The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Joined 2002
Paid Member
A funny problem...

Hi guys,

This isn't really off topic, but it's silly question so why start a new thread? :)

What would you do with a bunch of 2sj108V? I got them last year
when I thought my stash of 2sj74s were lost. Anyway, their Idss
range from 11 to 18mA. They should work fine for differential pairs
but there's only so many Aleph J one really needs. I guess they can
work in an P-channel version of the B1.

Their low dissipation compared to 2sj74 limits their use. Also, I don't have
any similar Idss 2sk170/2sk370.

What other applications can you suggest for them?

Thanks,
Dennis

Regarding Subwoofers, one poasibility is to make "hidden" Subs that serve as armchairs, with the woofer hidden under the butt...free massage included with the danger of magnetizing one's balls :D. Anyway, no hurry. Family first, cars/speakers second... ;)

You are aware of the laxative effects of sub-bass I take it? Can you run quickly? Also do make sure that you do not have to pass the kitchen en-route as a knife attracted by those magnetised spheres could do untold damage.;)

CanAm Man...That is one bad a$$ car. Didn't Bruce McLaren die in one of those in the early 70's? Do I see a twin turbo small block chevy? Oh my...I'm jealous.

Evan

Good eyes. Yep. A small block with twin turbos, intercoolers and fuel injection. It runs about 850 HP. "Back in the old days" most of the original McLarens ran big block Chevy variants, and about 700 HP.

And yep. McLaren died while testing a later version of his CanAm cars. The rear body fairing opened up at speed. The outcome was tragic, and the McLaren team (from New Zealand, BTW) was never the same without it's leader.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi guys,

This isn't really off topic, but it's silly question so why start a new thread? :)

What would you do with a bunch of 2sj108V? I got them last year
when I thought my stash of 2sj74s were lost. Anyway, their Idss
range from 11 to 18mA. They should work fine for differential pairs
but there's only so many Aleph J one really needs. I guess they can
work in an P-channel version of the B1.

Their low dissipation compared to 2sj74 limits their use. Also, I don't have
any similar Idss 2sk170/2sk370.

What other applications can you suggest for them?

Thanks,
Dennis

just keep them and when you figure out that you need any new gadget , base construction on them

Looks like a Manta Mirage. Manta made Mclaren style "replicas" and kits back in the 70's and 80's. If it were a Mclaren racer it would almost certainly be right hand drive, as was the design style for sports racers in period.

See #18784!!!!! [Immediately next after the post you quote!!!] :rolleyes::rolleyes::roll eyes:

It is NOT a pastiche of a Mclaren........it IS a Mclaren!!!;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hey Brian

I've been busy working on another turntable design - it's getting close now!!! :D:D:D

Attachments

• Ancient Computer.jpg
    Ancient Computer.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 106
Now that looks promising c2c

..............I guess you have found that hidden hoard of 60 rev/day original recordings from the late classical C&W secret sessions. My regret that I have made no progress whatsoever since we last exchanged ideas on this subject. And now, being newly married, I have been advised that my stone TT prototype has to be removed from our home of love and mutual understanding.

My response was that my prototype water powered lithoturntable was a visual arts statement of the visual art form held by most experts as being the pinnacle of such achievement as well as being of the highest sonic standards imaginable. [[There have been but few expressions of a contrary opinion. In fact the only proponent of the contra view was SY [but he is well known as being incapable of supporting any view based on merely subjective values. He also rejected my offer to allow him to measure its performance subject to his paying shipping costs for forward and return carriage.]]

The speedy rejoinder from swnowmbo was that that was all a load of crap and that I needed my head examined yet again......and to now get it out of here.

Soooo......it is now central feature in our new rock garden....of course I miss it; but, hell, you know how it is! :eek:

PS: My fishing pal's daschounds' guessed that it was water powered and they do try to get it in motion again every time they see it. At least I imagine so as they cannot possibly be expressing an opinion on the visual and artistic merits of such a unique artefact!

Last edited:
With a Porsche gearbox ?

Yeah..... Not the most "honest" way to go with a modified and inverted Porsche 930 turbo gearbox (but it's still good for 750 ft-lbs of torque and has Quaife limited-slip).

I just didn't want (read, couldn't afford....) to shell out the $$$$ for an original Hewland transaxle... Sigh.....

All told, it's still a great "track day" car....!!

Did you race them CanAm? I took my formula license some 15 years ago in a Ford Anglia Cosworth motored cigar F3 open wheeler. Great fun!

I used to seriously race in U.S. SCCA A/Production, but could not travel "with the circuit" due to work. I was mostly a "weekend racer". I raced regionally in the northeast U.S. for about five years in the late 60's.

I started historic racing in the late 90's with a clapped-out McLaren Mk 8 with a sickly Reynolds large block and a number of fatigue cracks(!) in the aluminum monocoque. Tech Inspectors (and I....) realized it was time to retire that tub. Since then, I've re-engineered the are with a tube chassis, Chev small block and turbos, and Left Hand drive--it ultimately be both a "track day" car and a "190 MPH street car".

Nope. Not a historic Mk 8 any more, but it will be a more practical chassis, and a lot less $$$$ than a fully restored original.

Looks like a Manta Mirage. Manta made Mclaren style "replicas" and kits back in the 70's and 80's. If it were a Mclaren racer it would almost certainly be right hand drive, as was the design style for sports racers in period.

True, in part. Tim and Brad Lovette in Southern California (Costa Mesa, I think) did repair bodywork on damaged original McLarens, back in the 1970's. The also "splashed off" body molds to make replacement panels for a number of the independent McLaren Mk8 racers. They later used th molds to make a "streetable" versions of the McLaren with either right/left hand drive, and an open or enclosed cockpit. (I guess "copyrights" were not a big issue back then.)

They also offered a low-performance, low-cost chassis that would take a small block Chev V-8, CORVAIR transaxle (running in reverse rotation), and Volkswagen or Mustand front suspension. The result was a nice looking car, woefully short in performance, handling, and reliability.

As few folks grabbed up the "Lovette" body panels, and built racing chassis for them, with anywhere from 500 to 900 HP. (Six guys, including me, are doing that, as far as I know). I'm also "removing" the Lovette body mods to return the car to more of an original McLaren look.

There is very little in common between my car and a Manta, except for the body panels........ :)