The Weather

Maybe. But our reproductive cycle (relatively long), combined with the number of generations during which natural selection must work (10s of 1000s or more) is quite likely too long for that adaptation to work. Climate change seems to be a freight train barreling down on our intersection REALLY fast. Time will tell.

Human evolution is still happening – possibly faster than ever
"By looking at global studies of our DNA, we can see evidence that natural selection has recently made changes and continues to do so. Though modern healthcare frees us from many causes of death, in countries without access to good healthcare, populations are continuing to evolve. Survivors of infectious disease outbreaks drive natural selection by giving their genetic resistance to offspring. Our DNA shows evidence for recent selection for resistance of killer diseases like Lassa fever and malaria. Selection in response to malaria is still ongoing in regions where the disease remains common.

Humans are also adapting to their environment. Mutations allowing humans to live at high altitudes have become more common in populations in Tibet, Ethiopia, and the Andes. The spread of genetic mutations in Tibet is possibly the fastest evolutionary change in humans, occurring over the last 3,000 years. This rapid surge in frequency of a mutated gene that increases blood oxygen content gives locals a survival advantage in higher altitudes, resulting in more surviving children.
"

Joined 2011
Paid Member
After a very oddly cool and rainy spring and early summer, it appears that we are finally going to get some more normal weather.

I absolutely love it!

Attachments

• forecast.png
    forecast.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 133
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Being closer to the coast, I am guessing that temperature comes with high humidity? I can't handle that kind of heat. My mental health suffers dearly.

Our climate here is more like the Omak, WA area (if you are familiar with it). I guess Wenatchee is about the same.

Last edited:
Yeah, on some areas near the coast or VI, the humidex can add SEVERAL degrees to the official temp.
Warmest temp I can recall was in Osooyos - running around the 40C Mark this week, but like the entire OK region it’s a dry heat (35% RH), which I find more tolerable than the 65% of Bermuda, or 60% of Maui.

My little Philips weather station Amazon.com: Philips AJ260 Weather Station Clock Radio (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Home Audio & Theater tells me it's 29º outside, 26º inside with 51% RH at noon. This may be our hottest day this year. I hope so, more than this and Cal begins to melt. The hottest we ever had in Metro Vancouver area was 37.5º. That was July 29, 2009. The following day was supposed to be hotter but was a degree cooler. (not according to the official report which said it was .5º warmer)
Temperature taken on the north side of the house on the south bank of the Fraser river about halfway down so it was undoubtedly hotter up the hill.

Attachments

• IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 110
We’ve got one of those cute little La Crosse weather stations with an outside wireless sensor located in a shady stairwell, and the base unit on kitchen sink window ledge, so the inside RH is a bit askew (62% seems a bit high). Right now 23 inside, 26C in the shade and a good 5 - 8C warmer on our south facing sun deck. Almost G&T weather, doncha think - it’s always 17:00hours and the second Saturday in June somewhere.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Okay it peaked here late afternoon as usual. Didn't quite hit the predicted 38C but we are several hundred meters higher than downtown/airport. I have no doubt it hit 38 or 39 down there. 19% RH - so 36 "feels like" "25 in Toronto". That's my opinion, anyway.

Remote sensor is on the back (north) side of the house hanging under the eave.

We open the windows all night and let the indoor temperature drop to 18 or 20 or whatever it gets to and then we close everything up tight and close all the blinds in the morning. If we didn't do that, the indoor temperature would be damn close to the outdoor.

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Since my previous post we've had about 3 days where we got a little warm about 20-22c, mostly it's been 8-16c but there was one morning we had 4c.
I would phrase it like: This summer is a bit "extra Norwegian".
Meaning we get even more rain and a little bit cooler temperatures than we normally expect.

June was very good though, took my oldest daughter gokarting for the first time, in my hometown Ålesund. It was 31c! When I got out of the gokart it looked like I'd been in a water fight :D I'm fairly certain that has never happened before, the absolute highest I've experienced in Ålesund has been a bit over 27c.

Magnus, not to worry, Vancouver has summer from July 15 to August 30. Beyond that it's open season on the weather. Not saying we don't get rain during that time, just saying that's our best chance of a spell of good weather.

EDIT: looks like you're going to have a very nice weekend. Highs of 24º and broken cloud. Get out and have fun my friend.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 2.48.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 2.48.40 PM.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 48