• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

I recently used the red light treatment for a couple of headphone amps using cheapo dual dissimilar triodes originally intended for vertical oscillator/amplifier service. I did a parafeed amp using strings of parallel GaAsP LEDs for output stage, and a basic 2-stage SE amp using GaP green LEDs for bias on the output stage. Both sound nice, and will be appearing at this year's Burning Amp.

i used the irfbc20 mosfets with zener strings to regulate g2...

Attachments

• IMG_6244.JPG
    IMG_6244.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 444
  • aIMG_6240.JPG
    aIMG_6240.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 428
  • aIMG_6242.JPG
    aIMG_6242.JPG
    544.4 KB · Views: 430
  • aIMG_6252.JPG
    aIMG_6252.JPG
    506.1 KB · Views: 426
  • aIMG_6247 (2).JPG
    aIMG_6247 (2).JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 428
Just using the setup suggested by SY in the DIYMAG article, plate load resistor is 220R/3W. Adjust the plate voltage until you reach 80mA.

Some measurements -- this is one array -- the dynamic impedance @1kHz and 100mA is 2.7 ohms, so two arrays will get you in the 11V ballpark at 5.4 ohms. The single red led should read 10mA, not 50mA

Have you tried Cree diodes instead of LEDs?

I have a couple of questions... I'm on page 39 reading the thread and it's already pretty overwhelming.
Is there any way of keeping the benefits from the diode bias, but without the LEDs? I'm not worried about the cost of the LED, but It's going to be awfully bright, and all those LED are going to take up a fair amount of space. And having to construct a separate PCB just for this purpose...
Let's just say it would be awesome if there was a way to shrink this down to size and loose the landing lights. I'm afraid the control tower over at the neighboring airport would complain. ;)

And secondly, I'm curious if people have managed to get everything modeled properly in Spice? I'm trying to get a sim running but I'm only getting 6W or something from the speaker terminals. My guess, is I'm missing something essential... Lol.
I am a complete no0b after all, hoping to begin building my first tube amp soon.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Keep the LED internal in the chassis. Less light. Also, having the LED has a nice side effect as they get much brighter during clipping.

When one considers that the whole point of the project IS the LED bias, it makes sense to just go with it, get everything operating properly, then try to find a substitute that works as well. :)

Post your .asc file so we can have a look at what you've done.

I’ll start my own thread when I know enough to ask the right questions, and I’ll be sure to post it then. I realized that having the wrong diode model was giving me problems... My project is relying heavily on RLD for inspiration, but it’ll be quite a bastard. I always end up mixing and matching for some reason, lol. It wouldn’t be right to pollute this thread with detailed talk about it. ;) The idea is basically going as simple as possible...

Hi
I just want to say that I still use my 'RLD' to play music every week. And it works really well. Seems like a reliable amp. I like the concept. and it can play
loud.
Just wanted to give creds to SY for a good amplifier design.
I'm not sure how long i've had it, It's more than years:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I still talk to SY, so I will let him know you are still enjoying it. It's been over a decade since he designed it. I remember working on one in his lab when I was down in SF for Burning Amp #1.

It really is a nifty little amplifier. You have to love all those red LEDs!

-Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I had been planning a RLD and I still may but what I have done is to RLD-ize an Eico ST40 by adding led arrays and screen regulation. The state of the eico was such that I can’t make a reasonable comparison but I am pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• C8F59FF4-03BF-4CC5-B919-2CDA692D4E2A.jpg
    C8F59FF4-03BF-4CC5-B919-2CDA692D4E2A.jpg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 4EFCC4DA-FF4D-4D77-9862-C15BBEF95B0C.jpg
    4EFCC4DA-FF4D-4D77-9862-C15BBEF95B0C.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 0E25F6AE-D2BF-4A30-A7A0-95694BC6C48E.jpg
    0E25F6AE-D2BF-4A30-A7A0-95694BC6C48E.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I really enjoy this RLD amp. It performs well. I sometimes like to play loud. And
this amp can.
I just fell for this approach, the way Stuart desgn this amp. Atleast for me it
was a new way to use penthode's.
I don't claim to have `Golden Ears´ I'm an old man. But I know when it sounds good.

Rolf.