The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have no image hosting at this time, I will work on that...

You can attach images to your diyaudio posts, click "advanced options" when you post.

I don't like that op amp, and the opa I have are also not as good.
Is this circuit not capable of running the LM?

It isn't about what you like, or what the circuit can or cannot do. It's about whether the parts you are using are defective or damaged.

Also, "OP, OPA, LM" have no general traits, they just relate to which company makes the chip. The particular op amp you are using is not ideal for the VSPS circuit, however, mostly because of the high gain-bandwidth product.

C=1/(2*PI*f*R)

R is the input impedance, use 22k if you don't know.
f is the bass cut off frequency, use 5 Hz.
C is the value of the coupling capacitor to use.

It works out to 2.2 uF. If your imput inpedance is higher, the capacitance can be smaller, and if it is smaller the capacitance should be larger.

No need to consult LTspice on this.

I must be doing something wrong, because using the above formula with 22k input impedance and 5 hz cutoff I get 1.44uF...
Solving for 5hz and 2.2uF I get an input impedance of 14.4K...

Actually, in this application the NE5532 is better than an LM4562 - If you sim the circuit, the noise floor of the NE5532 is at -80dB; while the LM4562 is at -73dB. This is due to the fact that an MM cart is high impedance. The NE5532 behaves better in real life situations than the LM4562 in this case. Better yet, a low noise FET-based input would be even better due to lower voltage noise. (Analog has those, albeit in single versions.)

I Should have mentioned!
I use a Goldring Eroica H cart, which is a high output moving coil type.
Came with the MMF 7 table when I bought it ~2003..
I suppose there is little difference between that and a mm though, its a
47k ohm.
I like as much separation as I can get, the LM seems to have more, but I could be wrong.
:/ this means more rolling...

You can attach images to your diyaudio posts, click "advanced options" when you post.

It isn't about what you like, or what the circuit can or cannot do. It's about whether the parts you are using are defective or damaged.

Also, "OP, OPA, LM" have no general traits, they just relate to which company makes the chip. The particular op amp you are using is not ideal for the VSPS circuit, however, mostly because of the high gain-bandwidth product.

Ahh, I see. I suppose I will have to do some more reading.. I perceive more separation with the LM in other devices.

No "advanced options" button on my end, I figured it out though.
I can include a good picture of underneath, or a specific angle/area IF you like.

:)

Attachments

• IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Can't see ceramic decoupling caps there. Also - using sockets with the LM4562 isn't recommended. In any case, the LM4562 is too fast for a perfboard setup. In the ideal case, you're looking at ground planes/star layout for LM4562-based VSPS.

If you want better channel separation, you could build a VSPS using a dual mono layout. Use something like an AD797 in that case. Great opamp, low noise, only 8Mhz (G=10). Your Eroica H is low inductance. So loading with something lower than 47k is even better. No FET-based opamp needed for that.

Well, since you are using sockets though you might as well just pop out that op amp and switch it for a NE5532.

What are you using for a power supply here?

Finally, just a note that testing out phono stages "in the nude" (i.e. uncased an un-shielded) is not recommended. The circuit almost always picks up hum and noise as a result.

Well, since you are using sockets though you might as well just pop out that op amp and switch it for a NE5532.

What are you using for a power supply here?

Finally, just a note that testing out phono stages "in the nude" (i.e. uncased an un-shielded) is not recommended. The circuit almost always picks up hum and noise as a result.

12V 1A dc transformer.

Actually nude it worked quite well, maybe once or twice it cut out.
when i installed into the case I am using (carver c1) it started to do the cutout thing as mentioned.
That was when I figured the 100uf cap value-the one in your page where I got the ability to build this -became an issue.

Can't see ceramic decoupling caps there.

If you want better channel separation, you could build a VSPS using a dual mono layout. Use something like an AD797 in that case. Great opamp, low noise, only 8Mhz (G=10). Your Eroica H is low inductance. So loading with something lower than 47k is even better. No FET-based opamp needed for that.

What value ceramic cap would you use?
What value resistor would you use?

Do you or RJM or anyone else have any drawings posted for a dual mono setup?
I haven't found one yet...
:)

I've been doing my BOM for stereo VSPS phono and I discovered this local company that does resistors for precision instruments and military, so I've ordered R4 and R5 for an accurate RIAA curve. They're 0.5% tolerance and 25ppm/K. Anyway, I've paid like 2.5 eur for them so if anyone needs those precision resistors PM me and I can send them at that price.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also they're quite funny looking :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The qualitative total RIAA error is approximately,

sqrt(R4_tol^2+R5_tol^2+C1_tol^2+C2_tol^2)

So even if your resistors are 0.5%, your capacitors are most likely 5% and the RIAA error is still 5%. The BOM values aren't the "exact" RIAA values anyway, just the nearest commercially available set of parts values.

Nice looking resistors, I just wanted to dispel the notion that you need to use really high tolerance resistors in the RIAA section.

G'day all, just a quick comment, whilst accurate RIAA eq is fair enough, what is actually even more important is accurate 'matching' between the two stereo channels.

This is very, very important to the quality of the stereo image and other allied things as I've proven myself over the last couple of days with my own DIY gear. Regards, Felix.

Last edited: