• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Return Of Blackburn Mullards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Trout said:

Lets hope that the initial startup phase is short and sweet.

Wouldn't bet on that... If you want some I'd advise getting them directly from them and pretty quickly. Their long term success is not really assured in any sense, and wait until we see the actual prices - I'd bet something in the range of unaffordium at least initially.. :devilr:

I'm not too sure that these are necessarily going to be drop ins in all applications - while the lower Miller capacitance is attractive it may also create stability problems in some existing amplifier designs using significant amounts of negative feedback and questionable phase compensation.

I just remember a number of other supposedly promising start ups that didn't pan out. Sorry to be a pessimist..

Yes, I tend to agree with (the other) Kevin on this...

Right now I'm living in Germany and can easily visit some friends in the UK so getting them (once available) should be pretty easy (post works also). Testing them is a different story as all of my audio toys, test equipment, etc. is in the US.

I'm hoping sooner than later for some availability... I travel back to the US every 2 months so could shuttle some back for testing, listening, etc. Here's to hoping they work well.

Regards, KM

Just had this reply:

"We are certainly “the spirit of Mullard” as most of us have been on site from the Mullard days. Yes the site is still in operation, wasn’t doing valves but is again now. They are not the same technology but the ethos remains.

Our plans currently have EL34 and EL84 in the roadmap for early 2009. Customer feedback of required types like yours is much appreciated as we don’t want to make all the variants; it’s not viable in the UK.

Samples of the E813CC & E812CC will be available for purchase when we launch the sales part of the web site. Our expected sales launch will be October. Pricing, ordering, shipment costs and other such things will be on the WEB site as we are not going through dealers or distribution in the initial start up phase.

For further information, the WEB site will have a news section and forum starting soon so please keep an eye on things and give us your feed back."

All sounds v. promising - AND a new EL34 to look forward to in 2009 from Blackburn - the future's bright... the future's thermionic Lol!

- John

I thought this is old news?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/NewTubes.html
If you select the mullard tab it says:

Mullard is back ! The North American majority owner of the Reflektor tube factory in Russia has announced that it has acquired
the rights to the Mullard trademark.

Does this mean the name and not the technology rights were bought?
Will the real Mullards not be able to be sold as Mullards?

Re: I thought this is old news?

Luke said:

New Sensor (owner of Reflektor factory) owns the Mullard name, so it seems that these will be called something else. But in terms of technology, the Russian tube is probably much closer to the original. The ones here are taking advantage of some modern tricks, so they could be more "interesting" even though they are quite different. It will be fun to see how they work in practice :cool:

I read the spec sheet...some interesting choices of words...
"driving voltage" versus "heater voltage"
they sure look neat, and I'm among those hoping they'll be inexpensive enough to purhcase one to try out!
Does anyone have a better picture where the anode leads are more discernible? I'm also having trouble figuring out what the heater is doing.
Is the metal "case" at anode or cathode potential (assuming that it's cathode)?
Nice to see an internal shield, but not sure what it would connect to...one, but not both of the cathodes?
Given the internal capacitance, I wonder if these need grid stoppers where the older tubes didn't...It's kind of interesting that the design permits much, much higher frequency operation...are audiophiles really the target market here? I can't wait to build an all-tube WiFi booster...one or two watts goes a long way :)

Re: Re: I thought this is old news?

jon_010101 said:

New Sensor (owner of Reflektor factory) owns the Mullard name, so it seems that these will be called something else. But in terms of technology, the Russian tube is probably much closer to the original. The ones here are taking advantage of some modern tricks, so they could be more "interesting" even though they are quite different. It will be fun to see how they work in practice :cool:

Since they will not be labeled as re-issues and someone else produces tubes labeled under the original Mullard logo/name.

They should hold a name that tube contest and give a matched quad to the winner. :D

My Entries,
#1 Mallard
#2 Mulligan
#3 Blackburn
#4 Mulder (fox)
#5 Mistake (if the suck)

I think they already have a name in mind........

In September 2008 Blackburn Microtech Solutions launches the TechTube brand of valves

They also say, in very small print, "Blackburn Legacy Series".

Andy

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,005
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: I thought this is old news?

Luke said:
If you select the mullard tab it says:

Mullard is back ! The North American majority owner of the Reflektor tube factory in Russia has announced that it has acquired
the rights to the Mullard trademark.

Neither are real "Mullards" in the sense that original Mullard tooling or materials are used. (Or in any other sense that makes sense to me.. :devilr: ) New Sensor owns the rights to the Mullard name in North America, but apparently not in the EU and possibly elsewhere, in fact last time I checked they won't sell these tubes to anyone in the EU. (I am still a New Sensor dealer, although I don't sell many tubes.)

Blackburn is not making a tube that bears any resemblance to the original Mullard, and indeed Blackburn is not Mullard. They will be sold under the TechTubes label as far as I know.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Luke said:
It seems a little untidy. Creating a brand to compete with your own world leading brand name does not seem ideal to me.
I like the idea of manufacturing in UK, quality is obviously a priority.
Any way I wish them luck and hope they do well.

Blackburn isn't competing against Mullard, there is no tube/valve making entity doing business in the U.K. under that name. New Sensor has licensed the Mullard name and perhaps design for use in some of its Expo-Pul (one time Reflektor) products. Blackburn is based in the old Mullard plant and its operation is billed as the lineal descendant of the old Mullard operation. Blackburn is not in any way related to the current owners of the Mullard license. (The license seems to apply everywhere except in the EU, not sure why that would be.)

The new "Mullard" and Blackburn in fact are competitors.

I hope they succeed regardless.

some patents:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2006056749

and their main site:

http://www.lpdcathodes.co.uk/

I saw that they apparently have a cathode material which *does not* degrade even after 20,000 hours use in CRTs. Under products I believe. Very interesting and I look forward to an EL84! Another interesting note about the new cathode materials is the increased A/cm2 rating, which means that tubes made with these cathodes would be able to (hopefully) carry more current than previous similar tubes.

E813CC (ECC83 equivalent)

The E813CC has the same performance as the world renowned ECC83. Unlike the ECC83 however the variability in performance between two valves is reduced from an industry standard ±20% down to ±10%. Obvious benefits in application set-up are obtained by this new performance.

This tube, it is not like E88CC, 6922, 6DJ8 etc. duo triodes.

Like E83CC, I think this tube is where we need more gain (higher Mu).
For example Phono RIAA and microphone amplifiers
and pre amplifiers with some higher voltage gains.

Am I right, so far?

"electron guns"

Originally #6 posted by tubelab.com
Question, what do you do with a CRT production line now that the computer and TV display world has gone flat (literally)? Answer, you find a creative outlet for your "electron guns".

The average cathode current in a 25 inch color TV is about 1/2 mA per cathode.
The "guns" shown here look tiny by TV standards.

Hm, do I need a 9-pin adapter? ;)

Attachments

• 2008_0915bild_crt_restorer.jpg
    2008_0915bild_crt_restorer.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 837
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.