The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ah, there is a successful V1.1 test also I forgot to tell you about. CRT tested it on his new DAC with Pass I/V from latest article.

Attachments

• P1040499 copy.jpg
    P1040499 copy.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 704
  • P1040504 copy.jpg
    P1040504 copy.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 688
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@Salas

How do I calc the appropriate voltage out? Currently v-in = 32v

Ken

You would not need drop more than 10V across the reg for it to work stably. It will work for less even, but 10 is a good number. Vout will be current through the Jfet's drain resistor times its Ohmic value +0.6V.

P.S. FQA28N15 gfs=20S typical at 16.5A! Does not have a gfs-id curve on its datasheet to see what gives in your working region, but if its analogous along the curve, its 3 times stronger than 9240. That, and Crss only 50pF its possible it drops the simulated output impedance of the reg 3 times also and is wider bandwidth as well.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To have symmetric Zo as a reg the shunt Mosfets should have the same gfs. There is capacitive difference between sexes always. Would cut on gatestopper value to create the same frequency, if there were oscillations. But I haven't used such Mosfets. You say is steady. Is it DC line on AC scope setting? Can I see a scope screen?

I know the schematic says FQP12P20, but, I used a FQA9p25... data sheet for the device shows Vgs of 5.75 at 200ma. If I'm reading the data sheet for the FQA9P25 correctly, the Id at 9 volts of Vds is only 100ma compared to 3A for the 9240.

Given the variables of different Mosfets, is there a way to measure the impedance of the shunt?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.