The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Hi Rjm,

I am enjoying the music from a phonoclone 3 I built with your help.
Essentially for easthetic reasons I am going to put the pcbs, already separated from the case trasnsformer, in a new chassis.

Can you tell or address me to a post where it is described how to minimise the noise level. At present I do not hear any noise from the listening position, but there is some noise with the ear near the speaker. To me it is not a trafo hum, but rather a very low rf noise.

Thank you

Renato

Not trying to take over here but I have built many phono stages and as long as the noise is a lot lower than the stylus running through an empty groove then what does it matter?

I had some "hash" as I call it if I put my ear to the speakers on one and spent time getting rid of it with filter caps, when I did it diminished the sound quality. So I removed them and have been listening happily ever since.:)

The output noise of the phonoclone (working perfectly, ideal datasheet specification) is going to be significantly higher then the input noise of your preamp. Therefore, it will be "audible" to some extent.

All you need to worry about is you don't get any extra noise from poor layout or construction.

Some hints here.

If you've built it properly once, you are unlikely to do a worse job second time around.

G'day all, I've just built a quick breadboarded version of the VSPS using point to point wiring on a piece of copper clad circuit board material and I'm rather impressed with the sonic result.

One quick question about the circuit. With the VSPS, there is no 'series' capacitor in the inverting op amp input as is universally used in phono preamp designs of this full feedback active RIAA EQ type.

I've been led to believe that this capacitor is essentially mandatory to prevent overload and asymmetrical clipping in phono preamp applications, yet the VSPS does not include it. As the VSPS sounds so good, is that capacitor really necessary at all? Regards, Felix aka fap.

Last edited:

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
That series capacitor reduces the gain at subsonic frequencies. [a rumble filter if you will] It prevents overload only in the case where there is significant subsonic signal energy. The capacitor itself is usually a 10uF or 100uF electrolytic, and is effectively in the signal path.

Removing it improves the sound, as you might expect. It's not needed just as a rumble filter is not needed in 99.9% of cases: the whole point of owning a high end TT is you can rely on it to spin the record without injecting a ton of infrasonic garbage into the signal.

Dear Richard,

I have received the 2 ordered kits during this week and have assembled both of them taking to the time to match the resistors as close as I could using the resistors of both batches.

I plan on installing one VSPS in an integrated amp. How woud you suggest to do the ground connection of the TT ?

Directly to the amp chassis or rather on an isolated "ground" plug connected to the common ground of the VSPS ?

Cheers,

Max

P.S.: I guess I should put the VSPS in a box inside the amp case to minimize noise issues ?

Last edited:

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
How woud you suggest to do the ground connection of the TT ? Directly to the amp chassis or rather on an isolated "ground" plug connected to the common ground of the VSPS ? I guess I should put the VSPS in a box inside the amp case to minimize noise issues ?

No need to put the VSPS in a shielded box. It's only a MM phono stage so not especially noise sensitive.

The grounding should not be that critical, the TT can connect to the amp chassis, and the VSPS COM can connect to the amp chassis.

There may be a problem if the phono stage and line stage share a common power supply. Take a try and see approach.

/R

Hi, I'm new here and have ordered my Phonoclone-3 boards...problem is I have an old version of Excel so I can't down load the parts list. could someone be so kind as to attach a pdf file or the like. The resisters are not a problem (which ones are carbon?) I can read the values from the schematic..its the silver mica's, op amps ect...that I really need to know.
cheers,
Kirk

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You'll need the BOM, it's pretty critical information.

Open Office 3 can view it, or you can download a free patch from microsoft to enable reading and saving to the new formats from within Office 2003 (and possibly Office 2000).

If you are still having trouble email me I have version saved to the old format waiting to send to you, it's something that comes up from time to time.