"The World's Fastest Indian"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would take issue with the motorcycle declared not a viable option for transportation. I rode my 79 GS1000 for two years thru lots of rain & even snow & ice (Black ice). I went thru a half dozen "rainsuits" before I found one that actually worked right. The allure of riding is really hard to explain, either you "get it" or you don't. Safety while riding is something you have to accept, deal with & compartmentalize or you really won't truly enjoy it.
I have not seen one movie that does justice to the riding experience. Either they are too poorly made, or made in the "Hollywood style" of computer graphics & 'action', both don't focus in on what it's all about.
I saw a Honda NR750 for sale in France awhile ago....but it would be difficult to justify the 50-80K they wanted for it....Maybe I'll get an RC-30 & just hot-rod it to suit. I have had more of my fill of wire-wheels, flexible frames, skinny tires, poor brakes, vibrating engines to ever step back into that. Give me modern technology any day.......I look forward, not back.

___________________________________________________Rick.........

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
And concerning the 'freedom' Pennypacker was talking about before, well, I don't see it anywhere. Can't wind my own transformers, can't build my own chassis, can't do a decent paint job. Where's the freedom?

I remember listening to music with my headphones and 'dancing' with my bike while I was riding down the Pyrenees. I would put it in neutral, raise my hands up in the air and 'dance' with the bike using my hips. I would also attempt to take some corners doing that. Oh God.

And concerning the 'freedom' Pennypacker was talking about before, well, I don't see it anywhere. Can't wind my own transformers, can't build my own chassis, can't do a decent paint job. Where's the freedom?

I remember listening to music with my headphones and 'dancing' with my bike while I was riding down the Pyrenees. I would put it in neutral, raise my hands up in the air and 'dance' with the bike using my hips. I would also attempt to take some corners doing that. Oh God.

Sounds like your shackles are self imposed.

At the time, well I was 19 and into motocross,
Little Fauss and Big Halsy (1970) - IMDb

Wasn't so much about motorcycles so much as the people circus you find around them. Non typical Hollywood in that the pretty guy, Robert Redford, doesn't prosper.

I didn't see "On any Sunday" or "Dust to Glory" in anyone's list yet.

FWIW: Built my own motorcycle CDI with knowledge gained from decades of Audio experience.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
A Go-Cart would beat most anything around a motoCross. Quick acceleration, very very low to the ground... corners almost without braking on gumBall tires. But bikes are great fun to ride.

I only had a Susuki 450 and then a Kawasaki 750. Both a lot of fun.... but caught pneumonia on one and slipped in a pocket of sand at the apex of a turn on the other. Sort of took the fun out of it after that.

I stick to HiPo cars after that.

-Richard Marsh

Last edited:
funny-indian-picture-elephant-running-behind-man.jpg

Dan.

I only had a Susuki 450 and then a Kawasaki 750. Both a lot of fun.... but caught pneumonia on one and slipped in a pocket of sand at the apex of a turn on the other. Sort of took the fun out of it after that.

-Richard Marsh
Casualty ward staff refer to motorcyclists as organ donors.....glad you saw the light.

I used to wear/fray through the side walls of my silk tubular bicycle tyres....both tyres sliding mid corners and roundabouts....good thing I never got one with a motor !.

Dan.

A Go-Cart would beat most anything around a motoCross. Quick acceleration, very very low to the ground... corners almost without braking on gumBall tires. But bikes are great fun to ride.

I stick to HiPo cars after that.

-Richard Marsh

A pocket of sand almost led to my demise on mx. It took the fun out of it for for a long while. feeling returned in limbs I had lost it, get back on the horse. I'm a better rider because of it, more aware cooler headed, don't ride stupid on streets too unpredictable 200kmh +. and treat every car like its out to kill you. you will live long. -750 kawi-

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had an early Kawa 500 "Mach III" when I was 18...sold it after restoring it, to finance the first car.
Glad I never got more than a short test-ride on it; wheelie in 3.rd was scary back then...(lifted frontwheel in 4.th too...)
But I miss the "song" from the triple thru "open" sport-filters! (intake-roar was loud !)

Arne K

Last edited:
I had an early Kawa 500 "Mach III" when I was 18...sold it after restoring it, to finance the first car.
Glad I never got more than a short test-ride on it; wheelie in 3.rd was scary back then...(lifted frontwheel in 4.th too...)
But I miss the "song" from the triple thru "open" sport-filters! (intake-roar was loud !)

Arne K

I've been around motorcycles all my life. Guy I bought a1973 CR250 Honda, haven't restored it yet, was a former racer that had a huge motorcycle collection. I can't remember the model number H1-H3, set up for road racing with 3 expansion chambers. Loudest internal combustion engine I ever heard! I had heard everything from racing 7 liter v8s to 80 cubic inch Harley hill climb bikes. That Kawasaki triple was louder! You could actually feel your chest vibrate like you out of balance engine resting on your chest.

I've been around motorcycles all my life. Guy I bought a1973 CR250 Honda, haven't restored it yet, was a former racer that had a huge motorcycle collection. I can't remember the model number H1-H3, set up for road racing with 3 expansion chambers. Loudest internal combustion engine I ever heard! I had heard everything from racing 7 liter v8s to 80 cubic inch Harley hill climb bikes. That Kawasaki triple was louder! You could actually feel your chest vibrate like you out of balance engine resting on your chest.

The H1's are gorgeous bikes, my buddy has a 90'. I was interested in getting one before settling on my P3. They are getting scarce saught after bikes hard to find with all the right parts. Even the late 90 early 2000's when I came across mine I had to get it the things in impeccable condition and already had the mods I would of done myself. Full muzzy race exhaust for one and jetted 2 up k&n filter ignition avance etc, she purrs like a kitty. No major mods planned aside from some suspention work and a memory foam seat. I want it to keep some manners for street and be reliable for long trips. I don't need it to be faster its already stupid fast, scary sometimes.

Attachments

• g20.JPG
    g20.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The odd thing about Bert Munro was that, at the time, nobody considered what he was doing that unusual. I was a kid in Invercargill in the '60s and everyone knew what he was doing (it was hard not to - he did his speed trials out at Teretonga and Oreti Beach). He was simply part of the ambience of what is probably the most boring place on earth. Because he liked to keep to himself some regarded him as a bit of a nut.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.