The Very Best Amplifier I Have Ever Heard!!!!

I am ready. I still need the files from Alex (well, the final ones), and Alex, that won't be a problem right? . If we go for double side pcb for the main board then the daughter board will have to be made by another order.

Your can send email to tony_chan_cf@email.com, stating your forum ID, email address (which I will not post on the status report) and quantity (in pair). I will post the status report every day.

Before an order for over 100 boards is placed.
A single board should be etched and tested with a cro to be sure there is not any issues with pcb layout.

I clone things , but always incorporate just enough change to "make it mine".

.......i think too there is no need to build an exact copy and perhaps violate somebody's sphere...........
.......the pcb is diy-made,
.......some transistors will be changed (input-fets,perhaps the bd249/250,outputstage,...),different values for the electrolytics,.......and so on.
greets

I do not think the intellectual rites to a product extend on in to forever. The particular schematic this thread was started with is a much older out of production amplifier.
And of course those individuals that do choose to profit from others work always seem to get it wrong in the end. How many of the so called audiophile amp clones on Ebay are actually exact. They always cut corners out of greed or lack of knowledge.
I do not think anyone objected to the Krell clone some years back. And in fact Nelson Pass actually gave us breadcrumbs along the path to create his current flagship -- the ax100.
I had emailed Dr. Leach at Georgia Tech before proceeding with Jens version of his amp and he was PROUD.
Should we worry about Goldmund???

Tad

There is something called Intellectual Property and it has a monetary value and belongs to someone, even mistakes such as the up-side down transistor is contained in the IP. Taking someone's property without consent, I call theft.

In the long run everything does end up in the public domain, but still remains that persons property, it is only courteous to get consent.

I'm pretty sure copyright laws don't apply to people not trying to profit from cloning. The only time you'll get into trouble is if you copy something and then try and pass it off as your own and sell it for profit. As long as it's for personal use I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that can be done about it. And chances of you getting ahold of someone at goldmund that could give you consent are slim anyways.

Hello
Guys now someone please tel me which is the correct layout or schematic .
I made a test PC board after the last version but I read Nagy comment on it.
The diodes are reversed and T6 is not right connected ???..:rolleyes:
Can someone please inform me , I do not want to each a bad test board.:snail:
These is the last layout posted by Alex at post 549. I switched the color so I can see it better .....
Thank you
Greetings

Attachments

• gold M szines 1.GIF
    gold M szines 1.GIF
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,425
  • Vegso rajz Goldmund.JPG
    Vegso rajz Goldmund.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 1,465
Last edited:
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I do not think the intellectual rites to a product extend on in to forever. The particular schematic this thread was started with is a much older out of production amplifier.
And of course those individuals that do choose to profit from others work always seem to get it wrong in the end. How many of the so called audiophile amp clones on Ebay are actually exact. They always cut corners out of greed or lack of knowledge.
I do not think anyone objected to the Krell clone some years back. And in fact Nelson Pass actually gave us breadcrumbs along the path to create his current flagship -- the ax100.
I had emailed Dr. Leach at Georgia Tech before proceeding with Jens version of his amp and he was PROUD.
Should we worry about Goldmund???

Tad

I support yr opinion

Hello
It is very time consuming , I used the paint program for the black & white ...
You can take the black and white save it , open with paint program and these is it , you can do what ever you like!
There are a few mistake at these schematic T6 is no good how is it now..Also the last schematic has some mistake!
Nagy wrote about those after the layout and the schematic was posted.
I try to fix it now.
Greetings

Actually IP law does allow the owner to prevent you from doing your own DIY kit. ie - they can sue you for a license fee if they are feeling particularly protective or have the materials that you build using their IP confiscated.

Similarly, it's the owner's right to sue you for damages should you release their IP to the public; it's why nearly every document out there includes the language "Reproduction in whole, or in part, is prohibited without written consent"

Also, there is a party here that could derive some financial gain from this information being on the site; diyaudio itself.

If Goldmund were to find this thread and they disapproved of it's content (for instance, if they saw that people were saying that their amp design was 'common and hardly worthy of the outrageous price tag', they could [quite justifiably] demand that diyaudio delete the thread and go after the people that made use of the information contained here (not that it's likely as it would be cost prohibitive).

If they did that, the onus would be on the defendant to prove that the amplifier designs were built upon on 'prior art' [that was already in the public domain].

They don't even need to have a registered copyright on the schematic; just a copyright on the documentation that produces it. Laws prohibiting technological reverse-engineering protect them from someone just tracing the PCBs and generating a schematic that way.

Copyright/IP law applies to you whether you support it or not. :)

just for the joy of it i went through both the swiss and the us patent offices trying to find any patent issued to or assigned to goldmund. i cant find anything. could mean that they put their patents into a holding company outside of switzerland and have the mother company pay licensing fees for usage of the patents, which is a very popular way to avoid paying taxes in europe. the irish has made plenty of money since they tax intellectual property at ten percent when done this way which allows for companies to dodge the regular corporate tax rates which can hit thirty percent or so. but i digress.

in none of the product literature is patent protection asserted, i can only see one thing mentioned and its unrelated to amplifier design. i did not check for trademarks since i sincerely doubt this can be argued as infringing on a trademark given that its design in the spirit of a coldmund but isnt an exact replica since it differs in implementation (for instance the circuit board is a different layout, components are different).

i generally like to read patents since they are interesting and gemerally provide an important hint about where the value sits in an innovation, especially the first claim. i can only find a single patent belonging to goldmund and i find no references in literature suggesting they assert patent protection for this circuit, id suggest that this is an harmless endevour. but it must be said, we have to ensure that folks remember, this is not a clone for a goldmund (it is not an identical copy), it differs in layout and components altough the circuit is the same. that makes this a design in the spirit of goldmund but it can not be mistaken for being an actual goldmund by someone looking at it.

i also made sure i havent messed up my search skill so i verified i could get the patents filed by mr nelson pass as well as the patents assigned to pass labs (yes i found them easily).

i sincerely doubt there is anything patented by goldmund in that topology.

If anyone coud patent that topology it would be Hitachi but in this case I believe HP or Textronix might have got there first, for use in o'scope input stages.

If anything' it is a matter of copyright not patents and since the layout, materials and parts are no quite the same....................you be the judge. ;)

Jam

There is nothing original about this circuit, there are quite a few other companies that use it.
Goldmund did not publish the topology.
Hitachi published the circuit as well as others like JLH.
I am quite sure Hitachi and JLH (RIP) are happy for us to use their circuit.

For starters I think most of us will be using toshiba devices at the input so there is a difference already.
I will be doing away with that output coil if I can, as well as trying a few other things.

Hello
I believe these is a important mistake!
At T6 Emitter should be connected with Base after Nagy schematic..
Also you do not need that 33K resistor , I did put a mark there..
Where is the red line have to be cut .
Bigpanda I made many PC board , I design after the color lay out , or I had just the schematic.
No program at all. I don't know how to use programs . I made them in the paint program!
It goes very slow:snail:
Please take a look my black & white layout and you decide..
Greetings:)

Attachments

• Corrected.JPG
    Corrected.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,357
  • gold M color coded 1.GIF
    gold M color coded 1.GIF
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,271
Last edited: