• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wire" Official Boards for All Projects Available Here! BAL-BAL, SE-SE, LPUHP

Ah, nice to know.

I've got two more questions though. What is the performance reduction I get when I run the Bal-Bal into a single ended output? And why are the measured THD to Volt performances for the Se-Se and Bal-Bal (as linked on this page The Wire - All Boards and Kits Explained Here!) the same picture?

This might not be the correct place to ask, but when are the orders taken? Would it be possible to link both a Bal-Bal and Se-Se to one Wire PSU?

Also, the BOM in the Wiki states that the BAL-BAL needs only 2 LME49610's per board, is this correct?

Kind regards

has anyone listened to at least two of these reg for comparison?

-adm7151
-lt3042
-reflektor-D

there seems to be positive overall appreciation for adm7151 chip around the web and i've seen only Owen designing a PCB for the lt3042...

i have finally orderedd and tested adm7151 on the clock of my m2tech module.

i dont have a definitive review, but so far, i can say that the bypass pin seems to like big capacitance (i have 2200uF panasonic FC right now installed alone) and increasing the load bias doesn't seem to improve the sound a lot, contrary to other regs i've tried (salas v1, jung superreg, lm317, ld33), which in itself is neither a bad or a good thing.

the jung superreg would be the clear winner in my mind...if only i could get rid of the high frequency emphasis that is annoying a bit. i'm currently designing a better layout and will try other op-amps as well (i'm using lmp7731 right now)....

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are there any more NTD1 v.4 pcbs available? I would like another board as I want to experiment with some different parts, etc.

My build with an old B-II (new Tridents and CCHD-575 XO powered by AD 7150) and 3µF MusicCaps is sounding fantastic, thanks!

Yup!

Signup on the usual spreadsheet. I have plenty of NTD1 boards still in stock.

Regards,
Owen

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
i have finally orderedd and tested adm7151 on the clock of my m2tech module.

i dont have a definitive review, but so far, i can say that the bypass pin seems to like big capacitance (i have 2200uF panasonic FC right now installed alone) and increasing the load bias doesn't seem to improve the sound a lot, contrary to other regs i've tried (salas v1, jung superreg, lm317, ld33), which in itself is neither a bad or a good thing.

the jung superreg would be the clear winner in my mind...if only i could get rid of the high frequency emphasis that is annoying a bit. i'm currently designing a better layout and will try other op-amps as well (i'm using lmp7731 right now)....

I made custom dual channel AVCC regs for my BII using both the ADM7150 (fixed voltage version of the 7151) and the LT3042.

I personally prefer the LT3042, but there's not much in it. Voltage stability with the 7150 isn't great, and the requirement for a massive polymer bypass cap to get low noise really sucks. From a measurement perspective, both the LT3042 and ADM7150 are impossible to distinguish when used for AVCC.

As for giant shunt regs in this application, I think implementation starts to trump any actual advantages for these types of regs. When you're talking about the kind of low noise and output impedance these regs can provide, keeping them close to the PoL with short and well shielded leads is far more important than the minuscule performance differences of the regs themselves. If you have some absurd 10W dissipating thing wired up to AVCC with 5" long 24AWG leads, you're probably getting worse performance even if the reg is technically better.

Regards,
Owen

I recently signed up, and also paid...actually overpaid and waiting for a reply on that - cancelled the two ntd1 v3 and ntd1 psu boards. OPC.."Send me an extra BAL-BAL and SE SE and we can call it even. "But wondering when these boards are to ship? I've already placed an order for BOM for 6 diff boards. :) hopefully soon so I can get started on them.
At least I got an email stating "its time to pay". Did you get that email ACG? actually I don't see you on the final list here.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BwJ6vhZlhLPSwlYk1Fq8DQmbCIBSjy9gh8cr0Z1hRQQ/edit#gid=0

Last edited:
I think Owen is busy with his real job.

It takes a little bit time but everything will come to your door and you will be happy with the boards. (Like me ;))

I recently signed up, and also paid...actually overpaid and waiting for a reply on that - cancelled the two ntd1 v3 and ntd1 psu boards. OPC.."Send me an extra BAL-BAL and SE SE and we can call it even. "But wondering when these boards are to ship? I've already placed an order for BOM for 6 diff boards. :) hopefully soon so I can get started on them.
At least I got an email stating "its time to pay". Did you get that email ACG? actually I don't see you on the final list here.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BwJ6vhZlhLPSwlYk1Fq8DQmbCIBSjy9gh8cr0Z1hRQQ/edit#gid=0

I spoke to OPC a couple of times by email last year after I had been on the list for a few months with no action but when my order was to be finalised he just dropped off the map and has been unresponsive since. At that time I ordered the parts for 6 boards and they are all here waiting for the pcb's.

