• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Phono Stage

Hmmm...I am not really sure what I might have done wrong...here are a couple pictures, although i suppose it's tough to tell.
4353853192_a3469f5032_o.jpg

4353104587_4474b8078f_o.jpg

Thanks again,
byron

One problem I have noted...there seems to be some AC coming from the power supply, which I can't imagine is helping the situation...looks like ~50mV from the +ve rail, ~25mV from the -ve rail...
I have tried putting it in a metal case - didn't seem to help. I do notice that the amount of noise can be changed by moving the output IC's around...but not removed..
regards,
byron

I changed to a different PS that measured NO AC and the hum has reduced very significantly...now I need to put it back in it's (aluminum) case and see what happens...I am still unconvinced that everything is good..I think I may re-do the signal wires with some shielded cat5 or something and see if that maybe helps sa well..
byron

Yeah, so I am not sure what's going on with that...anyway, I changed the power supply, and re-mounted the cartridge - I think that was what the problem was in the first place! I hooked it back up to the ARC and it was humming a lot too...so I remounted it, and voila - the phono stage is singing, and rather nicely too!
what a trial, but anyway...thanks again.
b

Peter,

I have a MM cartridge with an internal impedance of 660 ohms and an output of 3.6mV. Since the standard 75db gain won't work with the current output provided, and two nice resistors to make the gain 90db instead of 75db are cheaper than 2 nice step up transformers, I wondered if you might be able to provide the value for R2/3?

Thanks!

Chris

I would normally use all nude Vishays in phono circuit, however one specific value, 330k, would be very expensive if ordered from Vishay (where pricing is proportinal to resistance and would be approx $30pc). So I combine Caddocks and Vishays and it works well.

From my experience with chip amps, Caddocks MK132 worked really well in shunt and feedback locations, actually much better than Vishays S102, for series applications though, Vishays are hard to beat.

All the locations are probably equally critical in this circuit, but if you want to experiment, I would first try with 3k3 series resistors.

Loading a Denon DL-304

Dear Peter,
Some time ago - long before this new model of yours - I bought a phono-pre from you. I use Cinemag transformers to amplify the signal from my Denon DL-304 moving coil pickup. This combination has served me well, but lately I have investigated a little into the loading of my Denon DL-304.

If I understand the schematics right, the loading resistor in your phono-pre is 47kohm. I have seen that someone recommend 100ohm for moving coils like this. Would this be a recommended and possible modification?

Thanks.

regards
Jan Ove from Norway

Jan,

There are almost as many opinions about how to best load MC cartridges as there are MC cartridges.

Here's a link to a simple method of loading the secondary of your step-up. The math is pretty simple, but try plenty of values as certain ratios will cause ringing in your transformers.

K&K

Thank you very much. Very helpful link. With the help of this, I also found another that I am sure you know about, but may be of interest for others: SUT

Regards
Jan Ove