• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wiener" TPA3118 amplifier card

SOL = s**t outta luck. You could start peeling turns off the secondary of that toroid, which might mean having to pull and reinstall the primary... personally I'd just buy one of these:

RS-150-24 Mean Well | Mouser

And that's actually a pretty sweet looking amp. And it's already set up to drive LM3886 amplifier chips - someone doing a build with a couple of tomchr's Modulus boards might really want that case. I wouldn't scrap it just yet.

Anyone made up their mind up for SQ and switch position? I still lean towards the 5-600kHz setting. Reproducing the sparkle intro on Chris Speeris Allura sounds the best on the lower frequency settings to me. 1000khz gives less treble quality and more heat in my setup. I have yet to make my mind up for the Mode position..

SOL = s**t outta luck. You could start peeling turns off the secondary of that toroid, which might mean having to pull and reinstall the primary... personally I'd just buy one of these:

RS-150-24 Mean Well | Mouser

And that's actually a pretty sweet looking amp. And it's already set up to drive LM3886 amplifier chips - someone doing a build with a couple of tomchr's Modulus boards might really want that case. I wouldn't scrap it just yet.

Gary,

Correct me if I am wrong, this SMPS is 24-0 V, not +-24 V. For confirmation, the Weiner does not require a +- rail? Since the TPA chip can work with a wide range of voltage, I can never tell. Thanks!

Regards,

You should get your order pretty quickly - I sent it xpresspost. I have the receipts with tracking #'s in a pile and haven't looked up who owns what yet, if it doesn't arrive soon I'll dig through them.

Further to my post #466, and your reply (above), I thought that I should confirm that my order did arrive (...so I'm no longer anxious about you filling those other orders).

fyi - I won't be firing it up for a little while, since I still have to make a decision w.r.t. power supply and buy some misc items (I have some vintage receivers in need of refurb, but no "parts drawer" full of unused electronics). I do have a couple of 3116 boards already, and some wall-warts to be sacrificed for those, but I think that your board warrants a step-up w.r.t. power supply.

Thanks again for doing this,
Ron

Lol, I had the same feeling Paugie! I think it took a week for it to arrive in Norway. China takes 3 weeks for comparison.
I had to connect my DAC's negative power input ground together with the amplifiers psu power out ground together. I had massive noise without it. Other than that its just plug'n play :)

Last edited:
What are you using for a DMM?

Each input pin has a 30.1k resistor to ground, an ESD protector to ground, and a 1.5uF capacitor that feeds into a ferrite bead, and from there into the TPA. At DC, the ESD protector should be open circuit, the 1.5uF should be open circuit after voltages settle, and the only thing you should measure is the R.

I doubt the 1.5uF cap is blown (it's 50V or 63V rated, can't remember), the ESD protector trips at 36V, and the resistor will probably burn up around 50V.

My suspicion is blown TPA. If you connected the source negative to +24V, that would dump +24V into the audio inputs of the TPA. Absolute max rating on those pins is +6.3V.

Power up the amp... Grab your meter, hold negative on ground and measure both sides of FB1 through FB4. Both sides should measure the same voltage, and should measure somewhere around 3V. If you get anything other than 3V on the side of a FBx part facing the TPA, you've probably got a blown TPA.