The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Hello
I've got 2 full sets of 'Phonoclone + VSPS + PSU' from our group buy.
Set contains:
pcb Phonoclone with parts;
pcb VSPS with parts;
pcb PSU with parts.

Pcbs are made on FR4 laminate with 70um copper; dual layer; solder masks; descriptions on top layer.
Parts: Beyschlag 1%/0,6W resistors; RIAA Wima FKP2 2,5%; electrolitycs are Rubycon, Panasonic FC/FM, BC Components etc.

Pictures and drawings: http://ahaja.fotosik.pl/albumy/580167.html

If anyone interested let me know on email or PW.

Regards Krzysztof

in fact you are right. we are behind an aluminum curtain. You must have a lot of patience here (which I don't have). I usually order my goods from Belgium and pray. See, here in Italy sometimes miracles do happen (very rarely though).

so you use one double opamp for phonoclone? i'm looking for a better descrete opamp but single package.
Thanks and greets,
MV

I think you could build a VSPS to offer similar sound quality to the Phonoclone 3, but to do this you would have to move to single op-amps, and use an Xreg voltage regulator for each channel.

The stereo VSPS circuit will not compete with high-end phono stages, but it should hold it's own against any commercial product selling for $750 or less.

For improved dynamics and especially improved detail, you need to use single op-amps, high performance voltage regulators, and preferably a dual mono power supply.

The only inherent limitation of the VSPS vs. the phonoclone is the phonoclone uses inverting op amp topology and VSPS does not.

/rjm

PS The comments re. Schottky diodes on the link you provided mirror my own experience. I also heard a significant loss of bass response, dynamics compared to a regular high current bridge rectifier.

Hy, RJM.
Thanks for your reply.
I have also built a TNT Indiscreto (www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/indiscreto.html) and this phono stage is very detailed and good dynamic.
Have you ever compared the VSPS with TNT Indiscreto or another phono stage?
The sound of VSPS is hotter, while TNT is more dynamic and detailed.
I use both pre phono, because i not very happy the sound of this phono stage, I seek the hot sound of VSPS with detail and dynamics of TNT.
Sorry for my english, I hope you understand me.
Regards Mario.

DARIO1997 said:
Have you ever compared the VSPS with TNT Indiscreto or another phono stage? The sound of VSPS is hotter, while TNT is more dynamic and detailed. I use both pre phono, because i not very happy the sound of this phono stage, I seek the hot sound of VSPS with detail and dynamics of TNT.

I'll admit right now that I'm not familiar enough with the transistor circuit to critique it in detail, but the design seems solid to me. I don't know how effective the simple long-tailed pair is as a gain block compared to an op-amp, but I presume the designer did his homework and it does the job.

I like the MOSFET power supply design, though I'd change a few things if I was going that route.

Moving to a moving coil cartridge and the Phonoclone 3 would be a definite step up, and I think it would give you the sound you are looking for. Both the VSPS and Indiscreto could be reworked to get close to the same result, I imagine, but its a question of time and effort.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The VSPS circuit is designed for an op amp with a GBW of about 8 MHz and moderately low voltage noise. There is no best choice, any of the recommended ones will be fine. I would use the OPA2134 or NE5532 for the dual circuit, OP27, OPA134 or NE5534 for the single.

Switching op amps is one of the least effective changes you can make anyway. It doesn't make much of a difference.

There is little point spending money on the OPA627 as the input impedance isn't high enough to benefit from the FET input stage.