• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Return Of Blackburn Mullards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I look good I see that they use components of picture tube guns to build this tube.
I recognize the cathode and a grid of the picture tube gun where they build the anode with.
On the detail of the foto above I saw also grit number 1.
It's the same grit1 used in a picture tube.
They just copied a collor picture tube gun. They just rotated G2 of the gun and made an anode of it.

If you read through their site, (The 'mother-site' Not the 'Tube-Site') where it describes testing of Cathode-assemblies, these are done in 'Dummy' tubes--Even shows a few racks of them in little red sockets....

I'll bet these are exactly what they are 'passing off' as ECC83!

The grid in a CRT gun is just a plate with a hole in....

The anode in their 'dummy-tubes' I'll bet is just a plate mounted at a specific distance--Just like you see in that 'new ECC83'/e813CC or whatever they are calling it...

I'llneed convincing they work as well as a 'conventional' tube they intend it to replace;)

If I get time later, I have a small 6" colour CRT round here somewhere...

I'll rig it up in place of a 6SL7 in a breadboard amp Ive got kicking round,--(one half anyway...), using the CRT A1 as the plate....

Could be interesting!

When I look good I see that they use components of picture tube guns to build this tube. I recognize the cathode and a grid of the picture tube gun where they build the anode with. On the detail of the foto above I saw also grit number 1. It's the same grit1 used in a picture tube. They just copied a collor picture tube gun. They just rotated G2 of the gun and made an anode of it.
What does that mean? I mean in terms of them bringing out an audio tube? Will it be any good? Or is there no way of determining that?

Re: Re: Re: I thought this is old news?

Trout said:

My Entries,
#1 Mallard
#2 Mulligan
#3 Blackburn
#4 Mulder (fox)
#5 Mistake (if the suck)
Well they're all better than "TechTube"! What an ugly name...

Has anyone noticed that the photographed valve only has 8 pins? I've got a couple of mates at the hifi show right now, checking the stall out for me.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: I thought this is old news?

Merlinb said:

Well they're all better than "TechTube"! What an ugly name...

Has anyone noticed that the photographed valve only has 8 pins? I've got a couple of mates at the hifi show right now, checking the stall out for me.

Optical illusion - one of the pins is completely shrouded by the one in front of it, (from the camera perspective) but look at the internal connections and you can almost see it. (There are hints of another pin in front of what appears to be the first pin on the right.)

Has anyone noticed that the photographed valve only has 8 pins?

There are 9 pins. The 9th is exactly behind the last pin visible on the right, so it is invisible in the photo. It does cast a visible shadow on the surface that the tube is sitting on.

these are planar triodes so they are quite different in internal constructional details from the run of the mill 12AX7A.

If anyone has an RCA tube manual, there is a diagram of a CRT construction. The "grid" is just a piece of metal with a small hole in it. I have verified this by taking apart a crt.

The diagram is on page 11 in RC-30 and RC-25 and page 10 in RC-22.

Will this work well for audio? We won't know until one is connected up and playing music. Will it drop in to a 12AX7 socket? Maybe some, but probably not all.

grid ...

Originally #52 posted by tubelab.com
Will this work well for audio? We won't know until one is connected up and playing music. Will it drop in to a 12AX7 socket? Maybe some, but probably not all.

Hello, have a look at the ECLL800.
link
The triode section
has no mash grid, too. It uses the grid holders only.
This is still different from a crt electron gun but ...

Kind regards,
Darius

about 55.00us + shipping, not aweful

Thank you for your kind words.
You will be pleased to know that over the coming months we will be launching
all the valves you mention below, EL34, EL84, KT66 and KT88 are on our 2008
/ 09 roadmap. As a guide the E813CC will be launched with a price of £30
per valve (discounts for larger volumes) with purchase direct from the
factory from the web site at the end of October.
In addition there will be the launch of a TechTube forum and further news
articles. Keep watching the site for more changes.
Once again thank you for your support.
With kind regards,
Andy Blades
Sales and Marketing Manager.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Trout said:

I think I can find better places to spend my limited hobby funds, I paid less than that recently for a well worn, but good single plate 2A3.. I still have something like 50 NOS 1950s vintage JAN 5751 sitting in my stash so I'll just use those instead. I've also got dozens of new and used 12AX7A so I can't see paying mega $$ for these..

Unfortunately that's probably a total non-starter in the MI industry as well, even at 10% of that price it would not get picked up by most industry majors.

This will have to be a boutique hifi tube at those prices. Too bad..

Depends. If it sounds better than the 380 USD http://store.tubedepot.com/bsct-12ax7-mullard.html
one. Then it would be interesting for those who spend that kind of money.

I have yet to build anything with the 12ax7. And for that I've earmarked the near 12ax7's namely the 6N2P-EV reputed to sound good and they cost 2USD per tube. (Going to be the Baby Huey)

This will have to be a boutique hifi tube at those prices
For sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.