The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Q5 2sk170?

I don't have the schematic in front of me and you didn't post it. So I don't know if it's Q5. But that behaves the way you described earlier. Also, make sure you have a passive load for testing, a resistor, or no load, and that your current limit is very low, so that you make sure the circuit works first. Take it easy first, small steps.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thks, I loaded with the 150R 10W, now I have 42.7V after reg., that's OK?

Leds always not shining.

No, its an overload. Make it 1K.

They will not shine if you will not find what you have wrongly connected and/or burned around the CCS. Tomorrow follow the schematic carefully in comparison, and also check orientation of components one by one. Have a nice rest.

Use a 10R 10W R input to your main filter cap. Will go down some Volt if the CCS operates.
Is your Ref a 4k7 resistor in line with a 4k7 to 5k trimmer as designated?
Is the Leds CCS correct for connections? Its a bit tricky there. The CCT you make works nicely fore some months now in symmetric for a D1 DAC BTW, made by CRT. So it will work in the end for you too, don't worry.

Salas

Is this your dac
I run also pcm63 dac with d1 output stage
at photo seems that you are feeding b1 with dac out signal
but that way we have two buffers ?
what are current right values for Vref bypass cap and out cap of the shunt

Joined 2009
Paid Member
His CCS is off it shows. Merlin see around proper connections and pins Q6,7 and LEDs orientation one by one.

Salas, verified LEDs orientation because I changed for a new set, verified Q6, 7 pins orientation changing for two BC546B news.

Result: LEDs don't shine, voltage after reg. is now 42.7V.

Can I replace Q5 2SK170BL for a new one as suggested Iko?

Hai

I don't know about, how this Shunt WoRK :p
I just use my Eagle, follow Salas Instruction, and TADA! its Works FLAWLESS.

Can you compare your layout with Mine

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Its quite easy for me to set the Vout, just a little sliding Vout after Warmed up.

I had try to Decrease to 10ohm/5Watt.
OH NO! to much heat for my Environment with ambient temperature around 33 deg Celcius.:(

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I will put the 22ohm back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Almost finish my Lastest Layout (D-1 with Salas Shunt Reg in one board).
PCB is Ready for now.:D

Have a NICE SLEEP for YOU :)

Regards
La Ode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.