I am not on that list you linked me to...I don't know where that one comes from...I am on the list from the first page of this thread at line 57, since about last July I think. Owen had seen me there, he had mentioned it in his emails. Not sure what to do really. I think I'll put my name on the list you linked me to and see what comes of it (EDIT: does not look like that sheet is for ordering).

Last edited:
I think Owen is busy with his real job.

It takes a little bit time but everything will come to your door and you will be happy with the boards. (Like me ;))

I have no doubt in my mind that is the reason they haven't shipped. I just want to try to catch him before the do. As I have an overpayment that needs addressed before they go out. :) I'm quite patient. At the same time I can't deny I'm also excited as I'm putting together my first big DIY project. They boards are a nice part of the project.

I think quite highly of Owen "OPC" and know he has been crazy busy with his move to the states and work in general. I could go as far to say as his work and contributions to diyaudio community are most impressive to me when compare to everything else I've seen on this site. :) thank you OPC!

I spoke to OPC a couple of times by email last year after I had been on the list for a few months with no action but when my order was to be finalised he just dropped off the map and has been unresponsive since. At that time I ordered the parts for 6 boards and they are all here waiting for the pcb's.

I am not on that list you linked me to...I don't know where that one comes from...I am on the list from the first page of this thread at line 57, since about last July I think. Owen had seen me there, he had mentioned it in his emails. Not sure what to do really. I think I'll put my name on the list you linked me to and see what comes of it (EDIT: does not look like that sheet is for ordering).

That list is the finalized order list to check status on your official order. Not the make your order and wait list...

Does anyone have any extra/spare LT3042 parallel psu boards? two would be needed asap to complete my project.

I have some spare LME49610's as well. not many, maybe 4-5 extra.

I would like to see more photos of some completed LT3042 boards. Greg Stewart posted some. I was curious if there is a heatsink that could be added on the top to help cool the Lt3042's and potentially get a little more output. Which heatsinks have worked for anyone? I've seen nearly NO photos of this psu completed. kinda surprised!?

btw, I have 4 on order, but really hoping I could get some spares from anyone that may have a few laying around. I need them sooner than later.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hey Owen,

Hoping to get your general thoughts on the most performant way to proceed with the low-voltage NTD1 given the 15V max output of the LT3042.

My options seem to be:

Build four LT3042 boards, set them at +/-9V, and run the pairs in series to get the +/-18V you simulated with 45R and 98R gain resistors.

Or I could lower the gain resistors further to get the NTD1 rails down to +/-15V or below. This would allow me to use only two LT3042 boards.

This would require simulating the circuit to determine the resistor values and output voltage. I would then need to increase the BAL-BAL gain to compensate for the lower NTD1 gain and reach a total output of 1VRMS.

I found an older LTSpice NTD1 model (attached), which I believe is the first or second version of the circuit. I'm happy to attempt to simulate the latest version, but I was hoping to get your advice first on whether this is a worthwhile task based on your knowledge of the circuit.

Basically, whether reducing the voltage further, having only two power supply boards, and moving more of the gain to the BAL-BAL would result in better performance than simply staying at +/-18V.

Thanks Owen!

Attachments

• NTD1 Basic.asc
    3.1 KB · Views: 43
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Take a look at the CTS AFP-19-19-13CB. I plan on using these with my LT3042 boards.

These look VERY nice... I'll get a few too. I'm sure a couple of my planned applications for Owen's great boards will need some heat relief.

I also wanted to provide an update on my objective experience using Owen's paralleled LT3042 boards. In a previous post I showed how I had used one to provide 5v & 3.3v to the clocks and PCM5122 DAC chip on a highly-modified HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro Raspberry Pi DAC Hat. Honestly, when I first listened to this after some break-in, I was very disappointed. I got the improvements in dynamics and bass extension I expected, but the overall sound was recessed and not very musical. I was concerned that possibly the regulator board was part of the problem, as I had not used one anywhere else yet.

About a week ago I got some tweaks to the driver and player software from a guy working to optimize this setup. These simple changes transformed the sound of the modified DAC on the Pi and it went from my poorest-performing digital source to rivaling my best ones. Apparently the driver and software configurations were very non-optimal! Now I am not only DELIGHTED with the sound I am getting out of the setup, but it is performing FAR beyond what I every expected from a modified $45 DAC card (although with over $100 in materials for the LT3042 board and the replacement SMD PPS film caps and being powered by about $300 of linear supplies, one would expect the performance I am now getting from it).

Owen's LT3042 reg board has to be a key contributor to that performance. It could not sound this good if there were any issues with that board. I not only no longer have any concerns about it, I am now looking at additional places I can use them!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited: