The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just to say I'm pleased all is well wid de pooch!:):)

I rescued Buddy back in Feb and when he went to my vet she said he needed dental work and that the "lump" on his back needed to be removed. She offered to do mine to - but of course my response to her was "lump - what lump???"

Buddy iza older dog (matches me great) and I like to rescue the older ones as very few people are will to give them a new home. The down side is that they often have health problems that have been long neglected - as is the case with him. They had to extract 9 teeth on him - but I'm sure that he will feel much better inna few days.... :D:D:D

I had intended to get him in last month but Mama Mimi passed away and that used up his funds - so a bit of a delay with things there.

Have to admit that I have only had one rescue dog, a feral English Pointer which had been dumped in the Irish countryside. She had lived through to the following autumn until a farmer found her 3/4 starved in a ditch. He took her in and I went to see him....to cut a long story short, she came home with me there and then! Turned out she was also mildly epileptic, but was a great bird dog - despite being totally unmanageable. Eventually by accident I found that she was 90% obedient to signals from a "shepherd's caul" - a primitive single hole button like whistle. Once wormed and on a proper diet she prospered well and other than a daily pill was 100% fit until the age of about 15! Great dog, great friend.:) I'll try and find a pic to scan.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Have to admit that I have only had one rescue dog, a feral English Pointer

I've been rescuing pets most nearly all of my life when I found my 1st stray in the alleyway - I was around 5 y/o then. Up to around a dozen or so now that I've helped along in life. I've had my purebred Akita's and Chow-Chow's too - but I like to go after the ones that are good animals just looking for a good home.

Here are a couple of photo's of Buddy staggering around after his return home - and one of him recovering in hiz daddy's big chair. :D:D:D

Attachments

• Buddy in the yard after his surgery 06-07-2012.JPG
    Buddy in the yard after his surgery 06-07-2012.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Buddy After Surgery 06-07-2012.JPG
    Buddy After Surgery 06-07-2012.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 88
I'm particularly interested in learning the sonic signatures of:
- added odd-order harmonics
- added even-order harmonics
- TIM from slow devices with really excessive feedback
and probably a few others unnamed for obvious reasons (as my problem is in the ID and naming).

I only got up to this part. Way too long for the pub.

If you want to train your ear. Go buy yourself two 2nd hand Trace Eliot Bass amps and I will tell you what to do with them.
It is gonna set you back around $2000 but you can always sell them at about the same price, so no loss really.
If you are interested in doing that I will tell which model etc.

I am most interested in the separation of musical instruments. I want to hear percussive notes sound and feel like percussive notes. When I hear bass notes I want to hear the tone of the instrument, and be able to say "why the hell is Jaco Pastorius playing a Fender Precision on this track, and why did he choose to play an F# on that 16th note triplet, did he stuff up? Holy **** this amp is awesome. I never heard that before". After that then I would comment about the harmonics. 2nd harmonic tends to fill your soul, you feel it in your heart, like the music is rich in earthy tone. I really can't explain it. You have to experience it. 3rd harmonic can tend to sound like the music is more detailed.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Right-O chaps - let's get back to OT
1st - Buddy iz doing just fine - the 1st thing he did this morning was get up to to chase squirrels.... :D:D:D

Very much like brianco fishing for salmon he has yet to actually catch one - but haz alotta stories about the ones that got away..... :rolleyes:

2nd - thought for the day. Well - in my case I have several :D:D:D

Attachments

• yoga position - bent over backwards.jpg
    yoga position - bent over backwards.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 167
I only got up to this part. Way too long for the pub.

If you want to train your ear. Go buy yourself two 2nd hand Trace Eliot Bass amps and I will tell you what to do with them.
It is gonna set you back around $2000 but you can always sell them at about the same price, so no loss really.
If you are interested in doing that I will tell which model etc.

Prety much what I was going to say but much better.

Pity we limit this to how bass sounds like but we got to start samwhere.

So get Trace eliot and then get Mesa bogie.
To me Bass Eliot sound better but we al go different taste

Or go and listen to loads of Live stuff with or witout amps.

Can your fifi amp sound as good as grand piano?
How would you know if you never heard grand piano?
and how Church organ sound like if you never heard church organ?
And why a fender sound like Fender and not like Gibson and not like Richenbeaker
They are all tuned to (or shuld be) to make same note at same frequency but sound different because of different armonics (diffrent wood difrent glue different strings......) which one you like.
Would you drink Earl gray in the morning?
There is time and place and sound for any of those as there are different vines or teas
But this is just man made stuff so you can always go to forest and listen to birds or beach and listen to waves. (is free by the way)
can your Fifi stuff make proper hand clapping sounds or proper laugter?

We got built in software which has been trough thousands of years of evolution that can recognise natural sounds If you never been to forest or to beach is going to take same waking up but it will.
if you stuck in city sound made by other humans may already be in you data base.

And how does hand clapping sound in your room and can you find room where hand clapping sound better.

Can you fifi sound take you close to reproducing it
So you want Fifi Amp and you mention F5
Look at F5 circuit 2 Jfets 2 mosfets end off. ammazing!
build that and then go balanced.
You can already play with armonic content whit F5 balanced let you play a bit more.
So F5 take you prety close to the real thing
But how much crap are your speakers putting in the mix?
So go and listen to different speakers.

And what about source
wanna start argument about analog or digital?

Since this is a nice place for Off topic...

I was playing with some apps on my samsung smartphone, downloaded an app that traks the position of the ISS. So about 45 mins ago, I was able to see it as a bright dot flying overhead in the night, clear sky... (no moon to spoil it yet). Nice.
I must have looked like a lunatic to my neighbors, most of them enjoying the evening, while I was looking up to the sky with my eyes (and perhaps mouth) open wide...