The Weather

UK has had severe snow storms in the last 24 hours, blowing across from east to west.

I am looking out at my garden covered with 15cm of dry powdery snow (blew about a lot!) covered with a layer of frozen rain. Birds skating on the bird bath and neighbours' dog puzzled at why he can't stand up! Now more snow flurries.

We are not geared up to deal with this (I haven't seen any similar weather for 10 years or so) and the country has ground to a halt. Schools, shops, railways and airports all stopped.

Got 4 inches of the white stuff here in NE Ohio.....should have dropped serious snow, but we've got rain instead...

It rained all day yesterday making the local flooding along the Ohio River worse. It was supposed to rain last night and this morning, but we've got snow instead.

I awoke this morning to a fine mist of snow which has been melting on ground contact here in the low ground between two ridges. Outside temp is currently 34 F. Cars and trucks coming down from the ridges are snow covered. It must be colder up there (400 to 800 feet higher than here).

Radar shows an almost continuous column of snow from Cleveland to here.

Schools are closed, but that's because of the strike, not the snow.

Weather guy on WOR-710 said that NJ/NY hasn't had a Nor'Easter like this since March of 1962. Also heard that a United Jet landing at Dulles experienced such severe turbulence that all the passengers threw up!

511PA is a neat ap -- it can talk to you like GoogleMaps so you can re-route on the fly:

Attachments

• 511PA.png
    511PA.png
    428.7 KB · Views: 92

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...NJ/NY hasn't had a Nor'Easter like this since March of 1962....

I remember that one vividly. 1956 Plymouth barely peeking out of the snowdrift. 1960 Rambler Wagon, just the roof-rack.

This one seems to be sitting just off our coast. High winds and a couple high tides may flood the causeway; but 100 feet up and a mile back I'm not worried. More worrisome is tree-snapping winds over the next few hours. If I go dark, you'll know why. I can get the lights back, but last big storm it took 2 days here and 9 days elsewhere for all the utilities to get most-everybody reconnected.

Google maps flashed an alert that I-80 was closed somewhere after mile marker 277. When I hopped back on 20 miles west of the Delaware Water Gap they were digging semi's out of the snow with bulldozers and back-end loaders.

It seems that the storm backed up westward and dropped between 1 and 3 feet of snow from the Poconos and Catskills into central NY.

The weather chart on the news here showed one giant white area where the UK plus Ireland is supposed to be, with the edge on the continental side above the channel.
Can't recall ever have seen a similar image, truly a Beast from the East.

And, as is often the case here, it all changed very rapidly: The (warm, wet) Atlantic front won over the arctic incursion and all the snow has gone!

PRR:
Grua has more stable weather because it is more inland, located about 40-45 minutes drive from Oslo (sans traffic), Oslo has a milder climate but there's often a sour draft there when it's cold.

Cal:
You lucky person you!
I bet your piles are smaller too, eh? I might have been envious.

I helped my 7 year old make a proper skid slope with a pretty good jump yesterday, can maybe get 4 meters if you go all in on some skis. I tried going down to the bare ground and measuring, on that slope there really is 140cm of snow.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...on that slope there really is 140cm of snow.

I have not had snow on the roof in weeks. Snow-ice in the back yard is 98% broken and gone. Even the meter-high snow-slide off the plastic roof on the chicken shed is nearly melted.

Do not worry. I expect boot-high snow this week and more after that. Got my leaky snow-blower repaired, I hope.

Also see a tree which will blow down as this high gusty wind continues (better than the nor'easter they got south of us). Each gust, a side-root lifts clear of the ground. But it is the neighbor's tree, and won't come down near my driveway or power line, and not really in the road.

Also see a tree which will blow down as this high gusty wind continues (better than the nor'easter they got south of us). Each gust, a side-root lifts clear of the ground. But it is the neighbor's tree, and won't come down near my driveway or power line, and not really in the road.

In Puerto Rico, half the folks who died in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria perished from contact with downed wires.

PERPA did virtually no routine maintenance of their rights-of-way, and the Commonwealth had received nearly $1bn for "emergency preparedness" from FEMA -- but they built housing instead.