay since MSEE classes were not taught at night.

Let's see, I could sit in front of my PC at work and have it laugh at me, or I could hang out at a "party college" at Motorola's expense......even a dumm blonde doesn't have to think too hard on that one. This one was on my terms, so instead of full time school and full time work (50+ hours a week) while raising a teenager, I took one or two classes at a time whenever a class that interested me came along. At age 49 I had a masters degree in electrical engineering and found myself enrolled in the PHD program. That ended when Motorola killed funding for employee education.

Did all of that school give me any useful skills? At least it raised my status and salary a bit among the other "real engineers" and convinced me that software engineering was not a career choice that I wanted to make. Motorola could not find software engineers that understood how a complex two way radio or cell phone worked, so they were trying to get EE's to join the software teams. There were times in my career where I had one foot in each camp.

In the cell phone group I was the systems integrator, hook all of the individual blocks together and make them fit on a PC board. In the research group I worked my way into a position I actually liked, I built all of the prototypes. Motorola sells police radios. Research guys make paper (OK Powerpoint slides) I turned the paper into prototype products. Both of these didn't really require a MSEE, or any degree at all, just some of the skill set that many of us here have learned from a lifetime of building stuff.

Now that I have been retired for 7 years, I find that those 1990's programming classes fit right in with the Arduino makers stuff of today. Some of my nearly 30 year old "C" code actually compiles and runs on a Teensy board (small Arduino compatible board with a serious ARM CPU). I have been designing digital music synthesizers, I now have 5.....could an Arduino controlled tube amp be coming?
Nice reading.

I actually use an arduino as power controller in my setup. That is it

delays power on sequence for preamp and power amp, and subsequently

turns them off in good order. This also prevents power cycling.

The arduino controls SSR relays to do it's work.

Other projects i have seen is to have an arduino control motorized volume pot, input relays remote sensor and a display ( i havn't got this far yet).

With a display another feature is possible : a power on timer useful to know tube usage.

As for autobias i don't belive in it. Good tubes needs one adjustment. Auto bias seems to be so compliated that they introduce many fail sources and thus gives worse reliability then without. But that is my opinion.

Retirement thread.

And what do us retired old people talk about when we meet, either in person, or virtually?

I doubt that anyone wants to see pictures of my grandkids with their faces stuck in their electronic devices, so I talk about myself and my electronic devices.

This is the place where we DIY our own audio and electronic devices, so I'll show you a picture of mine.....without my face. These all might have one of those Arduino type things in them though. The technical details as to what these things do is or will be in the appropriate thread.

Plenty of pictures of my prototype stuff in posts #146, 148, 150, 151, 156, 181, and 187 here:

Post Pictures of Your Vero Board Designs Here.

And more synth stuff here:

Modular Synth build

The Arduino powered tube amp is still in the "not ready for prime time" stages. It will wind up in one of the UNSET threads in the future.

one of my retirement dreams was that my wife and I would not just go and do some travelling, but go and live in some different places. The concept is not that different from Canadian Snowbirds. We'd rent a house for, say, 6 months. Then we'd really experience a place, be there long enough to see some change of season, get to fully explore all it had to offer without the pressure to behave like a tourist. You'd have time to make some friends. The idea was to do this for a few years until we'd tire of it. Places of interest included Italy, Hong Kong, Halifax NS, Victoria BC, UK, and more. Of course, don't really know if we'd have stuck to these ideas as my wife didn't survived her illness. It's possible we would have wimped out, wanting to keep close to the kids etc. but the idea always seemed a good one to me - just simple living.

An hour ago ...

... I effectively retired as an academic physicist, age 55. For several months, I plan to work about a day a week on one remaining research project with which I'm still involved. Brain power will be devoted to other matters, having focused on one area of physics for half a lifetime.

Next step on the adventure starts tomorrow.

Ken

My retirement was not what i planned. My wife and better half died of pancreas cancer this spring. Plans we had about traveling is canceled, i se no point traveling alone. In fact most
of what i was expecting is moot. Life is not what it used to be :-(
I miss the san fransico harbour and the blues clubs. We planned to rent a camper for a tour
in SF / reno/tonopa and the wine district. Not to forget las vegas !
I'll stay with scotch .

My retirement was not what i planned. My wife and better half died of pancreas cancer this spring. Plans we had about traveling is canceled, i se no point traveling alone. In fact most
I miss the san fransico harbour and the blues clubs. We planned to rent a camper for a tour
I'll stay with scotch .

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. It’s really tough, I’ve been through this myself and it takes a lot of time to recover to being able to look forward again. You will get there, you will find a way by taking very short steps.

I worked my way from factory tech on the assembly line up to electrical engineer with only a high school education. As the market uncertainties of the late 80's rippled through the plant causing constant cycles of laying off and hiring a couple of high level bosses made me a deal. Go get a college degree at the company's expense, or risk being laid off. So at age 37 I went to college.

Since I "knew everything" (yeah right) about electrical engineering, I chose computer engineering to learn some new skills like programming. After 3 1/2 years of evening classes I had a BSCE degree at age 41.

A couple years later some friends in the research department, where I finished out my career, encouraged me to get an "advanced degree," again at the company's expense. This time they would negotiate for me to get time off with pay since MSEE classes were not taught at night.

Let's see, I could sit in front of my PC at work and have it laugh at me, or I could hang out at a "party college" at Motorola's expense......even a dumm blonde doesn't have to think too hard on that one. This one was on my terms, so instead of full time school and full time work (50+ hours a week) while raising a teenager, I took one or two classes at a time whenever a class that interested me came along. At age 49 I had a masters degree in electrical engineering and found myself enrolled in the PHD program. That ended when Motorola killed funding for employee education.

Did all of that school give me any useful skills? At least it raised my status and salary a bit among the other "real engineers" and convinced me that software engineering was not a career choice that I wanted to make. Motorola could not find software engineers that understood how a complex two way radio or cell phone worked, so they were trying to get EE's to join the software teams. There were times in my career where I had one foot in each camp.

In the cell phone group I was the systems integrator, hook all of the individual blocks together and make them fit on a PC board. In the research group I worked my way into a position I actually liked, I built all of the prototypes. Motorola sells police radios. Research guys make paper (OK Powerpoint slides) I turned the paper into prototype products. Both of these didn't really require a MSEE, or any degree at all, just some of the skill set that many of us here have learned from a lifetime of building stuff.

Now that I have been retired for 7 years, I find that those 1990's programming classes fit right in with the Arduino makers stuff of today. Some of my nearly 30 year old "C" code actually compiles and runs on a Teensy board (small Arduino compatible board with a serious ARM CPU). I have been designing digital music synthesizers, I now have 5.....could an Arduino controlled tube amp be coming?

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. It’s really tough, I’ve been through this myself and it takes a lot of time to recover to being able to look forward again. You will get there, you will find a way by taking very short steps.
Thanks. I'll try small steps.

Originally Posted by petertub View Post
I'll stay with scotch .

Bigun:

Sorry about both your losses.

[shrug] Sadly they are part of the real life ... not that it makes them easier to swallow.
I have no consolation words to offer, only that time grinds some of the sharpest edges off.
Oh well.

Somewhat certain that in a year or two both will feel somewhat better, and find some activity or another to fill time, which of course keeps ticking.
Oh well [2]

My retirement was not what i planned. My wife and better half died of pancreas cancer this spring.

My heart goes out to you. We've lost two friends/gals to pancreatic cancer in the last two years. One of my best friends from college is an oncologist who deals with this disease almost exclusively.

I hope you can reach out to your "non-virtual" social network in Sweden to seek friendship and companionship.