"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

Good to know you're planning to try. :)

Maybe I also find the time, but in all honesty, The Wire is just a prototyping stage in my original project (fully differential head-amp with balanced volume control). This one will inevitably feature independent voltage regulation (most likely via local LT1763 or similar), as the board dimensions will certainly call for careful voltage distribution and current path routing...

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Well, I powered through the rest of the board construction today, so I'll start measuring and testing tomorrow.

Once everything is tested, then I'll start the payment process and start shipping out boards and kits. It's very likely that I'll start with people who only ordered boards since it's easy to pack and ship, and I'll still be waiting on a few parts for the kits to arrive. Once those are paid and shipped, I'll start on orders that have both kits and boards.

Also note that I'll be shipping all items in a single order, and this includes the LME power amps in the other thread.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress, and hopefully I can get some measurements up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• IMG_6985.JPG
    IMG_6985.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_6994.JPG
    IMG_6994.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_6993.JPG
    IMG_6993.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_6992.JPG
    IMG_6992.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_6991.JPG
    IMG_6991.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_6990.JPG
    IMG_6990.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_6988.JPG
    IMG_6988.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_6987.JPG
    IMG_6987.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_6986.JPG
    IMG_6986.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 690
A complete unit should be borrowed/sent to nwavguy , I am sure he wants to write a review and/or measure it. I kinda trust that guy, so please make your product more visible, because I really think it is a nice unit.

its not a product, but rather an extension of what Owen wanted for himself and a favor to the diya community, making his design more visible simply makes more work for him with no pay off. nwAvGUY (whatever =)) will simply conclude that any areas that the wire is better than O2 (and there will be several) are not audible. owen already has access to pretty insane quality measuring gear and makes no secret of the measurements (wait and se, he will post involved measurements of the new boards too performed on an audio precision system). these results are formed while following straight forward good practice using state of the art pcb layout and component choices, no smoke and mirrors; there really isnt a lot to learn, or gain from such an exercise. however if he wants to buy a kit i'm sure opc wont 'object'

in fact he already recommends the wire to those looking for a design using uber high spec parts

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Although all the kits are built and ready for measuring, I didn't get around to measuring anything last week (things have been a little insane at work). I will have everything done by Wednesday this week however, and will start accepting payments then.

I spent a lot of time over the weekend updating the Wiki page for the headphone amplifiers. It now includes pictures, pricing, and a full list of all participants. It should be your primary source for all info, so please check the list and ensure everything is correct!

"The Wire" Headphone Amp GB - diyAudio

I've also attached a PDF which contains a full list of all orders combined, so please check that as well. I'll be sending out emails based on this list when it comes time for payments.

As a side note:

BAL-BAL PCB's are SOLD OUT
SE-SE PCB's are SOLD OUT
PSU PCB's are SOLD OUT

If you're already on the list for PCB's then you can still upgrade your order to a full kit, but I am no longer accepting new orders for the SE-SE and BAL-BAL kits!

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• The Wire - Overall List - 11-20-2011.pdf
    54.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
My interest in "The Wire Amp" has lead me to purchasing a Bal-Bal kit.

I've got a pair of HD580's and Ortofon e-Q7's but have only ever listened to them from the headphone output on my laptop or mobile phone :eek:

So:

1) Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced and relatively compact USB dac with bal out? (Diy kit preferred and good digital volume control would be nice)

2) What do I do about converting my HD-580's to balanced? DIY? Where do I get plugs? What type of plug/s are commonly used for balanced headphones? (I'm looking at YOU qusp) ;)

3) I did a very quick model of a chassis with 2 x Antek AN-0115 to get some ideas on size and placement. Any comments? How much ventilation would be required? What sockets for input and output?

Attachments

• Bal-Bal Chassis.jpg
    Bal-Bal Chassis.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 460