• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

i too was unaware that it was the same write up.

ive decided to go ahead no go with the edcor iron. a couple folks recomended it. so thats settled. :D

my next concern is hook up wire. last year on my spud amp i used DH labs 14 AWG silver-plated stranded copper. that thickness was a pain to use when i had to connect multiple wires to one spot. i can get it local so thats a major reason id like to use it again. but id like to go w 18 AWG so it wont be such a pita! :mad: i still have some 14 awg on hand that i can use strategically. does that sound like a good idea???

also the hook up for the signal input. i used DH labs BL-1 interconnect cable in my last amp build because i have it on hand. not sure if that was a good idea to use it in the amp... but i like the way it sounds. im not opposed to trying it in the RLD. what is normally used?

peace
phil

I used thin (24-26?) solid core for most of my builds, tightly twisted for heaters. Large gauge (10 AWG) solid for the ground buses. Thin coax for the feedback. 18 gauge for the power supply. Nothing fancy, mostly mechanical considerations. I hate using thick wire where the currents are low, it's a pain to work with.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
In copper? No, you don't need a particularly hot iron, but some descent technique will help things go more easily - make sure you have a clean tip, then add just a bit of fresh solder to the tip, place of the work, add just a bit more solder to get more surface area hot, and by that time, Robert should in fact be your mother's brother, and it will all heat up nicely, and quickly.

As usual, when you can melt new solder on the biggest part, it's all hot enough.

I went to Audio Show in Warsaw yesterday. After couple of hours I left with a thought of improving bass response in my RDL amp. Not beacuse Dan Dagostino's and Wilson Audio sounded good. They didn't. That is why.
Took a drill, made two holes and mountede another two caps in PSU (those two grey cylinders at the front). HV CLC filter was 220uF + 10H / 51 ohm + 220uF + 800uF + 800uF. Turned on. No smoke. Silence in LSs. And there came bass. Juicy. Controlled. More detailed. Well I like it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hi guys.

i was just reading about the coupling caps for the phase splitter. do they have to be rated to handle a certain voltage?

also i was reading about the grid stoppers. i understand that they should be placed on the grid pin for the ECC81's. should they also be placed on the grid pins for the EL84's?

im getting closer to building this thing! :D got about 1/2 the parts on the way. and am ready to order the rest soon. just trying not to forget any thing.

peace
phil

hi guys.

i have the HLMP-6000 LED's for my rld and was curious. do we always use seven strings of six led's for the array? or does it change depending on which led's we use?

also i have a bunch of irc gs-3 resistors for most of the build. but not 4R7's. so does it really matter what resistors we use on the ends of the led strings?

i was looking at these. RS02B4R700FE70 Vishay/Dale | Mouser

and these. W214R70JALF IRC | Mouser

phil