The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

For the remainder, the Dutchess of Earl is on a Low-Mod diet.
In the meantime, he's reading the book : Soothing words for IBS individuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwJ3FMLlrSQ

After three days of mains interruptions due to a bad connection somewhere in my street, and many hours of running on backup generator juice, our mains power provider figured yesterday that time was due to hit our main fuse box with 400Vac.
(230Vac on the phase wire, plus a 2/3 Pi shifted phase on the neutral)

Amazing what a handfull of extra volts can blow up in ten seconds, ptl flat-screen TV's are equiped with overvoltage protection.
The gas-heated combination boiler for warm water and house heating is functional again since an hour or two, >$1k in labor and parts renewal cost.
The 2nd combination boiler for the swimming pool will be fixed next week.

(the fully automatic espresso maker is toast, as is the kitchen exhaust hood, and a bunch of 12V transformers for integrated ceiling lights. etcetera, etcetera)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
After three days of mains interruptions due to a bad connection somewhere in my street, and many hours of running on backup generator juice, our mains power provider figured yesterday that time was due to hit our main fuse box with 400Vac.
(230Vac on the phase wire, plus a 2/3 Pi shifted phase on the neutral)

Amazing what a handfull of extra volts can blow up in ten seconds, ptl flat-screen TV's are equiped with overvoltage protection.
The gas-heated combination boiler for warm water and house heating is functional again since an hour or two, >$1k in labor and parts renewal cost.
The 2nd combination boiler for the swimming pool will be fixed next week.

(the fully automatic espresso maker is toast, as is the kitchen exhaust hood, and a bunch of 12V transformers for integrated ceiling lights. etcetera, etcetera)

From this I assume that Jacco iz suggesting that running 400Vac would be a bad idea...... :down:

The dachshunds say smoke 'em if ya got 'em......

Attachments

• Wile E Coyote - Harley Davidson......jpg
    Wile E Coyote - Harley Davidson......jpg
    35 KB · Views: 82
You're provoking me into a Sin Bin visit.
I said I'm on a Low-Mod diet.

I've spent several Xmases (?) on top of the roof, trying to catch Santa before he went through the chimney.
The kids were convinced I was working on roof somethings, and making a joke because I'm actually pathetic.
(if I ever catch the bloke, I'll nail his red riding hood azz)

US domestic gear is fool-proof up to 200Vac ? (sqrt3 times 115Vac)

Last edited:
Uh -- about the simple home-brew "camera" in Zen Mod's vid (10:06 AM -- two posts above this one) : Granted, I am not the world's most technically knowledgeable photographer, but I did take a few courses way back decades ago. Long story shortened --

1. Every elementary "lens" I've read about is of the pinhole type, where a needle punctures tinfoil to make a tiny (sub-millimeter hole), and the edges are then smoothed to control light diffraction. But the diameter of this constructor's plastic part seems approximately close to a centimeter.

2. The resultant aperture is so small that images have to be captured in full sun with the camera on a stable platform -- tripod, bench, equivalent. Also, the film's "speed" should be roughly in the 400 zone, to avoid getting into what could be called a version of reciprocity failure.

So, what alternate reality is my ancient brain not grasping here ???