The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Set it after 15 mins warm up. The Jfets and Mosfets have some temperature coefficient, I don't think you got a particular problem in your build unless its set to unusually hot temp regarding its sinking. You could put a minisink on the Vref CCS JFET, or use a Zener reference instead of a resistor/trimmer (Norton Vref). There is provision on the see text PCB area. If get go precision and no warm up slide are paramount in some application. The Zener should match the amount of voltage seen on the resistive part only. For the one going lower short one of its two Vref Leds first and test again.

Hi Salas,

Thanks for the reply. Ok, the 5V BiB supply is off my worry list, the one that creeps up. After 20 mins or so it stabilized to my set voltage, so that's that.

It's the other one that still worries me (the 5.2V). After climbing up to the set voltage it decreases .001V every second (unlike the 5V supply whose change occurred every 5s or so, and slowed down after a while). It's come down to 4.5V from 5.2V, with no signs of stopping before I shut it down.

About the heatsink, the one for Q101 is oversized, while the one for Q106 is slightly undersized (24 deg/W as opposed to the 20.03 deg/W recommended by the calc), but I'm thinking that's still within the safety margin. I do have better sinks on the way.

Any other suggestions? I have access to an o-scope if that can help (though I really haven't had a chance to learn how to use it yet)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Short one Led in the declining one as I wrote. From the two in the Vref area. See what happens, let me know. Maybe you chanced on some sample parts tempco combination that slides negative. The other one you made gains a bit with warm up so its a local thing.

Just tried it out ... First time turning it on, there's a measure of ramp up, after which it starts its decline.

Relatively quick turn on / off, no more ramp up, just a decline in voltage.

There was a time or too where the voltage seemed to stabilize after dropping quite a bit, after which I tried using the trimmer to set it as high as I could. Voltage would continue dropping again after that though, dropping past the voltage point which had previously seemed stable.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If it will not come to terms, use 2 red leds, 1 diode and one small resistor to construct the 5.2V. Diode in reverse orientation to the printed Zener symbol. There is 0.6V Vbe residual there, so you build from 0.6V up.

P.S. If its not an oscillation making it unstable, bcs the other one build doing different things is weird, the above Vref being mostly active should do it.

Chalk this one down to a noobish mistake.

After switching to an active Vref configuration, voltage was still sliding. It was at this point that I did a visual comparison between the wonky supply and the one that stabilized.

Turns out I had the polarities reversed on both the Vref cap and C107. Unsoldered the offending caps, resoldered them minding the correct polarity, and voila! Stable Vout on load resistor.

Hooking up both supplies, there is still a gradual voltage drop, but it's now in the rate of .001V after every minute or so. Could this just be a case of undersized trafo? Have a single 30VA toroid powering both supplies.

Active vref config : one red LED, one green LED, one 2.7V diode reversed to give maybe 1V? All other items jumpered. Came around to 5.23V initially, currently sitting at 5.18V after more than an hour of playing.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Glad you found the cause, it was simply too weird to happen in one build only.
It has to have some mini slide as the LEDs and the BJT come to temperature. Being a negative one is good for not burning something digital if voltage spec is on edge. Just fix it for when hot. Does it fall below the useful low ever?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.