The ultimate integrated frugalphile gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really hate having two of this forums most prominent members have misunderstandings so I have tried to see what caused it in an effort to resolve it.

carlosfm
You had stated that a passive stage must have high output impedence which will cause a high frequency roll off and that is generally correct but Peter stated that his output impedence was a very low 6 ohms because of the new DAC which enabled him to take advantage of the passive configuration with the S&B part.

Peter Daniel
You had stated that you were able to drive the passive line stage without any sacrifice in immediacy, air and presentation but since we were (and still are) looking for a single ended source solution, carlosfm may have missed the fact that you were using a balanced source. I don't know if we can make a best bang for buck audio solution in this thread with balanced sources but that is the point of this thread: To discuss how to get closest to the sound spending the least amount of money. The 102 is an expensive part so it would have to make a really tremendous improvement to warrant its use given the aim of this thread.

BTW, I am not immune to misunderstanding my fellow member posts so if I have misinterpreted either of you please tell me if my analysis was not accurate and correct me accordingly. I understand that both of you were acting in good faith in guiding this thread but please be more attentive to the text of the posts and the intent of the thread before being critical of each other in the future.

yldouright said:
carlosfm
You had stated that a passive stage must have high output impedence which will cause a high frequency roll off and that is generally correct but Peter stated that his output impedence was a very low 6 ohms because of the new DAC which enabled him to take advantage of the passive configuration with the S&B part.

It's not a question of "must have", it's in fact unavoidable.
The marked treble roll-off is unavoidable with a non-oversampling dac, you must compensate for that on the output stage.
Sorry, I don't want to discuss the obvious anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.