The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Each new version is better than older version, for V1.0 & V1.2R don't need scope, for V1.2 scope is needed

V1.0 and V1.2R are easier to make stable without a scope, but ''not needed'' can't be an absolute statement in a possibly needing layout. You all must get a scope and learn how to basically use it! You are doing DIY after all! And now older excellent scopes are very cheap second hand. 20MHz is more than enough for audio.

Well i spent the last weekend reading through most of this thread...what a great read...

As alot of you know i like Salas shunts very much, and use V1.0 in my preamp, on my Dcb1, Optivol and even on a fan :)
I have also nearly completed my Dac project which uses the salas V1.0 shunts on the +5v, -5v, -15v and another +5v for additional digital stuff, plus a HV Salas Shunt on the tube output!!!

I have recently bought a Squeezebox Touch, and was thinking i would like to power it with a Salas shunt. I read that V1.0 is best for high current demands, and since the touch requires 5v 3amp, my idea is to remove the +5v shunt(dvb-projekt pcb board) that is used on my Optivol and modify these to use with the squeezebox touch...would this just be a case of changing the ccs resistor for higher current and then add coax for sense wires? and of course change rectifier diodes for high current versions. or would other modifications be needed?

This would then mean i would be able to P2P a V1.2r for use with the Optivol. Knowing how good V1.0 sounds and thats without remote sensing!!! V1.2r must be amazing :)
Would someone kindly post a schematic for a 5v 1.2r version for use with optivol.

Thanks

Alon

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can just use 12V input to the V1.2R and turn the trimmer down to 5V output. Use first schematic from the left in post #3200.
Better use K170 Q8 in that when targeting 5V. Will work nicer when so low.

I don't think that Oliver boards are wired for remote sensing. You can up the current in those of course by the methods you mentioned.

WOW...thanks for the quick reply Salas.

No Oliver's board is not wired for remote sensing...but i thought that i could just add some coax and connect to the components at base of board. But i wasnt sure if it was just a case of adding the sense wire at a certain point on board...or if other components needed to be added or values changed?

With regards v1.2r for optivol...thanks for the link :) im very interested in hearing this new version.

Alon

Ok thanks Salas.

Yes i will be putting the 5v 3a shunt in a hammond alluminium box, so the mosfets will be tied to the chassis floor. I will probably start at 2amps...because i read somewhere that the squeezebox touch doesnt actually draw 3amps it only there incase you add a harddrive through its usb connection...and i remember reading somewhere that one user measured that he could only make the touch draw 600ma max. So maybe 2amps will be enough.

Alon

Hi Alon

You must be living in a very difficult weather place... needing a Salas shunt for a fan :)

What is a Squeezebox Touch ?

Hi RCruz,

I dont live in a difficult weather area...its just that one day as i had a spare shunt, i thought i would try it on the fan in my dcb1/optivol preamp...i was shocked when i heard the sound with the Salas shunt on the fan...a massive improvement...Salas suggested that it caused better isolation from the transformer...and so got rid of previous gremlins being passed through.

A squeezebox touch is a network music player, that i will use as a digital source for my dac. Here is a link to information about it.

Squeezebox? Touch

Alon

Last edited:
Its what digital is best for. ACCESS.;)

I know Salas...one of these days im gonna have to build myself a phono...and get a vinyl player :) Then i will have all 3 sources.

Thus far the best sound from a sytem i ever heard had a vinyl player as source.

But i have a feeling that with your shunts powering my dac and squeezebox touch as source...the gap between the two is going to get alot smaller.

At least thats what im hoping :) I might have to update all shunts to V1.2r mind you ;)

Alon

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Vinyl is something you can hand over to your son tomorrow. It has its item appeal, its real, has pictures, you got to take care of it, makes your :hbeat:. Even when the true resolution files will be abundant and digital will be master quality shot through matrix with a brain fire nod interface for your pleasure, you could always spin a black weird slab to max sophistication pose in 2025.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.