Thermaflo Quotes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would powder coating act as a good insulator or a 'blanket' for a heatsink?

I've heard that paint offers very little thermal resistance and I don't suspect a powder-coat would be wildly different. It would be nice to see some hard data on the performances of different finishes.

Just out of curiosity Gaucho, what were you planning (or already built) to build with 65340's?

I'm still rounding up parts for a balanced push-pull class A (mono-block) amplifiers of my own design. I presently listen to a home-made Aleph 4's built into mono-blocks and heavily tweaked. The Alephs may very well prove to be a excessively high bench mark by which to compare my own work. If my existing Alephs better my design even after lots of subsequent tweaking, I will simply turn the push-pull into a balanced single-ended design and go from there. :smash:

How about you Beedlo, perhaps you are building two stereo Aleph30's for a bi-amped system? Please do tell. :)

I got a quote back for a 4 inch extrusion of 65340, yes inches :D

I gave them a call and they sense that something was weird as well, they calculating another quote as we speak.

But here is what it costs for a 4" *smirks* length:

$50.00 setup fee.
$26.26 Black anodize 65340, 4"

I was planning on building two Aleph 30s, one as a gift for my cousin. I was digging through all my junk yesterday and found a Maryland 800VA +/-25 VAC toroid. I honestly don't know where that came from ;) . So now I have plans for building an Aleph 30 and a dual channel Aleph 60 or 5 :devilr:

As with powder coating, I am tempted to find two identical heatsinks, one anodize, and one powder coated. I know someone who works in the auto industry and may be able to get something small powder coated for cheap.

I was digging through all my junk yesterday and found a Maryland 800VA +/-25 VAC toroid. I honestly don't know where that came from .

Score! I should have junk drawer like that! It would make my day if a few big toriods just sorta showed up in there! :D

My brother has had a a lot of powder-coating done, I'll have to ask him about cost. A side-by-side camparison like you mention would be nice to try.

It's funny all trouble your having with R-Theta, I had a rather straight forward experience with them. My heatsinks might show up next week or soon after. I can give a report on quality in the near future, given all the things I've heard about R-Theta I expect I'll be pleased

I just got my quote back from R-Theta.

The following is the price for six 8" extrusions of 65340, black anodized.

Part
65340-8.0"B
Qty.
Unit Price
Setup Fee
So total minus shipping would be ~ $350.

A piece from conrad is slightly more expensive but shipping is :hot:

By the way Gaucho, do you have any pictures of your Alephs?
I am sure the sight of your Alephs would be inspirational. :bigeyes:

I don't know which one is yours, but they all look really nice to me.

Oh, I see I wasn't very clear in my last post. A pic of my amp is posted here on diyaudio.com not on the passdiy site. I just linked the passdiy.com gallery to provide some proper inspiration.

I recieved my heatsinks today! I'm very pleased with them, they have nice anodizing and the cuts are very clean. :D

How long did they take to arrive?

I received order confirmation by e-mail on the 17th, which I believe was the same day I placed the order. The sinks shipped on the 31st just as stated in the confirmation. So it was only 2 weeks and a day.

Did you have to pay for shipping?

Yep, the buyer pays for shipping. When I placed my order I asked them to put the shipping charge on their shipping account and then just bill my credit card for the cost.

I just got a quote back from ThermaFlo for some of their really wide extrusions for a little project I'm contributing to:

Casey,

Here are the prices of the heatsinks you requested.

12 pieces E1365U-F X 8.00" - 330.45 each
12 pieces E1365U-F X 11.00" - 426.78 each
12 pieces E1365U-F X 18.00" - 697.09 each

Let me know how you would like to proced.

Regards,

Gary Kuzmin
ThermaFlo Inc.

YIKES!:bigeyes:

I'm waiting on a quote from R-Theta...

-Casey Walsh

I just got a quote back from ThermaFlo for some of their really wide extrusions for a little project I'm contributing to:

I looked up the E1365U-F extrusions; they're 27.84 inches wide and 36.31 pounds per foot!:eek:

12 18" pieces will weigh over 650 pounds! Can this be right? Your going to need to rent a fork-lift if those arrive at your doorstep!

The sinks are for a little project!?!:clown:

Casey, when R-theta gets back to you, please let us know their quote too.

Thank you for the reply Gaucho. I just placed an order with R-Theta except I will be sending a cheque.

A cheque is a good idea! I got charged twice on my credit card! No doubt due to my non-standard request:

When I placed my order I asked them to put the shipping charge on their shipping account and then just bill my credit card for the cost.

I paid once for the heatsinks and once for the heatsinks plus shipping! :bigeyes:

Not a big deal at all, I 'll just have to let R-Theta know so they can remove the extra charge.:cool:

Glad to hear your taking the plunge Beedlo!:smash:

If I drop you into the middle of this thread, you'll understand...

Yes I know of your participation in that project, I was being a bit tongue in cheek. ;)

I do have a question or two regarding the Monster: Are you guys liable if you take out the state power grid? Do you have a lawyer on hand who is versed in such matters?:clown:

I get the feeling ThermoFlo prices are higher than R-Theta.

Casey's quoted prices from ThermaFlo seem good to me! 700 USD for 650 pounds of heatsink is cheaper then I would have ever thought possible. I have been told (incorrectly ?) the cost of just the electricity required to refine aluminium is about a buck per pound. :confused:

I will be very curious to see Casey's prices from R-Theta.

Gaucho said:

A cheque is a good idea! I got charged twice on my credit card! No doubt due to my non-standard request:

Actually, I don't a VISA card. They don't take Master.

I called Alicia the other day to place an order and all I got was a shipping account number, nothing else, not even the total. Is that all I need? I am so :confused: . My inexperience speaks for itself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.