• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Phono Stage

just wanted to say that this is the most detailed and transparent phono stage I've ever heard. I thought my olde Threshold FET-10/PC was _really_ good, but in comparison 'The Phono Stage' makes the FET-10 sound muddy and indistinct. Now I feel an urge to upgrade my entire turntable system... thanks for the good work on this PCB and circuit - it's truly a wonder.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Question re : PCB Boards needed?

Hello Peter.
I am very interested in your phono stage but have a question in regards as to how many PCB boards are actually needed for the build.

In post # 77 you stated:

"You will need two PS boards, but could do with only one phono board by cutting it in half. The layout allows separate wire feed with dedicated bypass caps. I will be presenting it soon.
However, constructions wise, it's easier to simply populate one side only (phono) on each complete board."

In the excellent photo examples presented in this thread it looks like there is only one Power Supply (PS) PCB board and one Phono PCB board being used.

Have you had a chance to document the use of 2 PS boards?

Is my assumption correct that one could either use:
(a) one PS PCB board and one phono PCB board for a build
(b) or two PS PCB boards and two phono boards for a build?

Thank you for your time
Cheers
Frank M

I'm afraid this is probably somewhere in this thread, but I've read it (read most of it a while ago) and haven't seen any instructions for ordering the boards for this project. Nor what's included in terms of instructions other than this thread. Can someone illuminate me? Thanks.

Carl

Hi Peter,
Would it be ok to use one board per channel for balanced operation ? I have another balanced phono that was built from four mono boards but it sounds decidedly odd (when compared to my Klyne)
Cheers,
Lara.

I don't think you can take just two separate channels and use them in balanced mode, as this would effect filter's characteristic.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I used the Hammond extruded enclosure by breaking off the amplifier and mounting it higher than the power supply. It all fit nicely, with a copper spreader for the TO-220 chips tied to the bottom of the extrusion. Will post pictures later. Enjoying listening to it too much to take it out of the system for pics.

I used a Hammond Extruded and made custom panels via Front Panel Express. The chassis _was_ a little short and I just barely managed to make everything fit. The IEC jack was really really close to the transformer though. On the RCA side, keep everything high to stop physical interference with the board/RCA jacks.

btw - I got in a Denon 103-R yesterday and the volume level is perfect. I was amazed that I actually got more gain with the .28mV cart versus the 2.5mv of my old Dynavector 10X5. I suppose that is the function of the zero impedance input (which I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around).

Last edited:
Hey Peter (and everyone else)
Just wanted to let you know...I originally had the dynavector 17D3 installed on my 'table, and while it sounded really good, at 38Ohm internal impedance with a 0.3 mV output, I just wasn't getting enough gain with my pass B1.
Anyway, I recently acquired the new Lyra Delos - at 5.5 Ohms and .6mV output, it has more than enough gain and sounds fantastic!
I would recommend this cartridge to anyone. Stunning dynamics and bass extension, smooth highs and it's also an excellent tracker!
Regards,
Byron