"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

so you didn't realise that people wear Cartier when Timex will do. Drive a Bentley when a Mercedes is a perfectly good car.

No, just the ones with little knowledge or experience who talk down to those with plenty of both.

haha, you certainly have a taste for irony. I did not say anything against transformers, I objected to your massive and derogatory sweeping statement, even bringing class into it. all because I suggested that removing the PCB entirely from a surface mount amp, that is ALL about the PCB was a very strange choice and expecting it might perform better was folly

then you choose to say that IM the one talking down to people? comedy, pure comedy

anyway i'm buying out of this conversation, dont expect further comment

Last edited:
Ian's approach of a PCB-less build is not bad IMO; actually that's why I went out of the GB months ago.
When you have experience with point to point wiring a good result with the LME driver is certainly possible; I see no reason why a PCB-less amp should measure/sound worse or better; just a different (and creative) approach.
Qusp, you once again become a bit too personal in your judgments. By the way: your remark "what you did however is defensively lay insult to a large chunk of the thread and the amp designer" provoked a loud outburst of laughter here. Amp designer? Come on, the Wire Amp is nothing but an application of LME49830 + output stage, not very much to "design" apart from a PCB.
There are different grades of DIY'ers, ranging from "building from scratch" to "assembling readily available parts of a well-proven design".
Ian is maybe more of a scratch builder with a critical attitude, and therefore I rank him a bit higher on the DIY ladder than those who are mere able to duplicate a proven design.
No reason for talking about comedians, changing professions or zero intelligence IMO.

thats not what got my back up pieter, well not totally. what got my back up was his reaction to my initial suggestion including classifying the whole group buy of the power supply as penny pinching paupers; simply because it doesnt fit with his view and because he didnt like me questioning him. go back and look at my initial post and see if its actually rude?

huh, not use the PCB at all? or just not for mounting the fets since you are paralleling more? if the former, do you really expect to improve performance by doing this?
this provoked a characterization and a personal attack against not just me and heres me with an infraction? sorry i'm at a loss here

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
SY:

I'm not seeing anything of value to the DIY community from post 1590 to 1603 if you want to blow away a few pages of angry fighting.

To address Ian's original questions:

Did you receive my PM regarding the remaining LME49830 chips you were selling?

If these are not all sold can I have four please.

$24 + shipping and the PayPal 3.4% + 20p. Please let me know the postage.

Yes, I have enough left to send you 4. I'll send you a PM.

Do you think these chips will be OK for a higher voltage, 90 or 95V, if mounted on a larger heatsink than the Ohmite?

Absolutely, but that would have to be a regulated 95V or you could easily creep over the maximum values under high-line conditions. It is not recommended to mount the LME to the same heatsink as the output devices, so you would need a larger separate sink for the LME

I plan to not use the PCB. Do you think that will matter at all that there won't be the ground plane? I attempted to measure the capacitance that might be added by the ground plane and tracks to the compensation capacitor; maybe 1pF or so.

Depending on how good your point to point skills are, this might work. I've never done it myself with the LME, but I'm sure it's possible. You already know that the compensation cap is critical, so just solder it carefully between the required pins.

I've seen people do this (and have done it myself) with chip amps, so I would imagine it might work here too. I would guess, and it's only a guess, that you'll end up with a slightly higher noise floor without the ground plane, and I would imagine decoupling would also be slightly worse since lead length is almost guaranteed to be longer.

Re the the high bias current and lower and lower distortion, do you think that would be more about the LME chip or more about the Semelab ALFETS? If using higher voltage rails how would that affect the distortion in respect to the bias setting? Do you think proportionally less bias would be equal to lower rails and more bias?

The bias and voltage/current is definitely for the output devices and not the LME. There are some charts showing the LME performance at different supply voltages in the datasheet, so you can see what you get there.

The higher voltage would probably help to an extent, but the real benefits in terms of distortion reduction comes from the current. It would be safe to say that you'd probably see a slight improvement at 80V and 400mA versus 30V and 400mA, but it's not like the 80V version is going to measure better than the 30V version at 1A bias.

Cheers,
Owen

... I would guess, and it's only a guess, that you'll end up with a slightly higher noise floor without the ground plane, and I would imagine decoupling would also be slightly worse since lead length is almost guaranteed to be longer.

Indeed a guess I'd say; we deal with AF here, not RF or digital.
IMO good point to point wiring should be equally good.
Decoupling could be made even closer to the important pins this way; it is more of working 3D instead of a neat "2D" PCB.

actually i'd like to see that comparison. we arent actually dealing with only AF here pieter

That will be a difficult affair; PCB layout is fixed; P-P can be done in different ways.
I'd be more interested (and more on topic here) in a good comparison between hiqh quality SMPS and linear supply options, since you guys seem not to be far off building/finishing the amps.

I'd be more interested (and more on topic here) in a good comparison between hiqh quality SMPS and linear supply options, since you guys seem not to be far off building/finishing the amps.

