The quest for 20hz open baffle bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How to get well stuffed....!!

You don't have to tell me about addictive! Have you messed with stuffing the baffle at all or is that not necessary? At this point I feel like I gotta give some 15's a try and still think the Prv's look like an easy way to get started. Who knows, I may end up liking a FLH better but the simplicity and goodness of what I've experienced so far makes this hard to pass up.

Hi Dave,

I used some stuffing with a 10 inch Volt driver and it did allow me to move the speakers much closer to the back wall without any downside, so yes I think its worth it.
I put the stuffing (eco friendly loft insulation) inside cotton bags and then glued them in place and covered it all up using 10mm thick speaker grill foam.
In my experience, a good open baffle will outperform any front loaded horn for two reasons.
(1) The front horn will resonate and colour the sound.
(2) In most front loaded horn designs the driver is enclosed in a small sealed box....back to square one!

Hope this helps and all the best
Derek

PS, What is a Kazba?

Attachments

• finale 23 jan 08 003.jpg
    finale 23 jan 08 003.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 469
  • May 2008 034.jpg
    May 2008 034.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 448
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.