The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry the information is for SSLV1.1 BiB shunt regulator. Could you post or link your schematic?

For BiB the manual said: "A fully resistive choice can have smoother and lower noise spectrum to
filter and lends for C102,202,302 MKT. 4.7uF-10uF. 10uF filters better. Electrolytic 220uF is
even more efficient a filter for sensitive digital and MC phono stages"

Last edited:
Hi all, still new to this forum, and have had a quick look at thread - but certainly haven't had time to read all of it. But looking at the circuit way back in Post #8 - looks elegant, but my question is - will it be able to supply 5.25 volts for my Buffalo 3 DAC? Seems to me that if Vgs on the IRG9240 (M2) is around 3.5 volts (which I expect - but I could be wrong) then there's only 1.75 volts left for Q2 - will Vce of 1.75V be enough for effective operation of Q2? Also, how hard is it to get a precise 5.25V output - this circuit doesn't appear to be adjustable.

Also, I noticed that the original purpose of this circuit was a p-s for an RIAA stage - hmmm. Here is the schematic for my RIAA power supply. Now that is what I call simplistic! Does anyone really think that the simple shunt regulator sounds better than a battery?

Attachments

• riaa power supply.JPG
    riaa power supply.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 620
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all, still new to this forum, and have had a quick look at thread - but certainly haven't had time to read all of it. But looking at the circuit way back in Post #8 - looks elegant, but my question is - will it be able to supply 5.25 volts for my Buffalo 3 DAC? Seems to me that if Vgs on the IRG9240 (M2) is around 3.5 volts (which I expect - but I could be wrong) then there's only 1.75 volts left for Q2 - will Vce of 1.75V be enough for effective operation of Q2? Also, how hard is it to get a precise 5.25V output - this circuit doesn't appear to be adjustable.

Also, I noticed that the original purpose of this circuit was a p-s for an RIAA stage - hmmm. Here is the schematic for my RIAA power supply. Now that is what I call simplistic! Does anyone really think that the simple shunt regulator sounds better than a battery?

Margins are enough. Maybe you talk J2, because Q2 sees Vgs across it. J2 is low pinch off and its OK. See the SSLV1.1 (Bib) instructions. Shows application and adjustment for a range of needs. And its evolved in quality. I preferred it from a battery in the phono originally.

Attachments

• DSCF1343.JPG
    DSCF1343.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 611
Joined 2009
Paid Member
BiB the manual said: "A fully resistive choice can have smoother and lower noise spectrum to filter and lends for C102,202,302 MKT. 4.7uF-10uF. 10uF filters better. Electrolytic 220uF is
even more efficient a filter for sensitive digital and MC phono stages"

What would be a reason to put a lytic in c103?

Margins are enough. Maybe you talk J2, because Q2 sees Vgs across it. J2 is low pinch off and its OK. See the SSLV1.1 (Bib) instructions. Shows application and adjustment for a range of needs. And its evolved in quality. I preferred it from a battery in the phono originally.
Salas thanks for reply but now I am confused. I looks to me that J2 will actually see Vgs of IRF9240 M2. The source of J2 connects to gate of M2, and the drain of J2 connects to the source of M2 - doesn't it? Looks to me that Q2 is connected between the drain and the gate of M2.

Sorry to bother you because I'm sure that there is a link somewhere in the thread, can you please direct me to SSLV instructions?

Thanks, Paul

Yes the opposite, I looked at it hastily. I have some using NMOS the other way around for HV and confused it. Still its working fine down to 5V mark, many made 5V MOS examples, and there is a BJT output version described for there about and lower. Look at V1.1 builds thread it has instructions in post one.
Thanks for the update Salas. have downloaded instructions and will read them on the train home. Regards, Paul

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am gathering info to build a raw dc psu for my latest SSLV1 and need some clarification.

I want to use a 24V 80VA Tx to feed a 14Vout shunt.

I will use a RC filter after rectification.

Using the SSLV1.1 spreadsheet (Fred's) for 24V Tx with 65ohm resistor and 200mA CCS I get 21Vdc (enough headroom for the 14Vout shunt).

But when I input the same values into PSU Designer II, I get only ~~ 10Vout from the RC filter.

I know there is something wrong with my PSUDesigner simulation but what ?
And if the simulation is ok, than I do not know how to interpret the readings... some clarification is needed.... so as usual I hope someone cares to leave a coment.

Attachments

• SSLV1.PNG
    SSLV1.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 577
  • PSU II.PNG
    PSU II.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 574
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.