The umpteenth large format coaxial driver thread

I'm not sure if this is true of all their drivers, but at least regarding the spike I have with the 12C's, it goes away off-axis. From what I've heard, on it's 15 inch counterpart the spike is too large not to cause audible effects. A properly sized inductor will help. But remember, this is what I've heard, albeit from a knowledgeable instance.

This goes a little off-topic here, but wonder which drivers these things use:

Reaction Audio CX-15t
CX-15T High Efficiency Loudspeaker – Reaction Audio

Not bad price if they sound decent. Fit and finish don't look like their up to modern standards, but guess you have to give up something for that price.

I'd actually welcome this kind of products on the European market. We're bathed in these 2,5-way svelte floorstanders from several manufacturers, and while they might look the part, they generally sound equally boring and uninvolving. Balanced, maybe, but uninvolving nevertheless.

Small drivers and softdome treble units... A sure path to boredom and endless pursuit for the lost excitement in music in cables and other overpriced tweaks. An effort in vain.

It seems those Reaction Audio things use Radian drivers. Surprisingly expensive driver for the retail price.

And yeah, I already have the 15FCX76 on order. Can't wait to get my filthy hands on them. I was surprised though about how hard it was to get these. Usually this "give money, receive stuff"-affair goes at least a slight bit easier. This time it was e-mail, wait, e-mail, wait, and so forth.

So, finally this morning the mailman ringed the doorbell, and brought in the new cardboard box for our cat. It had a couple of these round things in it that I had to remove.

It'll be until next week though, before I can get these round thingies into proto cabinets and start measuring, but gladly the cat already confirmed that the box she ordered is satisfactory.

Attachments

• BC drivers.JPG
    BC drivers.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 671
  • catbox.JPG
    catbox.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 661
Ok, we have some initial measurements. Can't post any graphs right now (still stuck at work), but they look very, very promising, even with a quick'n'dirty crossover with just a handful of components. Easily within 5dB between 200Hz and 18kHz with just a narrow peak at 15kHz.

If all goes well, we'll have the first prototype pair running on tuesday so we can sit and have a listen.

Even with 20% VAT in the UK that B&C driver costs less here than the only US price I found.

My meaning was more general than that: I hope it doesn't cost too much to figure out if this will work-out as actually desired. (..basically a comparatively large expenditure for a "roll of the dice".) ..and I consider paying any "tax/duty" as an addition "obnoxious" (regardless of the net result).

The driver he imported isn't standard in the US - in the US it should be around $380 including the rather large distributor mark-up (..in part owing to the fairly costly shipping costs for the transatlantic journey). The more expensive "neo" version is around $460. Of course the rather low (no VAT) Czech source was a particularly good deal - so it's probably still lower (including VAT and shipping) than a reasonable US price would be for the driver. :eek:

Last edited:
I actually got this pair from a Dutch dealer. I understood that the Czech dealer didn't export to Finland. So it was a little more expensive, a bit over 700€ with shipping.

And yes, even if this was a somewhat educated roll of the dice, still it was a risk. For now it seems like it was well worth it, judging by the response, but the proof of the pudding is in the listening, ultimately.

Am I excited? Obviously.

Well, it's still a lot cheaper option than for example the 18sound 15NCX750, which here in Finland from a local dealer costs 560€ a piece. And at least the initial measurements look a lot better for the B&C! The 18sound had a wide trough centered around a kilohertz or so, 5 or 6dB deep. The B&C unit on the other hand looks maybe even smoother through the upper midrange and crossover region than my current BMS 12" affair.

And another thing. These things are quite handsom indeed. Kind of sad that the beautifully built chassis will end up inside a box and out of sight. Build quality seems at least on par with BMS.

High hopes I have...

Interesting option for us in Europe. Generally speaking, with first prototypes being tested by you, Adolf. I myself my try one pair in the next couple of months (stucked with 2 or 3 construction projects @moment).
A second pair in a OB, humhum. To take best advantage of the chassis, humhum good idea?!:cool: