thinking about the UCD modules.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@cowanrg,

Try them. The UcD180 and the UcD400 had the same gain, so if you want to keep them for back or surround channel duties they will do fine (depending on your setup of course, if your rears are full range, you'll be limited) - the caps will be marginal, but as long as you don't drive crazy basslines into high volumes you'll be OK I guess. What rotels are you using now? I'd love to hear if you can "beat" them! :D

@bgt,

I'm running 4x10.000uF slitfoils compared to the 2x22.000uF 154's. Of course I'm sure I have double the VA's than before, that could account for much! All my tests were at relatively low volume.

@Sinski,

Bruno P. once calculated the UcD400 sweetspot: 6250uF per rail per channel for 8 ohm loads (IIRC), double that for 4 ohm loads. But he used a very high duty cycle in his calculations - looking at the Hypex PS, I'd say 10.000uf/rail/module is indeed the sweet spot. BTW, this has been discussed to death in the massive UcD400 thread. It's becoming bible-sized lately :D

Yves Smolders said:
@cowanrg,

Try them. The UcD180 and the UcD400 had the same gain, so if you want to keep them for back or surround channel duties they will do fine (depending on your setup of course, if your rears are full range, you'll be limited) - the caps will be marginal, but as long as you don't drive crazy basslines into high volumes you'll be OK I guess. What rotels are you using now? I'd love to hear if you can "beat" them! :D

@bgt,

I'm running 4x10.000uF slitfoils compared to the 2x22.000uF 154's. Of course I'm sure I have double the VA's than before, that could account for much! All my tests were at relatively low volume.

@Sinski,

Bruno P. once calculated the UcD400 sweetspot: 6250uF per rail per channel for 8 ohm loads (IIRC), double that for 4 ohm loads. But he used a very high duty cycle in his calculations - looking at the Hypex PS, I'd say 10.000uf/rail/module is indeed the sweet spot. BTW, this has been discussed to death in the massive UcD400 thread. It's becoming bible-sized lately :D

I wouldn't say it's the sweet spot, that's of course what your ear likes best. That's just a designed spec for max ripple under max load conditions, which gets you the minimal value that will meet the requirement, and then rounded up to the next standard cap value.

There's ways of still taking advantage of even bigger cap banks, that doesnt' make it worth it though. Caps aren't cheap.

Regards,
Chris

thanks everyone.

i HOPE that these can beat my rotel. i mean, everyone is talking how great they sound and how they are beating up on a ton of high end designs. well, the rotels arent that high end in my mind. so, they should beat them. if they dont, ill get out of class d completely.

i dont run my speakers full range, so they wont be asked to do a LOT of bass, but i still like them to be punchy at the midbass frequences.

im having a problem finding appropriate caps to use for the supply. the ones i have will work for testing, but i dont really want to use them for the final amp if i decide to build it. the best ive been able to find at a reasonable price are nichicon 10,000uf @ 80V for $4 each. im really looking for 100v, because if i decide to go with the ucd700's later, i dont want to have to upgrade everything.

i found some nichicon muse FG's, but they are like $50 each. i would need 4 per channel for a 4 ohm supply, thast a lot on caps.

edit:

the lc audio predator psu looks good, but it only goes up to 60v, so i would have to get the special addition. i guess i could just drop the cash for the hypex PSU, but its PRICEY and its not carried in the states.

who in the states other than diycable and adire carries hypex stuff? adire is pricey and diycable doesnt have power supplies.

Hi cowanrg,

You've got to slow down, get a plan going.

Sounds like you wanted a good surround system of some sort and yet just want to try some class d, dont' care how it compares to anything, and most importantly be able to dump it when you don't like it. There's got to be a better way to go about this?

The most you'll be out is the cost of the module which you as you said likely would have no problem selling in the states.

Everything else is still good for any other amplifier.

Set goals, how many channels do you need just to experience the technology and decide if it's for you or not... just two right.

Don't let all these threads around here convince you into thinking all the tweaks need to be pulled out on them and all that. I'm confident the sound will exceed your meager expectations of it even in stock format.

You also don't need the very best hardware just to try it out, the UCD180 will be alot of power for you from the sounds of it, get the little 320VA transformer and run it in stereo with whatever cheap industrial caps you can find and a 2$ bridge rectifier, bolt it down to a piece of wood or sheet metal or stuff it in a used computer tower, who cares you're just trying it. Dont' even have to worry about soft start or protection just throw a 2 cent mains fuse in.

