This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: having cake and eating it too

David B said:
Some have suggested here that relatively high capacitance in the powersupply is good for bass and not so good for mid/high, and vice versa for low capacitance.

I believe the people who suggested this didn't try it out in a real environment. Instead of speculating, build it, connect low capacitance, then big capacitance and let your ears decide. It is that simple. ;)

I used to built stuff by choosing parts according to my likening. I used to think: this part looks good, so it must sound good too. I never bothered to to listen. Recently I started to listen when choosing parts. And it makes all the differnce. ;)

I checked my original PS yesterday and MUR860 from Motorola seems to be even better than MUR1520 from IR. And adding 4.7 BG N beside the bridge definitely improves highs (less harsh). Placing 1000u BG right after bridge degrades sound. 1000U BG on ea. rail per chip is definitely enough in certain gainclone arrangements.

Re: Peter Daniel Gain Clone Schematic

Algar_emi said:
Here a complete schematic schematic of Peter Daniel Gain Clone Version in PDF format including the power supply. Let me know if you have any comment.

My PS wiring is different. I run ea. secondary to a separate bridge. Secondaries and bridges are not connected inside the PS. I also run separate grounds for + and - rails and they connect only at amps star ground. According to your schematic there is no reason to run separate ground wire for + and - rail, because they are common (connected at PS).

Peter Daniel Gain Clone Schematic Corrected

Hi Peter. Thanks for the precision on the power supply. One reason I did this schematic was to compiled all the comments on your Desing in this post. Check this version and tell me if I got your explanations correctly. Let me know if there is any other changes to do.

Attachments

• gain clone.zip
    12.4 KB · Views: 726
Bypassing

Unless I have missed it somewhere, I haven't seen any suggestions for bypassing the 1000 u's with something smaller (or any of the caps for that matter).

With a smaller bypass cap, it may be possible to increase the overall capacitance without the trade-off that Peter has experienced.

Any comments? I appreciate that part of the fun with the Gainclone is keeping the parts to a bare minimum but if a small cap can improve the sound....

And while I'm here can somebody tell me if I have to have four wires on the secondary side of my transformers to use two separate bridges. Mine have just three wires.

Peter Daniel said:
Also Cat 5 cable might be a good alternative.

do you mean using one wire for each connection? does it have a high enough current rating? if it does, good, because i have about 8 meters of it (i think) (the solid core wire type).

[edit]: isnt solid core wire the best conductor you can have? if so, why dont people use bell wire or similar? unless your experimenting alot, your ampa dn speakers dont need to move around alot, so solid core wire should be fine, right?

That's my latest implementation of gainclone circuit. Now my amp has not only 3/4" aluminum front but back panel also. Who else?:cool: ;)

Attachments

• gc.jpg
    gc.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,486
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.