The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
stormsonic said:
@Salas

why using P-FETs for positive, and N-FETs for negative, since N-FETs are more linear?
LINK

Look also at

THIS

Had no issues for DC. The 9240 has actually more transconductance than the 240 at low frequencies in your first link. You will need P&N symmetric as the cct is. The initial regulator was made for positive given the best choices from my inventory. I use a shunt N-FET in my high voltage one for example, just because they are much more available at 500V. You can adjust the topology as you wish. I don't expect any real performance differences in practice, given the use of N-FETs or other suitable part numbers, as long as their gm is comparable to the original choices.

@nicoch46

if you are reffering to rectyfying diodes, why not use HEXFREDs HFA08PB60 for example)? Look at datasheet for junction capacitance at desired voltage (aproxx. 18pF for 45V) and then calculate correct snubber across diodes for some sonic improvement.
Or any other soft recovery diodes. Soft recovery is more important than fast or ultrafast.

Schottkys (example MBR 1035, 1045,..1060)are only good for low voltages as Salas suggested. And where low voltage drop is required.

Hi stormsonic

the stealth are soft recovery ,stealth recovery:D:D and yes the HFA08PB60 are very good but cost 3x rispect the stealth 4A and I use 16 diode....
the hfa04pb60 was the candidate at the same price but in the and I order the same stealth2 that I have in my phono becouse this upgraded the same byv27-200, I know ....and prefear digikey that have to-92 heatsink too

Hi Salas,

My B1 with a simplified LDR volume control sounds fine with v1...just annoying with the background hum especially when I turn on my subs. With all the filter caps C1, C2, etc on B1 removed as suggested the sound became even clearer.

My gut feel is that the hum is due to a ground loop. I will try to do regrounding to see if I can get rid of the hum.

half OT

as this general info can usefull...
S*.de I don't feel too much ,my trafo is their top ,potted plus shield ,but very bad regulation and some problem on service..(paypal help) and after same time I recived an email that I have not paid !!!!crazy
the ebay shop work fine...

thanks for other link
best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.