The Weather

I only got a large pile of not quite destructive hail enough to make the yard white.
Go about 5-10 miles to the southwest and you got real damage. I am getting used to seeing cars with blue tape on them from a recent glass replacement. Also a mall in Golden has been closed for maybe two weeks.

I just heard about the mall. One of my brothers out there said he thinks it may be closed for 6 months! Doesn't sound right, but that's what he heard. Must have been an awful storm to be in. One woman was able to get under an underpass but no such luck for my brother.

It has been quite chilly in the north central US the past week or so this year. Highs in the 50's (~12C) and not quite freezing at night. Roughly 3-4 inches (8-10cm) of rain. Feels like April.

Can you imagine the noise being inside a car being peppered with 5cm balls of ice falling out of the sky at terminal velocity?

I remember once ~40 years ago seeing the aftermath of a ~9cm diameter hail event on my uncle's farm in SW MN. Corn plants were stripped almost bare It was a really good year otherwise, but his yield was only <1/5 of an average year.

Attachments

• may weather.PNG
    may weather.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Warm (25C) and unusually dry in Bermuda - actually almost bordering on worrisomely so for the past several months- particularly with America's Cup starting in less than a week. Just finished a 16K hike along the Railway Trail, then had lunch at the Frog and Onion at Dockyard. Not hard to tell the diners from the cruise ships exploring the local gustatory delights and 64oz Margaritas - for lunch.

Scary indeed. 3 of the stones broke my brother's windshield. We had a huge hail storm in Savannah GA when I lived there in 92-94. From what I heard just about every car on dealership lots was damaged. There was a roving band of hail repair people that moved in for 6 months repairing all the cars. Then they moved on. It was pretty crazy.

64oz margaritas???

Not retired yet, but stretching my employer's patience while enjoying Susan's - post surgery - 2016 was not her favourite of years, and I guess we're making up for that in the first half of this one.

Those of us blessed with such a spouse are aware that every day with them is a little piece of paradise, regardless of the immediate geography - but, yeah, Maui or Bermuda when they're not sinking not or humid, or stupidly busy with tourists can be a lot of fun.
Just remember that when you see the subsequent credit card statements

Glad you're able to enjoy the cards you were dealt and extra glad that Susan has come through it all as she has. You'll have to give her a big Cal sized hug for me, even if that means having to do it twice. :)
Speaking of 25º, guess what's happening here? Yup, you guessed it. The airport is showing a mere 19º but here we just hit 25º and it's only quarter past 1. Hottest day of the year I think. You might have left just at the wrong time but after suffering through the coldest and wettest 6 months I can remember, you probably needed it. Mind you, where you live it's showing a lousy 16º so maybe it was just the ticket. Speaking of tickets, did you hear Jimmy Buffett is coming to town after a mere 24 year absence? I'll be searching for that lost shaker of salt come October I'll tell ya. :D
Anyway, enjoy the 64 oz. Margarita and think of us while you're dipping your toes in the warm, and oh so blue waters of Bermuda.

I hate you.

Aha, the sunny and warmer days are here! :D

And in the meantime, I have added a list of project to my, er.. list of projects.

Like continuing to build my Modular synth, building a Filter bank so that I can also build a monster Hybrid synth. I've done a little test with 3 voices of digital oscs going into 3 VCFs + VCAs, and so far, so good.

This morning though, I had the idea of making a bank of CV outputs, so I'll need to find some good op amps for the tasks of: attenuation + inversion for each Output.

What do you recon? TL072 is enough? Is there something better nowadays for not as expensive as the OPA2134 that I could buy?

TL072 is enough? Is there something better nowadays for not as expensive as the OPA2134

A lot of new module designs are still using the TL072. Most of the MFOS designs use a LF442 for the CV summing amp in the VCO. I recently built a quad MIDI 2 CV Eurorack module from Hexinverter.net It uses CA3140's for the CV buffers, but it uses 12 bit DACs.

A few years back I decided on the TLE2062CP for my CV designs, but now I do not remember the exact reasons for that choice. Considering the cost in building a big modular synth, the knobs will cost more than the opamps. I would look at specs like input offset and thermal drift before I would consider cost. SMD VS through hole is another issue. Some of these chips are not available in both packages.

building a Filter bank so that I can also build a monster Hybrid synth.

If done properly, all triangle, saw, pulse... waves should sound identical. The sound comes from the filter. I have an all digital synth working. The filter does its job, but lacks the warm fatness of a Moog ladder, so I am working on a vacuum tube ladder. It's hard to find vacuum tubes that work well within the constraints of the Eurorack format. Size, power consumption and heat output are all biggies in that design.

A lot of new module designs are still using the TL072. Most of the MFOS designs use a LF442 for the CV summing amp in the VCO. I recently built a quad MIDI 2 CV Eurorack module from Hexinverter.net It uses CA3140's for the CV buffers, but it uses 12 bit DACs.

A few years back I decided on the TLE2062CP for my CV designs, but now I do not remember the exact reasons for that choice. Considering the cost in building a big modular synth, the knobs will cost more than the opamps. I would look at specs like input offset and thermal drift before I would consider cost. SMD VS through hole is another issue. Some of these chips are not available in both packages.

If done properly, all triangle, saw, pulse... waves should sound identical. The sound comes from the filter. I have an all digital synth working. The filter does its job, but lacks the warm fatness of a Moog ladder, so I am working on a vacuum tube ladder. It's hard to find vacuum tubes that work well within the constraints of the Eurorack format. Size, power consumption and heat output are all biggies in that design.

Perhaps this belongs in a thread of it's own. Have you considered pencil tubes or nuvistors? Let me know if you want to try some.