The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of something like this. 1S1588 is hard to source but can be replaced with 1N4148?

Attachments

• Reflector-5V.png
    Reflector-5V.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 624
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I recommend that you investigate whether adding an electrolytic across Q5 Collector/Emitter works to reject interference

I have simulated and practically tested that option during the prototyping. It bootstraps in the low band creating unevenness in the impedance shape, gives some notch also that needs high ESR added with a resistor to fill out, but it does not improve PSRR above 1MHz due to ESL, ESR. Sounded a bit muffled subjectively.

Hi Salas,

Have just finished making 2 BiBs for a DAC board, was very impressed by its performance. Now I want to try out the Reflektor, about to buy parts.

For the 2n4403 transistors, can I replace it with hn3a51F? It's a dual transistor, so it's factory matched out of the gate ( wanted to avoid having to hand match parts ), and I read somewhere that it has lower noise spec than 2sa970.

Hmm ... maybe I'm getting ahead of myself with the Reflektor, looks like I have a problem with the BiB.

I have two BiB supplies... one of them continuously creeps .01V after every 5 seconds or so. Doesn't show any signs of stopping even after 5 minutes. The other one continuously loses voltage after initial ramp up; after achieving the set voltage it decreases bit by bit. At start it reaches 5.2V or so (my target voltage), after a while it gets down to 4.9V. I shut it down after that as the target board has a 4.8V minimum requirement.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Additional details:
Both BiB supplies use BJT pass transistors. Gate stoppers for CCS MOSFET and BJT are both takman carbon resistors. Currently have a 330uF 50V Silmic II as Vref cap. Instead of output Zobel I have a 47uF Panasonic Pureism cap.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.