• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The sound of different EL34´s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ray_moth said:
Benelli,

What is your problem?

I see this as an unnecessarily rude response to an honest opinion, over which the poster Camusmouse took some effort. Please adjust your attitude.

I´ve just asked this site to remove me, as member here. Too much "political correctness" here. Sorry.

Thanks to all of you, who contributed with constructive hints!

Thank you all!

Son why don'y you just unruffle your feathers sit back and cool yourself off. I do believe you will learn a wealth of information here. When you post just try not to **** off everyone that has come to your aid trying to give you the benefit of their experiences. I can see why you might have taken offense when your JBL's were called into question but let it pass. You will usually get a number of responses of which some you will like and agree with and other you won't.

burnedfingers said:
Son why don'y you just unruffle your feathers sit back and cool yourself off. I do believe you will learn a wealth of information here. When you post just try not to **** off everyone that has come to your aid trying to give you the benefit of their experiences. I can see why you might have taken offense when your JBL's were called into question but let it pass. You will usually get a number of responses of which some you will like and agree with and other you won't.

But, it´s the same all over. "Wise guys" allways derailing the path of information. And the considerations on behalf of these "wise guys" is always way beyond the consideration of constructive comments.
Life is too short for such crap!

I'm sorry that you are upset. It is unfortunate that life makes us put up with the BS part of the time. You cannot just walk away when you don't get the answer you feel you should. Hell, half the time I post anymore people do not answer me and I haven't left yet.

Set back and observe and remember to take the good with the bad. Think before you answer a post. Sometimes people take a response in a totally different way in which it was meant. Sometimes you have to deal with someone that is just trying to trip your trigger. Just step back and learn to deal with it and don't give up.

burnedfingers said:
I'm sorry that you are upset. It is unfortunate that life makes us put up with the BS part of the time. You cannot just walk away when you don't get the answer you feel you should. Hell, half the time I post anymore people do not answer me and I haven't left yet.

Set back and observe and remember to take the good with the bad. Think before you answer a post. Sometimes people take a response in a totally different way in which it was meant. Sometimes you have to deal with someone that is just trying to trip your trigger. Just step back and learn to deal with it and don't give up.

Guess you´re right, man.
A really "wise guy" here!
Fantastic!

"Wise" guys....

Well if you think we are all so "wise".......then why do you continue to question nearly everyone's answers/suggestions? Calling me wise......I consider that a compliment. "Wise guys derailing the the path of information".....so you would prefer "misinformation from unwise people"??? Or is it just whatever information YOU think you already knew.......or are you just being so cleverly sarcastic......it just so hard to tell.....oh please, stop torturing us with that rapier wit.

.....and I thought *I* had issues.....

If my comments about your JBL's is really what set you off....then I'm really sorry.....but you do realize that I was AGREEING with you right???
Given the "wrong" amp, these speakers´ treble really sounds annoying, BUT giving them tube amplification, WOW!
hmm....not the wrong TUBE.......but the wrong AMP altogether.......sooooo......just switching out a DIFFERENT BRAND TUBE in the wrong amp wouldnt make your JBLs "WOW"??? I think you answered your own initial question.......how funny....or more appropriately how absurd.

If ANYONE here considered what I said/say to be BS.........

I am really, truly sorry......

I PROMISE.....you wont hear a peep from this "Mouse" again.....

BUT "hears" a secret for you Benny, if you really want to know what tube sounds the best........hold it right up to you ear, really close, and hit it as hard as you can with a BFH.......you, and apparently several others will LOVE the results......oh dont forget your safety glasses.........SAFETY FAST!!!!

Burnedfingers is right though.......but I just couldnt pass this one up.......cest la vie.........human nature I suppose.

'Wickedness may prosper for awhile, but in the long run, he that sets all the knaves at work will pay them."

L'Estrange - Albert Camus

Life is indeed too short for people like you Benilli....

I've wasted enough time here.....

Well if I dont get banned, which i probably should....i WILL continue to "contribute", but not in this thread.....life really is too short.....

Plus, most of my contributions are questions, and they usually go unanswered anyway......with a few exceptions......thank you "mod moth".......

besides.......all the fun stuff i want to do take money.....and in that arena I am most definitely lacking.........

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will this ever stop? Each time someone wants to play a little with his sound colors by changing the odd tube brand or capacitor or cable, someone comes along preaching down heavy that it is not efficient.
Well it isn't the most efficient way, but not all people are designers. Let em be. Its an expensive way, its a delicate balance, its running in circles even, but its accessible, thus popular. People are not mad, just not that handy. You are not a chef? There is always salt and pepper. Thats all.

A note on the topic...

Er, ah what is the topic? I got lost, but had a few laughs along the way reading through this dreadful thread. Anyway, back to EL34's...and to tube rolling in general. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of us are wrong about the impact of tube rolling in our gear? At least according to the comment(s) that got this ball of hot tar & feathers rolling along...
I have a lot of experience with the subject of rolling, far less with circuit modification, some with upgrading. Swapping a few parts can be done by most anyone wielding an iron and knowing how to distinguish one component from another. This is in IMHO the faster more extreme way to tweek the sound. And yes, without much in the way of real change to the circuit, neither tube rolling or upgrading make huge improvements to a particular circuit. It will sound different; that is sometimes what we may comprehend as "better."
As far as EL34's go, believe me, in SOME circuits make a pretty discernible difference in sound. I've been fortunate enough to have had just about all of the most highly regarded EL34's pass through my hands; you name it and I've had it. I love my simple & clean Dyna 70, tricked out to sound like no other 70 ever, severe circuit mods to the point that it really isn't a 70 anymore. Of all of the EL34's I have loved, and believe me I have loved them all...I'd trade those God-Forsaken overpriced Mullard Xf1's or Tele's or Bugle Boys or any of them for some good 'ol 60's vintage Tesla's. The ones with the brown bases and the dual stacked halo getters. The most well rounded of the bunch. Secondly, the Sylvania FAT bottle; try and kill a set of those in your HiFi amplifier and it's going to take you a few years. Best for FATTENING up weak bass response.
I think this may be my first post here...I use to hang around all the time. But I tire real easily of intolerance and these audio forums are full of that...people with only one opinion that EVER matters becuase they know EVERYTHING...

Those guys must be worried with the prices, that's why they dont want the rest of us to roll tubes...

I find completely ridiculous someone in the other thread about tube rolling, he is against it, saying it doesn't make any difference, then he says that he doesn't roll his Sylvania black plates, poor guy...

It is also ridiculous that I was binned, I was always polite, even after I was personally insulted several times...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.