The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Hello northernsky,
the breaker of the flat is conservative... 3KW is a lot. You would have an oven, washing machine and two current source amps to adequately blow this.
You can change this to an industrial type. See Schieder Electric products which will actually give you more headroom.

BTW: I am a little disapointed in the performance of the Phonoclone. I have tried a jfet stage loading, better PSU, batteries etc. The problem is that in this design there are OpAmps and these are too loud to be used for "hifi".
Anybody have the same experience?
Cheers,
MV

noise

My VSPS didn't used to make noise, but now there is a hum that is very loud when my turntable isn't plugged into the preamp and still obvious when the turntable is plugged into the preamp. Also I don't know how grounding turntables is supposed to work but there is a ticking noise that comes from the table even when it isn't plugged into the wall. Both the ticking noise and the hum get louder when I don't ground my turntable to my stereo amp but are still there when I do ground it. Do you have any Ideas why I'm having these problems? Thank you!

to clarify

It's loud when nothing is grounded, it's very loud when the turntable out isn't connected to the vsps it's still there but much quieter when everything is connected and grounded to a common ground. and this is a ticking and a humming, the ticking has always been there through two record players whether they are on or off but that hum hasn't
thanks

Have you check the vsps schematic for correct wiring, maybe wire already loose, shorted to some place which is not suppose to be?

Do not cross your AC power cable with your signal line.

I have experience with a loud hum b4, but that time i miss connect the +12v to -12v terminal.

Since you said your vsps is working fine previously, the I suspect maybe the incoming signal grounding is loose or not grounded to 0v.

well I tried to ground everything, to my stereo amp and then to the ground, that includes the turntable and the vsps and that didn't really make any difference. I'm not talking an incredibly loud hum but it's definitely audible. the ticking is odd too, it's probably about 5 ticks per second and it comes from the turntable at all times even if it is unplugged.
I went through and re-wired the whole amp because it was pretty messy, I thought that was maybe causing some issues, it wasn't but now it's neater!
If I unplug the input into the vsps it makes a loud (loud) sound- is that normal?

thanks for the reply!

If like this, i suggest you test you equipment one by one to make sure which one cause the humming and work with it.

turntable --> vsps ---> power amp ---> speaker.

Test your power amp 1st, by shorting out the input signal to ground (using paper clip, crocodile clip or a shorted rca connector)

If no humming then plug in your vsps, short the input,

If you found humming, it mean something wrong with your vsps grounding, So solve it first.

Then plug in your turntable, if you fround humming or ticking, then the defect is from the turntable.

About grouding you can read more info at RJM website.
http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_guide.html

Note, the ac ground and the main transformer are grounded on one ground lug. The 0v dc ground is grounded on another ground lug.

Good luck

Hi all;

first of all, i'm new on the forum; i've been looking around a bit, but hope to contribute in the future.

Since i am looking at building a phono stage for my mm cart. i thought the VSPS would be good.
(currently 4mv output, thinking of buying an upgrade of 5,5 in the future)
(ortofon om5e to 2m)

I went through the entire thread (pfeew) and made my own eagle version of the scheme and pcb with a few adaptations i found on here as well.

since i am rather creative:cool: but not (yet) very good at amp design (or PCB for that matter) i'd like some of the experts to look at it.

there are two points that need a bridge, but i'd simply do that p2p on top of the board and remove the traces.
for the moment they're there to clarify.

i'll be etching them myself using the toner method, or at a local place if i find one.
(i etched a few boards in the past, albeit with developing etc. during the time i still had my uncles photo gear at hand)

i plan on building them first with the stuff i can get my hands on quickly, and afterwards maybe one with some better parts.

thanks in advance,

Thomas

Attachments

• archief.zip
    47.1 KB · Views: 100

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The single channel, single sided VSPS board does not lend itself to the most elegant layout. I removed it from the pcb page just the other day, but include it below for your reference.

Some comments on your circuit and layout:

1. You probably want mounting holes to mount the boards to the case.
2. It's bad practice to have traces forming acute angles. Keep everything 90 deg. and wider.
3. Ground order should be kept to IN-, R1, R2, (Out- and R7), (C6,7), (C4,5), COM.
4. Try using the POLY command in eagle for more professional looking results.
5. If you are going to the trouble of using the LM337/317 you might as well add the additional capacitor on the adj terminal for improved performance.
6. Since you are the only person I know to make a single channel VSPS, please consider scrapping the LM317 for the Xreg! That would be cool.

Attachments

• pcb-vsps100e.zip
    50.4 KB · Views: 93
thanks a lot, i've only just started work with eagle.
i'll keep the trace thing in mind.

by the looks of it, i think its best to omit the regulators on board, and build the xreg instead.

what do you think is best, fitting them both on one board, or just taking your designs, and bridging the non used components?

thanks for the input;

greets,

Thomas

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you are going to fab your own boards, what I suggest you do is start from the Xreg board, enlarge it, and add a VSPS channel (without regulators), copying my layout fairly closely.

Note that my VSPS board has the traditional feedback loop, while you have gone with the new one that puts C3 and R6 in the loop, so there will be differences.

Anyway this option gives you a chance to develop your Eagle skills, and results in a relatively neat package, while still being fairly safe.

/R

OK, sorry to be the noob again, but i'm stuck with eagle

I added the vsps scheme to the xreg, but cant seem to be able to position the components on the pcb.

its as if they are in a layer i'm not working in, since i can only select the actual signal lines.

the zip with the files is in the post.

could anyone tell me how to "grab" the components, i'm not asking anyone to lay them out for me.
I've been trying for an hour and its getting quite annoying; also i dont find anything in my tutorial or on the web.

thanks in advance, sorry to be a pain,

Thomas

Attachments

• archief.zip
    45.7 KB · Views: 66
I've come to the conclusion that it will be the easiest for me to simply get the 2x2 original pcbs made, and then leave out the unnecesairy components.

I found a very cheap local place, in total it probably would cost me 15 euros for the pcb's.

now getting my gainclone psu to work, somehow the rectifier doesnt do what its supposed to.
i guess i'll just buy prefab bridges because i think i might have cooked the diodes...:bawling: i
ts a test for the moment anyway, BR100 poweramp and 12au7 preamp coming up in the future:)

thanks anyway for the effort, i'll keep you guys posted in another thread on my projects.

greets,

Thomas