• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wire" Official Boards for All Projects Available Here! BAL-BAL, SE-SE, LPUHP

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

There is no substitute for the TPS7A3301KC. You would either need to build / source a different PSU, or find a source locally for the TI parts.

I'm also not sure I would use the word "hostile" so much as they just aren't particularly interested in the burden of international shipping for single part orders totaling less than $20. I think that's a reasonably understandable business decision.

We deal with that all the time here in Canada, and we're right next door to the US and have a full free-trade agreement. I still end up driving 200km to the US to pick stuff up because shipping to Canada is prohibitively expensive, or just not an option.

Ironically, both Mouser and Digikey are some of the only US companies to offer parity shipping options between their Canadian and US customers. As long as I have a $200 order, it ships for free and shows up the next morning. I have yet to find another company who is as good as those two.

Regards,
Owen

Kits

I guess your question is 2 parts...

I have no idea regarding when PCBs for LME49830 amps will be available but regarding your question about kits the answer is here from Owen:

In all likelihood, these will only ever be offered as boards with a complete BOM where you can order your own parts.

Here's the reasoning:

1. The boards are meant to be DIY, and to encourage people to source and build their own stuff. They are not meant to be "lower cost alternatives" to completed products (which I will be offering shortly).

2. It's a serious PITA to stock all the parts for kits, and to pack/prep the kits. It also usually means shipping in parcels instead of lettermail, which gets very expensive for international buyers.

3. If I charged people for the time it took me to order the parts, prep the kits and ship everything out, nobody would buy the parts kits anyhow since they would be way too expensive.

4. I want to leave the option open for people to organize their own group buys and really leverage the DIY spirit to get prices down as low as possible. The parts for these amps can be had much cheaper if your order quantities are in the hundreds or thousands of pieces.

Dear opc, is it viable to make The Wire with LME49710?

I'm considering making one with 49710 and one with 49990, to see if I can hear any difference.

The lme49710 will work fine. If you take a look at page 10 of the lme49600 datasheet you will see a headphone amp circuit that uses the lme49720 and there is even an evaluation board available.

Thank you. If I can hear a difference, hopefully via a controlled blind test which is my idea, will it be due to lower distortion in the LME49990...... or could it be due to another parameter as well?

Last edited:
Regarding the new PSU, are there any options regarding the SMD capacitators at Mouser? I looked for them, but the Muratas seem to be out of stock and there's not much else. I have to order through Mouser.

Some help here?

And sorry for the double posting (I can't edit the original post now), I just ordered another SE-SE amp and PSU boards.

Cheers, Owen!

PSU and SE-SE board populated, first smd project, everything works great ! No dc on output see by my crappy voltmeter. +14,95/-15V on PSU. Crappy jacks inputs/outputs gived me some fear, but it was only nasty connection. Tested with crappy heaphone, that didn't sound so crappy. I left my preferred headphone at work, so i will test it tomorrow evening. Very happy ! Now, it need a box ! Thanks !