Then you can decide if you think it's worth sticking with, if it sounds good enough as it is, or if you need 5000$ capacitors in it with a 10kVA transformer and gold braid wires.

You can test this for a thousand or less I'm sure of that.

Regards,
Chris

chris,

im not sure if i was completely clear here...

im not simply planning to "toss" something together. i do have a plan, maybe im just not properly sharing it with you.

i already have a pretty impressive surround system, but im not totally happy with my amps. my fronts are being driven by a pair of rotel MB-1070's. they are biamped, and produce around 200wpc at 4 ohms, and since they are stereo, and one per speaker, im running passively bi-amped at around 400/ch. the speakers are magnepan tympani 1D's, which are pretty power hungry.

the rears arent as important for my purposes right now. BUT, if all works out, a pair of these amps for the rears wouldnt be bad either... but thats not taken into consideration.

SO, i currently have everything i need. i have all the amps and speakers, so its not like im building anything i dont already have.

so, in answer to your question, i only need two channels to evaluate the sound quality. i do this stuff for a living (i sell audio and do system consultation), so i have a "tuned" ear, or better yet im used to listening to amps on my system with the same damn songs ive heard 1 million times.

im not necessarily comparing this amp to "anything", im comparing it to things i have access to, and more importantly what i currently use. if it doesnt sound better than what i have, there is no use playing around with class D.

i dont plan on doing any tweaking or upgrading for just a test. i plan on using it in a "modest" form, that is, in a non-extreme application. i want to keep it pretty stock, but also not use inadequate parts either. just a basic textbook implimentation.

and i dont have meager expectations, they are actually quite high. i have heard a lot of things in my time, up to $1/2 million systems that have been properly designed in sound treated rooms. i dont expect THAT, but i expect it to live up to the hype in these threads.

the 180AD might be enough power to "test" with, its certainly not something i would keep if it sounded good. i would much rather use 400's. so, if im going to test them out, i might as well use 400's. that way, if i like them i can just keep them. either way, if i dont like it, i would sell them. but, i hope that wont happen.

hum, i wasnt quite clear about what i already have to test this thing. i have a TON of caps sitting around, and i was planning on using some i had laying around. i have various phillips, nichicons, some elnas (not enough for what i want to ultimately build though), and some others. i have high and low grade. i also have a bunch of bridge rectifiers, most 25-35amp, 600-1200V. the transformers will be 1.7kva toroidals with 45v secondaries. if i liked the sound and were doing it "for real", i would use better caps and a better power supply, maybe hexfreds or something.

i guess you may have thought that i didnt have parts at my disposal and i was planning on JUST buying the modules, and then trying to source all the other parts later. thats not the case. i have EVERYTHING i need to properly test these. i just want to see how they sound compared to what i have, and what ive heard. if they sound good, ill go from there, if not, ill sell them and not lose any sleep :)

i know i ask a lot of questions and seem new to this, but its just that im new to class d modules. ive been in this forum since '02 and have almost 2k posts. ive read a lot, im just not an engineer or an electronics major. so, some stuff i just dont get. but i know whats necessary to evaluate an amp.

cowanrg said:
chris,

im not sure if i was completely clear here...

im not simply planning to "toss" something together. i do have a plan, maybe im just not properly sharing it with you.

i already have a pretty impressive surround system, but im not totally happy with my amps. my fronts are being driven by a pair of rotel MB-1070's. they are biamped, and produce around 200wpc at 4 ohms, and since they are stereo, and one per speaker, im running passively bi-amped at around 400/ch. the speakers are magnepan tympani 1D's, which are pretty power hungry.

the rears arent as important for my purposes right now. BUT, if all works out, a pair of these amps for the rears wouldnt be bad either... but thats not taken into consideration.

SO, i currently have everything i need. i have all the amps and speakers, so its not like im building anything i dont already have.

so, in answer to your question, i only need two channels to evaluate the sound quality. i do this stuff for a living (i sell audio and do system consultation), so i have a "tuned" ear, or better yet im used to listening to amps on my system with the same damn songs ive heard 1 million times.

im not necessarily comparing this amp to "anything", im comparing it to things i have access to, and more importantly what i currently use. if it doesnt sound better than what i have, there is no use playing around with class D.

i dont plan on doing any tweaking or upgrading for just a test. i plan on using it in a "modest" form, that is, in a non-extreme application. i want to keep it pretty stock, but also not use inadequate parts either. just a basic textbook implimentation.

and i dont have meager expectations, they are actually quite high. i have heard a lot of things in my time, up to $1/2 million systems that have been properly designed in sound treated rooms. i dont expect THAT, but i expect it to live up to the hype in these threads.

the 180AD might be enough power to "test" with, its certainly not something i would keep if it sounded good. i would much rather use 400's. so, if im going to test them out, i might as well use 400's. that way, if i like them i can just keep them. either way, if i dont like it, i would sell them. but, i hope that wont happen.

hum, i wasnt quite clear about what i already have to test this thing. i have a TON of caps sitting around, and i was planning on using some i had laying around. i have various phillips, nichicons, some elnas (not enough for what i want to ultimately build though), and some others. i have high and low grade. i also have a bunch of bridge rectifiers, most 25-35amp, 600-1200V. the transformers will be 1.7kva toroidals with 45v secondaries. if i liked the sound and were doing it "for real", i would use better caps and a better power supply, maybe hexfreds or something.

i guess you may have thought that i didnt have parts at my disposal and i was planning on JUST buying the modules, and then trying to source all the other parts later. thats not the case. i have EVERYTHING i need to properly test these. i just want to see how they sound compared to what i have, and what ive heard. if they sound good, ill go from there, if not, ill sell them and not lose any sleep :)

i know i ask a lot of questions and seem new to this, but its just that im new to class d modules. ive been in this forum since '02 and have almost 2k posts. ive read a lot, im just not an engineer or an electronics major. so, some stuff i just dont get. but i know whats necessary to evaluate an amp.

Having mentioned cost a few times
Still, with all of that you had mentioned if the cost of the rest of what you want in your case was reasonable you'd consider trying it, and having mentioned cost a few times, I just didn't think you'd be someone with spare caps pushing the closet door open and thought the 180 would be cheapest overall to test with, using less expensive parts.

Anyway, I doubt you'll be disappointed with it, look forward to seeing what you think. I like how you plan on testing them and it might be a review worth reading:)

What do you have for soft starting a 1.7kVA toroidal? Something I hope.

Regards,
Chris

i mention cost because i dont like to waste money if i dont have to.

for instance, if i buy a pair of 180's and it sounds awesome, i would sell them at a small loss and get 400's. so, it would be silly to do that (in my opinion) when i could just buy the 400's in the first place.

im looking for "value", not cheapness, not "cost no object".

you didn't think i'd be someone with spare caps? hehe, you should check out the links in my signature sometime :) thats a very very very small portion of what i have. i have a 20' x 20' shop full of stuff, i only have a small pathway to walk to the workbench and thats it.

i hope i like these amps, it would save myself a lot of hassles! plus, i find it interesting that no one yet has discouraged me from trying these... there is usually SOMEONE that says "thats stupid!". but not here, no one seems to think its a bad idea. i hope they are right.

ill do something for a soft-start on the 1.7kva, havent really thought about it yet. WHATEVER i build, ill need a softstart for it, so i might do the lcaudio one, or the one hypex sells. there are several on the market. or maybe ill just get a variac and use that. who knows, its a small detail.

cowanrg said:
i mention cost because i dont like to waste money if i dont have to.

for instance, if i buy a pair of 180's and it sounds awesome, i would sell them at a small loss and get 400's. so, it would be silly to do that (in my opinion) when i could just buy the 400's in the first place.

im looking for "value", not cheapness, not "cost no object".

you didn't think i'd be someone with spare caps? hehe, you should check out the links in my signature sometime :) thats a very very very small portion of what i have. i have a 20' x 20' shop full of stuff, i only have a small pathway to walk to the workbench and thats it.

i hope i like these amps, it would save myself a lot of hassles! plus, i find it interesting that no one yet has discouraged me from trying these... there is usually SOMEONE that says "thats stupid!". but not here, no one seems to think its a bad idea. i hope they are right.

ill do something for a soft-start on the 1.7kva, havent really thought about it yet. WHATEVER i build, ill need a softstart for it, so i might do the lcaudio one, or the one hypex sells. there are several on the market. or maybe ill just get a variac and use that. who knows, its a small detail.

Variac will work. I used a 100W lightbulb just to throw a test together, it works but obviously limits the bass a great deal, that's good though, I have a great idea what it sounds like, what I want it to sound like from here, and everyone who's heard it thus far and found it lacking power will be blown away later and think I pulled something out of my hat :)

The little pathway, must be where you twist your cables?

I think you're in for a slight shock anyway, doubt you'll have ever seen value like this.

Regards,
Chris

classd4sure said:

Variac will work. I used a 100W lightbulb just to throw a test together, it works but obviously limits the bass a great deal, that's good though, I have a great idea what it sounds like, what I want it to sound like from here, and everyone who's heard it thus far and found it lacking power will be blown away later and think I pulled something out of my hat :)

The little pathway, must be where you twist your cables?

I think you're in for a slight shock anyway, doubt you'll have ever seen value like this.

Regards,
Chris

yeah, i do the lightbulb thing. i have a power cord that has a light bulb built into it that i use for testing stuff. i guess i could just do that. but i would rather listen to it in all its glory :)

well, that little pathway is all i have right now, but its not always been like that. i just havent had much time lately, and i have acquired a bunch of "stuff" from various places that will all be sold. i dont twist cables. i leave them straight :)

well, im optomistic for sure! but i hope its not JUST value, i hope its great sound too. thats REALLY what im looking for. but i also dont want it to cost $10k.

cowanrg,

You can always start with the lightbulb in series and then short it out with a (heavy) switch to see what the thing can do :D

It's interesting to see someone from "the business" testing the hyped DIY modules.

I've mentioned my DIY work a few times in a high-end store I like to visit here in Belgium, they just chuckle a bit and give me the "poor boy, he doesn't know what he's doing" look...

At least you keep your mind open to test these modules.

BTW, I'm not sure if you are aware, but if you test the UcD400's and they live up to the hype, but lack power somewhat, you can still try to bridge them - of course i'm not sure it will do any good for magnepans, because of the low impedance. UcD400's are limited to 20A of current, drive them under 4 ohms and the max. power output goes down.

I'm looking forward to your tests!

Yves

PS. If you haven't sold "transformer 2" on your DIY site yet, it's ideal to test UcD's, 42v secondaries! I tried with a classic transformer also, although a bit smaller. sound and mid/high ranges were almost identical, bass was there, but weak and slightly loose in comparison with the 500VA toroid i'm using now.

Yves Smolders said:
cowanrg,

You can always start with the lightbulb in series and then short it out with a (heavy) switch to see what the thing can do :D

It's interesting to see someone from "the business" testing the hyped DIY modules.

I've mentioned my DIY work a few times in a high-end store I like to visit here in Belgium, they just chuckle a bit and give me the "poor boy, he doesn't know what he's doing" look...

At least you keep your mind open to test these modules.

BTW, I'm not sure if you are aware, but if you test the UcD400's and they live up to the hype, but lack power somewhat, you can still try to bridge them - of course i'm not sure it will do any good for magnepans, because of the low impedance. UcD400's are limited to 20A of current, drive them under 4 ohms and the max. power output goes down.

I'm looking forward to your tests!

Yves

PS. If you haven't sold "transformer 2" on your DIY site yet, it's ideal to test UcD's, 42v secondaries! I tried with a classic transformer also, although a bit smaller. sound and mid/high ranges were almost identical, bass was there, but weak and slightly loose in comparison with the 500VA toroid i'm using now.

well, people that work in those stores arent interested in the next new thing unless its THEIR thing. thats not a bad thing, i worked in a high-fi store here that was pretty high-profile. ALL THE TIME, people would bring stuff to show us, many were real commercial companies. so those people see a TON of products, and quite frankly, most were junk. the worst was people that would bring in their home-brew cables. they were always the same cable, silver or silver-plated, teflon tubes, twisted or braided. and it always sounded the same, worse than all the commercial interconnects. i dont want to start a cable debate (im a fan of cables), but everyone would try to make their own, and completely missed the boat.

i thought of bridging the amps if they arent enough power, but i would probably just end up getting the 700's, because they are supposed to sound better. plus, my speakers are 4 ohm, so bridging isnt the best option there.

i guess that transformer would work if the toroidals dont. unfortunately, i only have one of them, and i will be building monos so that wont work. i will keep an open mind and test it all out! im curious too.

alright!

i cleaned up my shop, now its able to be used!

i ordered the spare parts needed to complete the "test". its going to start basic, and i can upgrade it later if i see any potential. so if any nay-sayers (such as myself at this point) are curious, in a couple of weeks i will have a test pair of monoblocks made and i will compare them with various things and see how they sound. im pretty excited.

about how long does shipping take from these guys? if its awhile, i should probably order it now... any ideas?

well, they still havent shown up yet, hopefully they will show up this week (its been over 10 days already :( ).

but, in the meantime, i have built a pair of chassis for them with power supplies. so, my test rig will have 1.7kva transformer, with 45v secondaries (unloaded), 13,200uf total capacitance (per supply) with dual 35A bridge rectifiers.

they look like this:

Attachments

• ucd1.jpg
    ucd1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 682
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.