Could you define 'good comparison' please pieter?

Was Owen's evaluation not sufficient to make a good comparison? Since his first set of measurements was with linear supply earlier in the thread and the most recent with a variety of smps configurations isn't that enough for us to draw our own conclusions already? My money went with the smps so you can see what my decision was ...

Do you have any vested interest in starting yet another debate whereby you can promote the virtues of a transformer based linear power supply? What value does it add to bring it up again now? At this stage I think the debate has been had plenty of times and Owen has given his evaluation, no one even has a smps other than Owen yet and I doubt anyone is in a better place to make the comparison than he is.

Last edited:
Define good comparison pieter t.

Wasn't Owen's exhaustive evaluation sufficient to make a good comparison? Since his first set of measurements was with linear supply earlier in the thread and the most recent with a variety of smps configurations isn't that enough for us to draw our own conclusions already? My money went with the smps so you can see what my decision was ...

Apparently it is enough for you to conclude, which is perfectly OK.
However I know that not all linear supplies are equal in quality, and besides the requirements can be quite different (class AB or class A for example).
In my opinion a stock toroidal transformer with a huge bank of capacitance is not a high quality supply for a class AB amplifier.

Do you have any vested interest in starting yet another debate whereby you can promote the virtues of a transformer based linear power supply? What value does it add to bring it up again now? At this stage I think the debate has been had plenty of times and Owen has given his evaluation, no one even has a smps other than Owen yet and I doubt anyone is in a better place to make the comparison than he is.

No, I have no interest in restarting the power supply debate :rolleyes:
If you want to follow the leader by choosing for a SMPS, please do so :)
I guess that not all Wire Amp builders will use the SMPS, so I expect comments from SMPS users and linear supply builders, and that's what I am interested in.

Apparently it is enough for you to conclude, which is perfectly OK.
However I know that not all linear supplies are equal in quality, and besides the requirements can be quite different (class AB or class A for example).
In my opinion a stock toroidal transformer with a huge bank of capacitance is not a high quality supply for a class AB amplifier.

Ok, but you have to prove it. I think I asked you kindly enough weeks ago to do so in a pm, before I made my decision on the DPS600, I unfortunately did not get any reply from you. :confused:

Ok, but you have to prove it. I think I asked you kindly enough weeks ago to do so in a pm, before I made my decision on the DPS600, I unfortunately did not get any reply from you. :confused:

You mean this one (my reply to you May 9th)?
Re: Wire Amp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo
Hi Peter,

I saw you came up with a few interesting comments on the Wire amp thread. I am on the GB for 10 boards as I am multi amping my system.

I would be very interested to see what's your take on this debate with Roberto's SMPS. What is your opinion?

Cheers

Laurent
Hi Laurent,

I have no experience with Roberto's SMPS, so it is not possible to comment on that one apart from the fact that of course it should function flawlessly without the risk to blow speakers.
OPC was quite enthusiastic with the SMPS some months ago, and at that time I questioned the superiority of a SMPS over a high quality linear supply.
Until now (I just had a post in that direction) there has not been a comparison.
I would start with the good linear supply, also because it seems a more logical combination with a class A/B amplifier, and I have more expectations from linear supplies as fas as reliability and life expectancy is concerned.
Multiple power supplies in multi amp systems will be very good (but quite expensive of course), but in a dedicated system you should have great results when worked out well.
For example low bias high power supply voltage amps for bass, and higher bias / lower supply voltage amps for mid and treble.
It's all in optimizing a given concept; no need for SMPS to do that IMO.

Regards,

Pieter

Last edited:
No, I have no interest in restarting the power supply debate :rolleyes:
If you want to follow the leader by choosing for a SMPS, please do so :)

From your contact details on your profile:
Tribute - The final word in audiotransformers

Tribute power supply transformers are wound on c-cores as well. These transformers are low temperature with minimal strayfields. Resonances are absent. Electrostatic shields are applied to reduce transfer of power line pollution. Center taps are very precise as a result of symmetrical winding techniques. A high quality power supply transformer is the real starting point for a high quality amplifier!

Sounds to me like keeping transformer sales flowing is at least part of your interest. Happy for me to be corrected on this matter, but for a transformer manufacturer to be continually questioning the quality of an alternative power supply technology without disclosing their commercial interest raises some concerns.
I guess that not all Wire Amp builders will use the SMPS, so I expect comments from SMPS users and linear supply builders, and that's what I am interested in.

I look forward to hearing about others results, but subjective evaluation in totally different systems holds little value to me and my purchasing decisions.

Last edited:
no Pieter, I was referring to my reply on the 10th May, naively maybe asking for a good linear design as you seemed to know a lot on the subject, but since then I've done my own research and found my own conclusion. no ill feelings, I can understand you were busy and you don't owe me anything! :)
I also think you should have mentioned your commercial interest, even if you did not trully promote anything, Roberto was clearly showing his colours and contradicting him fiercely without mentioning your background is not very fair play.. it's basically called lobbying, the evil of this world.. I don't see why you are asking moderators protection really..

Last edited:
I'm ok with my post being deleted if it is seen as personal attack. I hope that you can see that there is at least some concern when those who are participating in any debate you chose to start are not fully understanding of your point of view.

Like I said, I am happy to stand corrected and I was hopeful that there was no further need for moderation on this thread, there has been plenty, especially surrounding power supply issues. I asked you directly if you have any interest in promoting the use of transformers, you say no, I just asked again more directly.

I do not have any interest in promoting the use of transformers here.
I am an audio guy; I post in threads on loudspeakers, DA converters, tube and SS electronics, and of course transformers (where I can contribute quite a lot without the intention to promote...).
When I need the forum for promotion I can simply open threads myself in a commercial sector or Vendors Bazar, but as stated before, I don't need it.
I always have been very keen on separating my commercial activity from my contribution at the forum.
When that turns out to become a problem it seems better for the moderators to change rules in that respect.

Last edited:
Not that anyone here is interested in my findings (findings not opinion) but I agree with this statement. Having been involved with the design and prototype development of a commercial class AB integrated stereo amplifier in 1997, samples of several makes of 500VA toroid were used to supply the low cost 8 x 10,000uf 63V caps. Each Tx performed differently. One radiated a field that a simple home made sensor was picking up a couple of meters away. Mechanical hum, a lot of variance. Effect on the sound from the speakers; varied from one Tx to another.

Throughout the 1990's I personally used many Tx of a wide span of qualities to drive the DAC and output stage on my CD player. PSU was 20 x Nichicon KZ 1000uF 50V, discrete regs, black gates and Oscons after them. Very wide variation is sound quality and tonal balance from the loud speakers. Even between different good grade Tx's. Lacking any proper measuring gear to make it make sense, it seemed like I was making just random shots in the dark. One special and secret configuration Tx someone brought around, apparently a C core in a potted can, had by far the sweetest treble but caused a boomy bottom end and we preferred the tonal balance of one of the others, even though the top was inferior. Frustrating.

I was interested to read in a Super Teddy reg thread where Teddy Pardo said that with his regs in place you could get rid of all those large PSU transformers and parts as they no longer made a difference. I'm keen to try it. Just as I'm keen to try a suitable SMPS, except my concern over very long term reliability. If the linear caps need replacing in 15 or 20 years, probably not a problem. However if the fancy SMPS goes, may have to scrap the whole amp. A linear supply won't fit in the box and another suitable SMPS will have to be available. as they're more likely than not, unrepairable.

Last edited:
Not that anyone here is interested in my findings (findings not opinion) but I agree with this statement. Having been involved with the design and prototype development of a commercial class AB integrated stereo amplifier in 1997, samples of several makes of 500VA toroid were used to supply the low cost 8 x 10,000uf 63V caps. Each Tx performed differently. One radiated a field that a simple home made sensor was picking up a couple of meters away. Mechanical hum, a lot of variance. Effect on the sound from the speakers; varied from one Tx to another.

Throughout the 1990's I personally used many Tx of a wide span of qualities to drive the DAC and output stage on my CD player. PSU was 20 x Nichicon KZ 1000uF 50V, discrete regs, black gates and Oscons after them. Very wide variation is sound quality and tonal balance from the loud speakers. Even between different good grade Tx's. Lacking any proper measuring gear to make it make sense, it seemed like I was making just random shots in the dark. One special and secret configuration Tx someone brought around, apparently a C core in a potted can, had by far the sweetest treble but caused a boomy bottom end and we preferred the tonal balance of one of the others, even though the top was inferior. Frustrating.

Sure, there must be variations out there, I myself have two similar amps at home, one has a very noisy trafo the other don't, same production batch, same trafo..
but your "findings" look more like capacitor sound competition rather then proper documented facts.. unless you could show us something? Tonal balance is mesurable, so is dynamic behaviour, distorsion and so on..

Tonal balance is mesurable, so is dynamic behaviour, distorsion and so on..
Yes if you have the tool to do it. We had only our ears plus a spectrum analyser which I don't have any results from. All scrapped over a decade ago. And to be honest, what matters is how it sounds on your system in your lounge. For that amplifier, as far as I know, not one single buyer anywhere asked for wave analysis prints. They just listened to it and then mostly bought one as they were such a good sound for the money.

What I'm saying is you have try these things for yourself, such as juxtaposing the mains wires to the transformer, I now know that has an effect and have been around to some people and swapped theirs back and forth and I think in all cases there was a preferred way around. Even if I had good data from my experiments they might not translate to a good sound on your system.

Perhaps what you'd like is if I could help to provide some meaningfully measured clarification as to what's going on but alas all I have is anecdotal evidence.

Last edited: