"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

no boards, no profusion does not have any fets and they wont be delivering in a week or 2, the Semelab Fab in Thailand was flooded, so there is a worldwide shortage of these devices in all their various shapes and sizes until they can manufacture more, which by the sounds of it will be 4-8 weeks

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mterbekke,

As qusp said, flooding seems to have impacted the location where they diffuse these, so there is indeed a shortage.

I spoke with profusionPLC and although they were great to deal with, the quote said that delivery was for end of March.

As for the boards/kits, hang tight for a month or so and I'll be posting the remainder of what I have for sale. Some people have backed out, and I have a surplus of some other parts, but I need to get the main orders shipped before I have a better idea of what is left.

Regards,
Owen

Own do you think the compensation circuit R and C values you determine will affected by the use of other types of MOSFET?

Eg, the 2SJ162 and 2SK1058 as I have over 60 of each type that I want of make use of.

I might try throwing together a subsequent pair of these amplifiers without the boards. Again, do you think there will be a variation needed to those R and C values when there's no ground plane?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi all,
OPC: the package, a few days late, got stuck due to the strike of transporters.(caos in Italy for this). UPS is coming back to us ... good! I groped to force it, calling UPS now.
please, send me PM. i have not your email and i can not send you PM.
i have some question about it. (perhaps you can use another SMPS (one smpsx2Amp 2x400w..style DPS-500)

Regards
Roberto

Last edited:
is this still fully regulated?

how about DPS-500/S-64V?

nice to see you back! we had wondered what happened to you.

Many thanks.. for the thought. time, it's my real problem.. :)
yes full regulated, very similar to DPS-500/64V. problem is that vcc for driver not have regulator. (aux output unregulated +/-80V)
This good amp from opc, need a custom voltage well.
Now awaiting response from UPS.

PM sent to AP2.

Glad you're back! Hopefully we can get this tested in the next week or two.

Regards,
Owen

Hi Opc, thank , I have the pleasure of hearing this .. (maybe in class A-B..air is different ) :)
ah!.. without regulators is good new for me. then think np.
tomorrow i confirm spedition. (i want send both model for your test). force "fast" deliver",ups said 2-3 days.
Regards
Roberto

I've been very busy in the past weeks, since i had some health issues few months ago, everything got behind and i had to recover a lot. not much time for the smps, indeed. all what i did was to assemble the prototypes on the boards shown here some weeks ago. Since I saw not too much interest among the potential customers, i gave up to update. I am not the kind of annoying salesman who will enter into your house on the bathroom window when you kick out him on the front door, and i use to design and produce mostly the boards which i like, not which are selling well, and to be honest, the current design has some particular requirements which are not very common or easy to do with low cost or complexity.
I saw some messages where someone has showed disappointing because is not regulated, and others were saying that they are not willing to try something which is under-development against something ready done, and i wasn't prepared to try to convince anyone that regulated or not, can do the job. for a class AB amplifier where the PSRR is far greater than of any similar amplifiers, the regulation of the power supply is the last thing which matters, and EMI content is among the first. an unregulated smps could have lower EMI than a regulated one, that's the idea on which i started the design. also, the supply rails for the preamplfier stage and for driver stage will be further regulated using linear regulators, only the power stage supply is not regulated.
Like i said few times before, if someone is really interested, i can continue to work at this project, i have many other projects to finish in the next months, mostly ODM's. In the meantime i made a new version of SMPS800R, with isolated aux. outputs, suitable for class D/T amps, where power stage, preamp. stage, and bias share different GND's. this power supply can be a starting point for the wire-amp, as the aux. supplies can be isolated and referenced to virtually any potential.
Every month I have few customers which purchase SMPS500R with aux. voltage on request, higher with aprox. 10V than the main output voltages, to be used with various Class AB amplifiers, mostly LME498xx. This smps is also suitable for this project. I saw some discussions where someone had asked if is possible to use any of the existing power supplies, the answer is yes, and the details are above.

cristi, good to hear from you too. i think you misunderstand regarding my preference for a regulated main supply voltage. the appeal of SMPS for me is the possibility of 3 things, in ascending order of importance: higher efficiency, smaller size and the possibility of a less cumbersome regulated high current supply than is normal with LINEAR power supplies. linear supplies do not have any meaningful switching noise, so it is not even a factor.

it is the possibility of a compact regulated psu that is the main reason i'm at all interested, given i already have all the parts minus the transformer for a linear supply and am prepared for both the electrical bill and the conscience that goes with it, as well as the large physical size, so all thats left is higher performance.

cristi, I intend to use Wire amps to power drivers in active biamped speakers and won't require more than 100 W to power any individual driver, so I am considering different models of your small dual PS, the SMPS300R, which is still capable of far more power than I will need.

You have said that the aux. voltage can be changed to be 10V higher than the main which seems a good fit to this project, but I see on pg 4 of the SMPS300R's web page the following:
"The auxiliary ouput voltage is not regulated, but the value is kept tight within 10% limits due to the good magnetic coupling with the main output winding. For noise sensitive applications further regulation is recommended."
Can you change the auxiliary voltage to be a regulated 10V higher than the main? What would be the additional cost of this mod?
Thanks.

Good day Forum,I am a newbie and have just read the thread to the end.Great work qsp you are a marathon man and a man for a marathon.I have been running lm49830 amps for about 3 months using linear supplies.audiomodule.com sell dual power supplies for this type of amp.Thanks for the really interesting thread,it was worth the long read.

I'm in for some supplies from Cristi.

If any others are interested maybe we should put together some numbers so we can firm up a group buy. His designs are well thought out. Although I'm nowhere close to Owen's ability as an Electrical Engineer I have designed a few pieces over the years. I understand the fundamental principles. And Cristi's work looks top notch.

I don't know exactly how, but would someone be willing to setup a page where we could do this? Trying to keep this thread somewhat on topic! As a start I'm in for four supplies. Three SMPS800R and a big boy! Really big boy! The 2KW! I will whip some woofers into shape! Muhahahaaaa!

I'm interested for sure. I need to decide on what output power I'll go for though, since it will dictate which SMPS to choose.

On that note, are the SMPS500R and SMPS800R available as dual outputs? The SMPS300R page explicitly states that a dual version is available, but I can't find any such info for the prior two.

yeah i'm still interested too, but regulated or not i'll need to see opc's results before deciding. Cristi, you were saying you would offer an upgraded version for the group if we were interested yes? i was just a bit concerned with some of the noise figures when you posted an option last time, maybe i just dont know what to look for with switchers, but if the noise is of no consequence due to being out of band, i want to see measurements of the actual amplifier output illustrating this.

I would traditionally avoid switching psus like the plague, so i hope you understand my hesitance. thus why it would help to have a real tangible benefit vs a good quality linear supply, such as regulation. the size and cost is nice, i like that, but its not enough by itself. my dac and i2s module operates well up into the switching band of your PSUs with hires PCM as well as DSD encoding, whether its above the hearing range or the range of my speakers or not i worry about interactions in the HF that i dont have the ability to scope and check

Emphrygian,
Yes, Cristi offers both single and dual models of those SMPS, but only the 800 has a regulated aux. supply. Click on webpage in the
For more information, visit this product's webpage
link for an overview complete with a table of the characteristics of the available models of each PS.

nope, the SMPS500R has auxiliary as well, but we would need to customize so the regulated aux is 10v higher than the main outputs, rather than much lower. none of the stock options are useful

Cristi has already done some work on modifying a custom unit for this GB taking these things into account, so discussion of the stock units may not be that useful.