The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Basic question coming up - I sat down to measure my 2SK170GR's IDSS to get the high ones for use in this reg - As my Fluke 16 DMM max current is 200uA I used the technique of: short the gate to the source and add a 9V battery from the drain to the source & I put a 100 ohm resistor between the drain and the battery and measure across it so 0.1V=1mA, I think. So far, so good but something is amiss - when I measure about 50 of these GRs I get a range from 0.29V to 1.61V which would make them in the IDSS current range of 2.9mA to 16mA. This couldn't be, could it? - the GR range is 2.6mA to 6.5mA

Edit: 9V battery was down at 8.6V but i don't think this matters, does it?

Edit: Just double checking - looking at the SK170 from the bottom - pin 1 (drain) is on the left, correct?

I haven't yet seen even a BL with 16mA Idss, let alone a GR. Yes, the pins are DGS, looking from the bottom, face up. Battery positive on D, battery negative on GS together.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Do you not have a cheapo DMM to use the ampmeter directly? It's always good to have a few cheapos around, not for accuracy, but to be there. I got a few from fleabay including one for $9.99 that give me hfe, capacitance, etc. Sometimes all you need to know is that you're in the right ball park.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, it says on all of them
K170
GR9L

And there are about 9 of the 50 above 10mA - I've remeasured some of them & they check out a second time - I'll try again just to be sure, to be sure

Edit: did the re-measure & same results

Then it goes to the factory culling and batch stamping. You got em from a trusted source? I personally never found a 16mA GR. Up to 6mA I have seen the odd one.

P.S. Mine were always Toshiba only.

I got them from Futerlec.com I dug out my cheapo DMM which gives me different ranges - still pretty much the same - the DUT that measured 1.55V (15.5mA) gives me 17.42mA on the DMM - the low DUT that gave me 0.28V gives me 3.16mA on DMM. This seems to confirm the measurements, now how do I check these parts are kosher? I don't want to build a Vreg around them for them to fail !!

Edit: Aha, Thanh1973 a cross post - you hit the nail on the head - and were they good working parts - just mis-labeled? If so then hey ho these only cost me $0.18 each & a mix of grades is good! I'll sort them into ranges next & see what I have so others might benefit from a purchase through them if you don't mind spending the time measuring (5mins)

Edit: Breakdown as follows:
12 GR grade
18 BL Grade
10 V Grade

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm, is there any way I can test them? - it's a hassle getting a refund & the cost of postage will eat it up. Selling them on ebay! - where's your ethics, man :D

If they do the same thd, gain, and noise in a given circuit VS trusted ones that fall in to stamped range, they can be OK, just a cheap offer they got for an accidentally mixed batch then, maybe. Since you idss labeled them, if you get some matches they can be usuable. Say if I had them, I would substitute a similar idss one in my phono's second stage which has no loop feedback, and I would compare FFTs and gain. If with different gm and noise, the floor would go up, thd too, and gain would missmatch a lot.

Yep, I'll do that as well, Iko & compare to my battery PS that I'm trying to knock down the noise on over at the other thread :)

Anybody want to try out the 16mA ones I have in the batch or Salas do you want me to send you some to do what you say? What IDSS?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Watch the quality of zener. Many bad ones pop up lately. Especially those with plastic case that look like diodes. I use big cap across them, and I get into the trouble of using a resistor in its place if I can see noise on the oscope on the reg's output. Which is a pitta since I have to tune it with the under Vgs resulting idss of the jfet tail Vref ccs. And 9 out of ten, no its not a standard value.

Watch the quality of zener. Many bad ones pop up lately. Especially those with plastic case that look like diodes. I use big cap across them, and I get into the trouble of using a resistor in its place if I can see noise on the oscope on the reg's output. Which is a pitta since I have to tune it with the under Vgs resulting idss of the jfet tail Vref ccs. And 9 out of ten, no its not a standard value.

Am I right in thinking that LEDs + diode can be substituted for the zeners? This seems to be more flexible, less noise & less hassle, if true!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.