The truth about fiber fill and why you need it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could the fiber density or material change Something ?

For instance : metal fiber instead glass, or wool instead glass fiber, or foam fiber instead hard foam... ? I mean they have certainly not the same way to convert/absorb the heat ?
Or is it simply the total surface of the fiber to air ? Density of the material ?

Regarding the effects on maintaining air temperature (for increase in compliance, to have effects on low frequency behaviour), the idea is to have as much air as possible in contact with the fibres. I doubt the nature of the fibre is of much importance, but density will matter to some degree.

In terms of converting air disturbance into heat, it's pretty obvious that you need to have fibres which will interact with air flow, such that they vibrate against neighbouring fibres, and with a high degree of friction. So, stiffness, fibre diameter and roughness will matter. Empirical evidence seems to point to long-fibre wool and fibreglass.

You are talking about average temperature and pressure. I am talking about the adiabatic properties of a gas, in this case, air. For each half cycle, the air in the rear chamber will be made to expand, and compressed in the other half cycle. When compressed, the temperature will rise; when expanded, the temperature will drop.

That was covered that in the development of the capacitance. It is associated with the value of k. Stuffing tends to make the compression/expansion process isothermal driving k towards 1.0. The absence of stuffing tends to driver it towards adiabatic and reversible, k = gamma. In reality, you can never achieve either.

Now, if you want to consider that capacitance changes as the pressure in the box changes then that will introduce nonlinearity. It will have little effect on the box alignment but may introduce distortion for larger excursions. But generally less distortion that the driver itself.

John.K,
Your interventions on this subject are just perfect! Like many I knew that it virtually increased the volume but for the first time, I clearly understand the logic. Thank you for that !
All that remains is to talk about the damping of sound waves in relation to the density of the materials and their thickness !? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.