"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

Quick question before I hit the buy button on Digikey...

I'm using the Wire PSU to power a JG Buffer for an ES9023 based dac -- The Acko ADK23P. The buffer requires 15v-0-15v and has a current draw of up to ~32mA. With no modifications to the PSU PCB could I use this trafo? -- Invalid Request

By the way built the SE-SE version about 1.5 years ago and it's still one of my favorite amps. Have brought it to a bunch of headphone meets and it always gets the nod of approval. Maybe someday I'll graduate to the BAL-BAL version.
Stay away from that transformer that's the one I use and it was very cheaply made the wires were very thin and only single insulated and it died on me within a week. I replaced it with an Antek for half the price and it is much better made with double insulated wires on both the primary and secondaries.

What enclosures are most of you using for your Wire builds? I made a mistake and ordered and enclosure that is to shallow to fit the power supply boards without having to redo them with shorter capacitors and heat sinks :cuss:
If anyone has any reasonably priced options please let me know I'd really like to give the amp a nicer enclosure then the plastic Radio Shack box it's in right now.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Try here:

o1robo EBAY

They look very nice, but might be better suited to tube amps. Implementing a volume control might be a little more of a challenge.

I crammed mine into a 6" Box Enclosures BEX 4 chassis. If you want a little more room, opt for the 8". A fellow DIYer (john) here in Ottawa helped me cut out the front and back panels from Sipo wood on the laser cutter at a local art/tech co-op. The picture is of one of my amplifiers, but you get the idea :)

Overall cost was less than $50.

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• ItemC-38.jpg
    ItemC-38.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 376
Try here:

01robo | eBay

They look very nice, but might be better suited to tube amps. Implementing a volume control might be a little more of a challenge.

I crammed mine into a 6" Box Enclosures BEX 4 chassis. If you want a little more room, opt for the 8". A fellow DIYer (john) here in Ottawa helped me cut out the front and back panels from Sipo wood on the laser cutter at a local art/tech co-op. The picture is of one of my amplifiers, but you get the idea :)

Overall cost was less than $50.

Cheers,
Owen
That looks really nice! I'm familiar with Box Enclosures from my O2 build but I was afraid it would be difficult to get everything mounted without a removable top cover. Did you have any trouble with that? BTW Ive been listening to my SE-SE for about two weeks now and I've never heard my HD580s sound so good!
Thanks for all your help:)

What enclosures are most of you using for your Wire builds? I made a mistake and ordered and enclosure that is to shallow to fit the power supply boards without having to redo them with shorter capacitors and heat sinks :cuss:
If anyone has any reasonably priced options please let me know I'd really like to give the amp a nicer enclosure then the plastic Radio Shack box it's in right now.

This is mine from Hammond, available on Mouser and RS (I do not know why, but the picture when uploaded is rotated).

northernsky

Attachments

• foto.JPG
    foto.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 452
That came out really nice do you happen to know the Hammond part#? Did you have to mount your power supply board on its side or did it fit standing up?

The Hammond product number is 1455Q1601. In the attached picture you can see how I mounted the pcbs. I could put the PSU standing up but I needed to use very short standoffs. The dept of the enclosure is only 160mm; as you can see in the picture the trafo is very near the amp board: no noise at all when it sounds, but now I would prefer the only deeper enclosure (n. 1555Q2201, 220mm deep). I like its Apple Mac look.

Northernsky

Attachments

• IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 409
Yeah the chassis made by 01robo on eBay are well worth the mula. They may be marketed towards those building tube amps, though I've used a few on amps and a DAC and just flipped the case and things came out fine. I know Misterrogers uses these chassis as well and he builds his with the chassis in its default orientation. BTW, you can have him make the chassis any dimensions you want.

The Hammond product number is 1455Q1601. In the attached picture you can see how I mounted the pcbs. I could put the PSU standing up but I needed to use very short standoffs. The dept of the enclosure is only 160mm; as you can see in the picture the trafo is very near the amp board: no noise at all when it sounds, but now I would prefer the only deeper enclosure (n. 1555Q2201, 220mm deep). I like its Apple Mac look.

Northernsky

Thanks that looks perfect:). I think I may go with the next size larger because I planning to add an onboard USB DAC in the future. The one you used looks to be about the same size as my temporary plastic enclosure. It's a little bit cramped but even with the messy wiring it's dead silent even on sensitive IEMs! The Wire really is an amazing little amp:D
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks that looks perfect:). I think I may go with the next size larger because I planning to add an onboard USB DAC in the future. The one you used looks to be about the same size as my temporary plastic enclosure. It's a little bit cramped but even with the messy wiring it's dead silent even on sensitive IEMs! The Wire really is an amazing little amp:D

Hi,

can you tell me how did you wire the pcbs to the enclosure ground?
Did you connect the PSU input AC OV to the chassis ground?

Thank you

northernsky

Hi,

can you tell me how did you wire the pcbs to the enclosure ground?
Did you connect the PSU input AC OV to the chassis ground?

Thank you

northernsky
All I did was connect a wire from the power supply pcb ground to the chassis ground. I'm not sure if it's the best/right way I just did the wiring the fast and easy way since it was only temporary. Here's a pic showing where I connected the wire from the chassis ground.
a7711d29b447420ae64f43257e1af7b7_zps383a0213.jpg

All I did was connect a wire from the power supply pcb ground to the chassis ground. I'm not sure if it's the best/right way I just did the wiring the fast and easy way since it was only temporary. Here's a pic showing where I connected the wire from the chassis ground.

Thank you for your detailed reply; you confirmed my toughts, I did the same.

northernsky